Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-21-2019, 01:13 PM   #151
biggestal99

8,000,000 bet on the races yesterday at Monmouth.

Too bad about the heat.

No horses died or collasped yet again.

Would have been a great day for racing, nice undercard. Destroyed by scratches.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2019, 02:35 PM   #152
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits View Post
Do what? Better off to push boundaries? And the carnage would then fall mainly to whom?

Johnny V is 47 years of age, Luis is 27. Now, who do you think knows more about riding and about safety and rules? Why should the more seasoned riders be policing themselves when dealing with junior who is reining full speed ahead like a bull in a china shop?

This fine horse needs another rider. Maybe then, we can see how truly fast he is. Meanwhile, I hope he does come to the Travers.

Last night, Servis, West, and CEO Drazin enjoyed dinner together. That had to be rich. And, according to Asbury Press, Monmouth lost millions yesterday.

https://www.app.com/story/sports/201...park-millions/
If there is no enforcement for fouls, or if takedowns rarely happen because the best horse won then as a rider it is likely to your benifit to ride overly aggressive.

Carnage does not mean much with $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ is on the line, at least it is with these younger riders.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2019, 02:47 PM   #153
bobphilo

Quote:
Most welcome. ....I'm slackin' of late. I gotta figure out how to get some more of those green dots. I don't know how all that works. I really don't.
The way it works is you click the icon that looks like a scale underneath the word rep in the lower left and then a window pops up asking if you want to approve and add to the poster's reputation. You seem to have earned a pretty good number yourself.

Last edited by bobphilo; 07-21-2019 at 02:49 PM.
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2019, 02:57 PM   #154
bobphilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by airford1 View Post
I didn't see the race live or the head on but Johnny V is not going to yank his mount up like that for the drama. If I were the trainer we would be looking for a new rider.
Then he would have to admit to his rider's recklessness and his horse's interference and drop his lawsuit, which would be the classy thing to do, but don't expect that.

Last edited by bobphilo; 07-21-2019 at 03:07 PM.
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2019, 03:00 PM   #155
classhandicapper

I was at the shore for the weekend, went to the Haskell, went back to the hotel after the cancellation/delay and then went back to the track later. It was hot, but not outrageously uncomfortable the 2nd time around.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:40 PM   #156
Dream_Police

I defended Saez in the Derby but know I am not so sure. If this is they way he thinks he needs to ride in order to win these races then somebody going to get hurt or worse, killed. What did Mott say " if this was a $5,000 claimer he would come down" and they did and to not make this call because of "controversy" would and is shameful. I see another fine for Luis and possibly a hard look at a suspension.

Did anyone else think that the track announcer was a bit over the top or highly excited when he said there would be no change in the finish?
Dream_Police is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2019, 05:33 PM   #157
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
If there is no enforcement for fouls, or if takedowns rarely happen because the best horse won then as a rider it is likely to your benifit to ride overly aggressive.

Carnage does not mean much with $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ is on the line, at least it is with these younger riders.

GMB, let's see if riding overly aggressive benefits this jockey going forward. I've got a feeling he may be watched more closely for a while. Like you, I understand and know it happens daily but maybe not as blatantly or as willfully as this jock is displaying. Angel Cordero's riding style is kinda behind us.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2019, 05:51 PM   #158
GMB@BP

Quote:
GMB, let's see if riding overly aggressive benefits this jockey going forward. I've got a feeling he may be watched more closely for a while. Like you, I understand and know it happens daily but maybe not as blatantly or as willfully as this jock is displaying. Angel Cordero's riding style is kinda behind us.
I am all for safer riding and believe they let way to much go on, I am more in the camp of more takedowns for horses not staying in their lanes. I know its not the popular opinion but they need to set the expectation.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2019, 08:11 PM   #159
Benni

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobphilo View Post
Here's some food for thought regarding how quickly the stewards decided on a non DQ in the Haskell.

Denis Drazin owns Monmouth Park.
Denis Drazin owns a number of race horses trained by Jason Servis.
Denis Drazin is one of the attorneys representing Gary West in the KD lawsuit.

As I am not prone to conspiracy theories I think it's more likely that the stewards did not want to get caught up in the heat the Churchill stewards were subjected to but it is possible that Drazin's connection to Servis and West may have also been a factor.

As an aside, Max Security reminds me of another horse from way back named Marfa who was also unable to keep a straight path near his competitors and was nicknamed Marfa the Mugger.
What you mentioned is also covered in this interesting opinion piece. After reading this one of the things I wonder about is why do trainers continue to employee Saez? God help the horses and jockeys running in a race with Saez. He's horribly reckless and could very well cause a nasty spill one day.

https://thepressboxlts.com/opinion-d...re-a-hot-mess/
Benni is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2019, 08:40 PM   #160
dilanesp

Quote:
I hope you are right.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2019, 08:47 PM   #161
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benni View Post
What you mentioned is also covered in this interesting opinion piece. After reading this one of the things I wonder about is why do trainers continue to employee Saez? God help the horses and jockeys running in a race with Saez. He's horribly reckless and could very well cause a nasty spill one day.

https://thepressboxlts.com/opinion-d...re-a-hot-mess/
Saez decided he would start riding super aggressive the last few years, noticing that the Ortiz Brothers were doing it with impunity, with the Stewards rarely taking them down.....The Ortiz Brothers are the problem, same with Paco Lopez down in FLA.

If you doubt what I say, you haven't been watching the replays....Pick any day you want, they're doing it.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2019, 08:50 PM   #162
LemonSoupKid

This is getting interesting. Another just totally befuddling example of the lack of consistency that you see. I'm on record saying that WoW was clipping Maximum last time, and that video shows that.

But I mentioned this at the time and CJ would have been heartbroken ... on Belmont Day the Wood Stephens non-takedown of Hog Creek Hustle was criminal. Lanerie even admitted that he could have been, and he clearly should have been. Of course, I had Nitrous, the fast closing 2nd by a neck at 18-1.

I don't totally understand what they're looking at on all these inquiries, to be honest. There's no common thread that makes it easy to understand when they apply rules forcefully, or not.

Last edited by LemonSoupKid; 07-21-2019 at 08:51 PM.
LemonSoupKid is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2019, 09:23 PM   #163
Nitro

Based on what I’ve read so far it appears that my comments might stir up some controversy.

I don’t know about anybody else, but when I’ve got money on a horse I certainly don’t want to see any lethargic riding. I want to see some serious race riding which includes shutting off the inside path heading into the stretch.

Regarding Saez’s ride heading into the stretch he had the lead and if someone wants to come from behind and take a chance of squeezing between his horse and the rail then as far as I’m concerned any resulting incident is on the trailing horse. Being on the lead horse Saez has as much right to get to the rail as any other jockey. There’s no reason why the trailing horses can’t attempt to go around him on the outside.

How many times did Angel Cordero win the jockey standings at the Saratoga meet? That didn’t happen by accident or coincidence.
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2019, 09:33 PM   #164
dilanesp

Posted without comment:

https://twitter.com/PapaBeez/status/...504755712?s=09
Old 07-21-2019, 09:34 PM   #165
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
Based on what I’ve read so far it appears that my comments might stir up some controversy.

I don’t know about anybody else, but when I’ve got money on a horse I certainly don’t want to see any lethargic riding. I want to see some serious race riding which includes shutting off the inside path heading into the stretch.

Regarding Saez’s ride heading into the stretch he had the lead and if someone wants to come from behind and take a chance of squeezing between his horse and the rail then as far as I’m concerned any resulting incident is on the trailing horse. Being on the lead horse Saez has as much right to get to the rail as any other jockey. There’s no reason why the trailing horses can’t attempt to go around him on the outside.

How many times did Angel Cordero win the jockey standings at the Saratoga meet? That didn’t happen by accident or coincidence.
The rule in California is if the horse is anticipating an opening when the hole is shut off, there is no foul.

But once the horse gets in there, it's a foul to move in on him.