Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 03-24-2023, 04:13 PM   #1
Half Smoke

graded stakes or low level - which easier to profit

I've always felt it's more enjoyable to bet on a graded stakes race than on a low level race

and it also seems easier to profit on a high level race - you can often see some in the race who are talented and consistent

but I'm not really sure about that - it's just an anecdotal observation

obviously it would seem like a bad deal to bet really big on a low level race if your bet is big enough to knock the odds down

I'm not a pro betting racing

it turns me off when I look at a low level race and I see the fave has finishes something like - 7, 3, 4, 2, 6 - and the others are even worse

yes, I know there could be a good bet if one is dropping or if his speed or pace figures are superior - but I tend to lose interest when I see that

what's your take on this - thanks

Last edited by Half Smoke; 03-24-2023 at 04:17 PM.
Half Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2023, 05:00 PM   #2
thaskalos

I love mid-level claiming races for older horses on the dirt. And my next-favorites are the low-level claiming races for older horses on the dirt. But unfortunately for me, these races are few and far between...having given way to the turf races and the maidens. A sad state of affairs, IMO.
Old 03-24-2023, 05:09 PM   #3
sharkey11

always liked cheap claiming races made nice scores on them back in the day having learmed at suffok dowms U thats what there was but like the gentleman above says hard to find today and when you do theyre 5-7 horse fields
sharkey11 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2023, 05:41 PM   #4
Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Smoke View Post
.I've always felt it's more enjoyable to bet on a graded stakes race than on a low level race

and it also seems easier to profit on a high level race - you can often see some in the race who are talented and consistent

but I'm not really sure about that - it's just an anecdotal observation

what's your take on this - thanks
You might not realize it, but the major difference between playing a Stakes race versus a lower class level race is that the player can generally count on all the entries trying to win the race. That’s because of the desire to get a piece of the larger purse monies involved.

That’s never the case with the lower-class races. As far as I’m concerned, the only way to detect the intentions in those type of races is to follow the live betting patterns. They can sometimes be either very obvious or very subtle. The understandable justification for this is the desire to get a piece of those sometimes very attractive betting pools.

Either way, the motivation is clearly to win money.
As an insider or an outsider isn’t that what this game is all about?
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2023, 06:17 PM   #5
Robert Fischer
clean money

Lightbulb

low level - a horse I've seen a flaw is entered in a race as favorite/2nd-choice.

stakes - Entertainment, and I'm looking for public bias/misconceptions about a star or class situation

Old 03-24-2023, 06:40 PM   #6
Bustin Stones

I think everything depends on the type of handicapping you favor. If you like to analyze the speed game, I think you should focus on lower purses. And if you like to analyze class, then focus on higher purse races.
Bustin Stones is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2023, 07:41 PM   #7
GaryG
Unreconstructed

I love maiden claimers, especially around two turns. One of my favorite plays is a sprinter stretching out. Watch the gallop outs closely, often the key to a live one.
Old 03-25-2023, 11:07 AM   #8
classhandicapper

I prefer playing high quality races, but one downside to them is that most of the trips, severe biases, race flow issues, training issues etc.. get wide discussion in articles, on social media, and on TV. So to find value you sort of have to disagree with the perception and hype coming from other serious players.

At the lower levels, many of the horses have issues and are less consistent. I think one of the keys to those races is finding a horse that’s very likely to fire its “A” race today. I think trainer is more important in cheap races than higher quality races.
Old 03-25-2023, 03:52 PM   #9
soflant

Gary G (Good gallop out)

Gary: What specifically constitutes a good gallop out?
soflant is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2023, 04:08 PM   #10
46zilzal
velocitician

VALUE is where you find it

THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE, parimutuelly, between a graded stakes race and a lowly maiden claimer...NONE

IN BOTH situations, as a matter of fact with ALL wagering opportunities, one looks for odds mismatches to the reality of a horse's winning, as the race itself is merely the CONDUIT for gambling. That conduit could be the March Madness college basketball tourney, a fight, NBA, NHL, MLB, an election, etc etc. as the relative merits of each race is different.

I make the most $$$$$ at cheapy tracks when biases are extant (Mahoning Valley Downs and others) where big money has not yet fouled the pools.

Horses are LESS CONSISTENT? That goes without saying, but the ROI makes up for that as gambling, NO MATTER the conduit, boils down to finding value and bypassing the rest.
Old 03-26-2023, 06:51 AM   #11
SBD400

One school of thought is that great handicappers who strongly believe in their opinions prefer better horses as they are more dependable and takes some of the “luck” factor out of the equation. Of course no horse is really dependable in any given race.
SBD400 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2023, 07:36 AM   #12
Johnny V

I too prefer mid level to lower claiming races on the dirt for older horses. In reply to the OP question I wouldn't necessarily say they are easier to profit from though because nothing is easy for me as far the handicapping puzzle in this enjoyable game goes.
Johnny V is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2023, 08:03 AM   #13
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
You might not realize it, but the major difference between playing a Stakes race versus a lower class level race is that the player can generally count on all the entries trying to win the race. That’s because of the desire to get a piece of the larger purse monies involved.

That’s never the case with the lower-class races. As far as I’m concerned, the only way to detect the intentions in those type of races is to follow the live betting patterns. They can sometimes be either very obvious or very subtle. The understandable justification for this is the desire to get a piece of those sometimes very attractive betting pools.

Either way, the motivation is clearly to win money.
As an insider or an outsider isn’t that what this game is all about?
Excellent point. Took me a while to figure that out.

95% of my bigger scores were in Stakes races. Always up and coming horses or horses being over-looked due to some “old school’ reason.
Old 03-26-2023, 08:05 AM   #14
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by soflant View Post
Gary: What specifically constitutes a good gallop out?
You’ll know it when you see it
Old 03-26-2023, 11:03 PM   #15
romankoz

[QUOTE=46zilzal;2866303]THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE, parimutuelly, between a graded stakes race and a lowly maiden claimer...NONE

This is about the same in OZ. I was quite surprised some years ago now to see a study of Maidens versus the better class and the favs in maidens actually had a better win percentage. The LOT (Loss On Turnover) was about the same for both groups.
romankoz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: