Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 04-20-2021, 11:32 AM   #1
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

European Super League

Twelve of the biggest soccer teams in Europe are attempting to form their own Super League...Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, ManUntied, ManCity, Tottenham, Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, Barcelona, AC Milan, Inter Milan, & Juventus.

The backlash and repercussions are massive. The Prem is threatening to deduct points from their six clubs to ensure relegation. UEFA (Union of European Football Associations) is threatening to disqualify those that are currently in the Champions League semifinals (3 of the 4 remaining teams) and from any future Champs League play.
The fans are up in arms, as well as the other 14 teams in the English Prem League. When soccer fans are upset, they protest...BIG TIME.
This is a pure money grab and I think there’s no way they get away with it.
Old 04-20-2021, 12:00 PM   #2
TJDave

Sounds like their respective leagues will have to go along or get buried. The leagues share revenues, right?
Old 04-20-2021, 12:12 PM   #3
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

It will be interesting, but I think the clubs have most of the power. Most of the threats are empty and won't be able to be done legally. It will be interesting to see if German clubs (Bayern, Dortmund) and PSG come along. If they join, it is a done deal in my opinion. But so far they seem against it.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2021, 01:38 PM   #4
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Supposedly, these 12 teams would still remain in their domestic league and play Super League games during the week. This extra league will generate tens of millions and severely widen the gap (which is already huge) between the rich teams and everyone else. They could buy entire squads of superstars.
It’s not good for the game in the long run...greed has once again reared its ugly head.

By the way, Bayern Munich has said they will not join this Super League.
Old 04-20-2021, 02:46 PM   #5
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

I would like to see it, but it looks like it's not happening — Chelsea and Manchester City are backing out.
Redboard is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2021, 05:27 PM   #6
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboard View Post
I would like to see it, but it looks like it's not happening — Chelsea and Manchester City are backing out.
Yep, appears DOA. I think that is better for the sport for sure.
Old 04-20-2021, 06:19 PM   #7
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

All English clubs have pulled out.

It's over.

Old 04-26-2021, 10:14 AM   #8
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

I'm a big fan of the English Premier league and I thought the Super League was a good idea.
The organizational structure of euro soccer is confusing to say the least. The "regular season " is ok. There are 20 teams in the English Premier league ( if you dont count the three teams that are relegated ever year, but that's another story) and each team plays the other teams twice - one home , one away. So each team plays 38 games. The season normally lasts from August to May. (Because of the pandemic things were adjusted a little the last two years. ) At the end of the season a trophy is presented to the team with the best record. So far so good. Here's the problem. Around 10 of the teams have no shot. The big six, those that were going to join the super league, have won that trophy since time immemorial.
There's no checks/balances. There's no draft. There's no salary cap, like we have in the U.S. Consequently, the big six have the most fans and the best stadiums as well as the highest payrolls. This was especially evident during the pandemic where teams couldn't sell tickets and had to rely on TV revenue. Nobody watches a Brighton vs. Fulham match. Ratings for the big six tower over the others.(to be continued)
Redboard is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-26-2021, 10:49 AM   #9
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
I'm a big fan of the English Premier league and I thought the Super League was a good idea.
The organizational structure of euro soccer is confusing to say the least. The "regular season " is ok. There are 20 teams in the English Premier league ( if you dont count the three teams that are relegated ever year, but that's another story) and each team plays the other teams twice - one home , one away. So each team plays 38 games. The season normally lasts from August to May. (Because of the pandemic things were adjusted a little the last two years. ) At the end of the season a trophy is presented to the team with the best record. So far so good. Here's the problem. Around 10 of the teams have no shot. The big six, those that were going to join the super league, have won that trophy since time immemorial.
There's no checks/balances. There's no draft. There's no salary cap, like we have in the U.S. Consequently, the big six have the most fans and the best stadiums as well as the highest payrolls. This was especially evident during the pandemic where teams couldn't sell tickets and had to rely on TV revenue. Nobody watches a Brighton vs. Fulham match. Ratings for the big six tower over the others.(to be continued)
Leicester won not that long ago, but yes, the big 6 win almost all the titles. And somehow Tottenham is included in that but they never win anything so really only big 5.
Old 04-26-2021, 10:57 AM   #10
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
With no salary cap it's all about the owner. Kind of like baseball here in the US.
ManCity was a middle of the road club (ala West Ham) until they were bought by some Sheikh who spent money and turned them into one of the best clubs in Europe almost overnight.
On the other hand, I'm an Arsenal fan and they seem about as far as you can be from another title. Currently in 9th or 10th place and going nowhere fast. They've been mediocre for 5yrs or more and are one of the biggest clubs in the world.
Liverpool went decades between championships before winning last year.

Your point is well taken though...many teams have no shot unless a rich guy buys the club, but even that is no guarantee of a trophy.
Old 04-26-2021, 02:28 PM   #11
myohmyjustify

Was this attempt to form the European Super League really any different than the Big 6 power football and basketball conferences when they threaten to leave the NCAA?
myohmyjustify is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-26-2021, 02:49 PM   #12
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by myohmyjustify View Post
Was this attempt to form the European Super League really any different than the Big 6 power football and basketball conferences when they threaten to leave the NCAA?
Can't see NCAA hoops going anywhere. The tournament is the one thing worth watching right now and it is largely because of the non power conference schools. The rest of the sport is in a decline similar to horse racing.

Football I could see it happening, though soccer financially is exponentially bigger. I can't figure out why the non Big 6 schools don't have their own playoff. It is painfully obvious by now no team outside those conferences (save Notre Dame of course) is ever getting in.
Old 04-26-2021, 03:01 PM   #13
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

JPMorgan Apologizes for Its Role in Super League

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/23/s...er-league.html

JPMorgan Chase apologized on Friday for its role in arranging billions of dollars in financing for a breakaway European soccer league, admitting in a statement that it had “misjudged” how the project would be viewed by fans.

JPMorgan Chase had pledged about $4 billion to underwrite the new league, but the American investment bank did not end up issuing it or losing any money: The league collapsed only 48 hours after it was announced, after more than half of its 12 founding clubs changed their minds and announced they would not take part.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: