Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 05-18-2015, 07:58 PM   #1
nads1420
Veteran

Advise Needed: Going to Belmont

So i am considering going to Belmont for the first time. Can anyone give me advise about the grandstand and what to expect? Iv been to the Preakness infield numerous time. Is it anything like that? Because my parents want to go and they are pushing 60, no way I can see them enjoying themselves on the Preakness infield. What is the race visibility like?

thanks in advance
nads1420 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2015, 08:33 PM   #2
charm city whizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nads1420
So i am considering going to Belmont for the first time. Can anyone give me advise about the grandstand and what to expect? Iv been to the Preakness infield numerous time. Is it anything like that? Because my parents want to go and they are pushing 60, no way I can see them enjoying themselves on the Preakness infield. What is the race visibility like?

thanks in advance
Not good if your in the stands, at 6:45 the shadow of the building hangs over the track mAking it impossible to see who is who

Just remember a blur as they went by us in the lane, had no clue where chrome was until after they passed us
charm city whizz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2015, 08:35 PM   #3
nads1420
Veteran

and im talking about the general admission standing room only... not the grandstand seating...
nads1420 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2015, 08:42 PM   #4
RunForTheRoses

It is not at all like the Preakness infield. I hate to be a naysayer, I know there are some on this board who enjoy Belmont Day, but IMHO Belmont just doesn't do these big days right. I used to love Belmont...back in the 80s.
Place is going to be packed. Lines for everything. Rip off prices.
The track itself is beautiful and huge. There is a big "backyard" and a huge inside facility, since maybe 15-20 years ago much of the facility is closed off, I guess they open it all on the big day?
The Paddock area is great, the horses pass through inside going from the paddock to the main track, can see jockeys and trainers up close.
Enjoy the day, get there early.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2015, 08:45 PM   #5
bobphilo

ot abad deal
Quote:

thanks in advance
I have been to several Belmonts back in the days when all grandstand seats were just 2 bucks and as long as you got there early you could get the best seats in the house I would always stake out front row grandstand at the 8th pole. (Guess I'm dating myself here, LOL) Not a bad deal to get to see Seattle Slew, Secretariat, and Affirmed vs. Alydar win the Triple Crown. I expect now you have to pay a mint for any seats, if you can get them. Otherwise you just get to see the races by standing in front of the TV monitors.

Fortunately Belmont does not open the infield to the mob who are more interested in drunken revelry than the race they can't even see.

They're say that they expecting 200,000 people jamming the highways and public transportation trying to get in when Belmont can only accommodate 90,000. That's why in the past few years I've been watching the race from Living Room Downs and betting online.

Don't know what the situation will be this year and I suggest you contact NYRA for details. Anyway, I wish you luck in anyway you get to see this important race.
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2015, 09:17 PM   #6
tanner12oz

I was there last year and was unimpressed. Facility and infrastructure can't handle the pressure. I would skip it and go to Saratoga instead.
tanner12oz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2015, 09:34 PM   #7
tubesockshakur

Surprised, when I went the year smarty jones was running it felt like 55k at santa Anita.
tubesockshakur is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2015, 09:44 PM   #8
Rex Phinney

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubesockshakur
Surprised, when I went the year smarty jones was running it felt like 55k at santa Anita.
I went last year and it felt like 400,000 at Belmont. The lack of effort from the staff/ facility was the worst part IMO. They have been thru this enough times that they should do it better than they do.

No infield means all the drunken hanger ons are in the grandstands with the rest of us.

Also I was disappointed with what there was to see. It's not much more than a giant grandstand with a few betting windows and hot dog stands. I went at 8am expecting to spend the entire morning taking in sights and such and I think I saw everything by about 8:30. LOL
Rex Phinney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2015, 10:08 PM   #9
theflipper

If you are going non belmont day it beautiful track which you will appreciate. If you are going on Belmont day leave your parents home,you will be lucky to see anything lest you have a seat.They have been unmanned the last two times I attended,tough t o place a bet unless you know well in advance want you want to do
theflipper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2015, 06:25 AM   #10
tanner12oz

Don't expect to be able to adw either..cell service collapsed about race 5 last year
tanner12oz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2015, 06:37 AM   #11
RunForTheRoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Phinney
I went last year and it felt like 400,000 at Belmont. The lack of effort from the staff/ facility was the worst part IMO. They have been thru this enough times that they should do it better than they do.

No infield means all the drunken hanger ons are in the grandstands with the rest of us.

Also I was disappointed with what there was to see. It's not much more than a giant grandstand with a few betting windows and hot dog stands. I went at 8am expecting to spend the entire morning taking in sights and such and I think I saw everything by about 8:30. LOL
They do (or did) have Breakfast at Belmont. Another time I went on a tour of the backstretch. There was much to see in that.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2015, 08:04 AM   #12
minethatbird08

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunForTheRoses
They do (or did) have Breakfast at Belmont. Another time I went on a tour of the backstretch. There was much to see in that.
Not sure about Belmont but most tracks do not have the backstretch breakfast on big race days such as Derby and Travers.
minethatbird08 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2015, 08:15 AM   #13
minethatbird08

Quote:

thanks in advance
If your parents want to go then you should take them. My in-laws, in their 60s, did the Derby infield with me and my wife. They appreciated the experience even though it isn't necessarily their thing; I would present them with the information that the others here are providing and let your parents decide if they want to attend or not.
minethatbird08 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2015, 08:40 AM   #14
BlueChip@DRF
Random Numbers Generator

Location: In the grandstand looking under the seats for tickets or food
Bring a portable chair. On Belmont day, you may never find a seat. Small groups claim the benches and you are not allowed to sit on the staircase. It will be already crowded at Belmont if you take the train on Belmont Day.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:23 AM   #15
tiger rose

Home on the tv or a racing theatre is the way to go now days.
only have 32,000 seats in the place,Train and subway platforms are the choking points.
tiger rose is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: