Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 06-18-2012, 12:46 PM   #91
Canarsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog42
When is the last time the Thunder have been this bad shooting free throws?
When is the last time that Perkins attempted more free throws and made more than Kevin Durant? And also made a higher percentage? The leagues best free throw team misses 5 in one quarter. Amazing.
It's called NERVES plain and simple.
Canarsie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2012, 01:26 PM   #92
Canarsie

I'll give my take on the game then you can pick me apart.

I thought it was horrendously officiated with the disadvantage going to OKC. Durant got called for two cheap fouls possibly one the ref was out of position and miscalled it. As far as the number of shots Miami was going to the rack more that's why there was a big difference.

I thought Westbrook played ok he did get a little out of control right before Brooks took him out. Kudos to the reporter from the Oklahoman who asked him why he did that. I was asking myself the same question when he did that not redboarding. The only scoring threat was Harden who was having a horrible game shooting wise. I know Fisher made a nice four but gave it right with a silly foul. Still he had six assists to Westbrooks four you live and die playing that way when the jumpers don't fall. Durant only took one more shot than Westbrook my opinion says the spread should be around ten. Then again I'm not the coach or have 10% of his smarts.

I thought Perkens played well especially early he brought them energy. Collison was a non factor he will have to pick it up. I don't know if it was the criticism or what but Westbrook had a wide open three and declined to shoot. If he thought that he was cold hats off to him for declining. But the three ball killed them going 4-18.

Both benches were really non factors that probably will change. Both sides will need their secondary players to pick up a little slack.

Miami outrebounded OKC don't have the stats but my hunch is they have a great winning percentage winning when that happens. OKC needs to box out better especially since Miami in sending to guys back to the defensive end after the shot.

Bosh didn't have a good game shooting wise but did the little things. Four offensive boards among his eleven along with a key block on Durant.

Miami still befuddles me especially on two points. They put James in the corner and immediately OKC went into a very well done double team trap. There were a few twenty four second violations due to their good defense. Miami reciprocated OKC had a bunch also. Why they try to use most of their clock time with hardly any movement is just plain dumb. They were lucky the shots weren't going in for OKC that's a certain formula for blowing a lead.

It wasn't a great game to watch offensively but it was hard nosed playoff basketball.

It will be interesting to see if OKC is more concerned with the Battier three ball opening up the lane for the Heat. They did a much better job in the second half making movement in the lane much harder.

On to game four I have enjoyed the series so far from a neutral view. Durant is an animal with the ball nobody is better. His defense wasn't great but with is work ethic I'm sure that will be a major priority during the off season.

Hats off for Joey Crawford not calling a technical on an OKC player ( I forgot who) and just giving a stern lecture. At this point of the season let most of that stuff go unless its egregious.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:41 AM   #93
maddog42

Get ready for war tonight. No team has ever come back from being down 3-1 in
the 2-3-2 format. Tonights game is almost an elimination game for the Thunder.
If the the Thunder can win 4 straight from the Spurs, they can damn sure win
3 of 4 from the Heat.
Lets admit one thing though, the Heat are playing really well. A healthy Bosh added so much to their lineup. Last years loss to the Mavericks galvanized these guys.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:57 AM   #94
slew101

I expect Miami to play its best game of the series tonight. OKC has been very good in these types of games, so a great game for them could do it. But I expect Miami to win tonight.

Miami lost last year's series with bad second-half play in both Games 4 and 5. They had 8 and 9-point leads and could have buried Dallas with a win. It'll be interesting to see if the Heat can finish strong tonight if they are in position to go up 3-1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog42
Get ready for war tonight. No team has ever come back from being down 3-1 in
the 2-3-2 format. Tonights game is almost an elimination game for the Thunder.
If the the Thunder can win 4 straight from the Spurs, they can damn sure win
3 of 4 from the Heat.
Lets admit one thing though, the Heat are playing really well. A healthy Bosh added so much to their lineup. Last years loss to the Mavericks galvanized these guys.

Last edited by slew101; 06-19-2012 at 11:00 AM.
slew101 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2012, 11:40 PM   #95
ElKabong

Westbrook =Leon Lett moment.
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2012, 11:55 PM   #96
slew101

Tough way to end what was a brilliant game for Westbrook. Without him, Miami wins going away. He kept them in the game. Durant couldn't get enough shots, and Harden was awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong
Westbrook =Leon Lett moment.
slew101 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-20-2012, 01:21 AM   #97
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by slew101
Tough way to end what was a brilliant game for Westbrook. Without him, Miami wins going away. He kept them in the game. Durant couldn't get enough shots, and Harden was awful.
3 guys playing aggressive to the Thunder's 1.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-20-2012, 02:34 AM   #98
lansdale

Series MVP award to the officials

The officiating of these last two games especially was a bad joke. Westbrook took 35 shots in Game 5, roughly 2/3 of those taking it to the rack, and went to the line twice. The broadcast crew mentioned multiple times that he was being fouled on most of his drives, but as usual, the only close-ups came on those where he wan't. The non-calls against the Heat in the OKC paint were the biggest factor in the series. The NBA has decided that it's time for its marquee player to have a trophy. And BTW, I'm not an OKC fan - just someone who likes to see a game called fairly.
lansdale is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-20-2012, 10:28 AM   #99
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansdale
The officiating of these last two games especially was a bad joke. Westbrook took 35 shots in Game 5, roughly 2/3 of those taking it to the rack, and went to the line twice. The broadcast crew mentioned multiple times that he was being fouled on most of his drives, but as usual, the only close-ups came on those where he wan't. The non-calls against the Heat in the OKC paint were the biggest factor in the series. The NBA has decided that it's time for its marquee player to have a trophy. And BTW, I'm not an OKC fan - just someone who likes to see a game called fairly.
I try not to blame refs, but this is ridiculous. The Heat get phantom calls left and right, all shooting fouls, and the Thunder get none. Westbrook was fouled at least 10 times, and that isn't an exaggeration. He shot 3 free throws. The Thunder have no shot when that happens.

I particularly liked when Durant cleanly blocked Wade and they called him for a foul, then changed it to Westbrook who was barely in the picture. It was like they said well we missed it, but lets at least not give it to Durant.

Last edited by cj; 06-20-2012 at 10:31 AM.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-20-2012, 10:39 AM   #100
lamboguy

"and Chamberalin takes 3 steps and lays it it"

"Dave Lambier undressed him"

but

"Havlichek stole the ball"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu8Da...=youtube_gdata
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-20-2012, 11:20 AM   #101
Canarsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I try not to blame refs, but this is ridiculous. The Heat get phantom calls left and right, all shooting fouls, and the Thunder get none.
I agree with you almost 100%. If these are the top graded refs in the NBA the worst would probably be dismissed from NCAA Division III.

Serling has been tweeting that Brooks should take a "T" protecting his team. At first I really didn't think that was necessary but he won me over last night. It may not have changed anything but Doc Rivers gets teed up arguing non calls on behalf of his players. At worst the refs would be more aware that the coach is pissed and aware of the disparity.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:01 PM   #102
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarsie
I agree with you almost 100%. If these are the top graded refs in the NBA the worst would probably be dismissed from NCAA Division III.

Serling has been tweeting that Brooks should take a "T" protecting his team. At first I really didn't think that was necessary but he won me over last night. It may not have changed anything but Doc Rivers gets teed up arguing non calls on behalf of his players. At worst the refs would be more aware that the coach is pissed and aware of the disparity.
It is to the point now where he needs to blast them in a press conference and take the fine. He has to support his players, that is what coaches do.

I read Brooks turned down a 3 year, 11 million dollar extension. I'm not sure what he is thinking there.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-20-2012, 02:44 PM   #103
Canarsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
It is to the point now where he needs to blast them in a press conference and take the fine. He has to support his players, that is what coaches do.

I read Brooks turned down a 3 year, 11 million dollar extension. I'm not sure what he is thinking there.
Too late now he had to do it after the game to get maximum exposure. It was a golden opportunity and he chose a different path.

I'll give him credit for not knocking the Westbrook foul some press guy who was on the sidelines said he heard the staff say it. I'm an honest guy didn't know the clock reset rule was to five seconds after a tie up that needs to be changed.

Read a bunch of articles on his new contract offer also and my hunch is his agent is telling him he's worth more. Another option is there was contact for another position though it would seem INSANE to leave OKC.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:32 PM   #104
ceejay

From the very limited amount of basketball that I watch it seems like foul calls are based on a random number generator combined with the players star power. I am not a conspiracy theorist nor do I think that it is overt. Maybe, the game is just too fast to be correctly (by which I mean predictably and repeatable) officiated in real time.
ceejay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-20-2012, 04:29 PM   #105
maddog42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarsie
Too late now he had to do it after the game to get maximum exposure. It was a golden opportunity and he chose a different path.

I'll give him credit for not knocking the Westbrook foul some press guy who was on the sidelines said he heard the staff say it. I'm an honest guy didn't know the clock reset rule was to five seconds after a tie up that needs to be changed.

Read a bunch of articles on his new contract offer also and my hunch is his agent is telling him he's worth more. Another option is there was contact for another position though it would seem INSANE to leave OKC.
I like the rule. It rewards good defense. If you haven't noticed, I appreciate good defense almost as much as good offense.

I expect the Home team to get the calls. OKC got the benefit at home( but not by much). The Heat have gotten a huge number of calls to go their way. The National media is all over this. Westbrook probably go fouled at least 5 or 6 times with no call. Durant go hammered HARD several times with no call. Ridiculous!!