Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 06-12-2012, 08:31 AM   #16
Canarsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller

I hate the 2-3-2 format BTW.
I'm not a fan of it either but its really the only way to do it. If they went back to the old format OKC would be tied up for five days even when they weren't there. Most rooms would be paid for and not used that would make their advertisers and business community angry. I'm pretty sure its much easier to schedule events, interviews, and whatever else when your not moving for one game.

Hockey can do it because the media that follows the finals in minute compared to any other sport.
Canarsie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-12-2012, 08:31 AM   #17
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhanover
A better question may be what % of fans outside Florida are rooting for Miami? Over/under is probably 10%. "Everyone I know says who is Miami playing? That is who I am rooting for"
If everyone watching knew what a crook Aubrey McClendon was/is, that number would be a lot higher. I'm sort of rooting for them just because I hate the idea of star players arrainging their free agent signings together. Having said that, after seeing what McClendon has done to Chesapeake shareholders, its not easy rooting for Ok-C.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-12-2012, 08:35 AM   #18
Canarsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Durant will spend time guarding Lebron too. His defense is really underrated. He just doesn't always guard the toughest guy because he is more valuable on offense. When he has though, he has been very good this year.
I'm drifting off topic a bit but they know and respect each other highly. LBJ invited Durant to work out with him during the lockout.

LeBron James bracing for epic Finals battle vs. Kevin Durant

http://www.freep.com/article/2012061...s-Kevin-Durant

[YT=""]ItioFbo0vWw[/YT]
Canarsie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-12-2012, 12:44 PM   #19
slew101

The format is driven by the media. It was first started in the 1985 finals after Boston-LA went 7 in 1984, and CBS was upset they had to load everything up 3 times for the last 3 games.

I always thought the Lakers caught a huge break in 1985 with that format switch. They had blown the prior year's Finals, then had a 2-1 lead after a blowout win in Game 3 in 1985. Boston won Game 4 at the buzzer with a Dennis Johnson jump shot. The Celtics reward was to stay in LA for two more days and LA had Game 5 at home, which they won instead of going back to Boston.

LA was clearly the better team and might have won anyways, but I think it would have gone 7 that year without the format switch.

The World Series started that 2-3-2 format way back, maybe in the 1970s or 1960s?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarsie
I'm not a fan of it either but its really the only way to do it. If they went back to the old format OKC would be tied up for five days even when they weren't there. Most rooms would be paid for and not used that would make their advertisers and business community angry. I'm pretty sure its much easier to schedule events, interviews, and whatever else when your not moving for one game.

Hockey can do it because the media that follows the finals in minute compared to any other sport.

Last edited by slew101; 06-12-2012 at 12:48 PM.
slew101 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-12-2012, 12:49 PM   #20
slew101

Latest series odds: OKC -175, Miami +155.

Thought the money would come on Miami, hasn't happened.
slew101 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-12-2012, 12:53 PM   #21
horses4courses

OKC Thunder taking the action

Vegas Sun article highlights the public's demand for betting the Thunder, and turning away from the Heat.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/blogs/tal...r-thunder-bet/
chance of returning to the WH, assuming that
he can manage to stay out of prison. Think about it.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-12-2012, 02:39 PM   #22
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I personally think the format of 2-3-2 is completely irrelevant as to who wins series. The Heat will have to win 2 in OKC to be champs and I think that would be the case whether Miami was home for games 3-4-5 or 3-4-6.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-12-2012, 07:30 PM   #23
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist

If everyone watching knew what a crook Aubrey McClendon was/is, that number would be a lot higher. I'm sort of rooting for them just because I hate the idea of star players arrainging their free agent signings together. Having said that, after seeing what McClendon has done to Chesapeake shareholders, its not easy rooting for Ok-C.
More news today:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...85B1JS20120612

The entire Chesapeake board should be replaced and Aubrey should be shown the door.

Last edited by Valuist; 06-12-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:22 PM   #24
ten2oneormore

I think the fact it is -175 says a lot .I guess Miami's biggest advantage is their experience but Durant is so clutch its hard to see him getting antsy.One thing is for sure if the D Wade of the Boston series shows up its a wrap and OKC wins in 5 or 6.It is messed up what happened to the Sonics though.
ten2oneormore is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2012, 12:21 AM   #25
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ten2oneormore
I think the fact it is -175 says a lot .I guess Miami's biggest advantage is their experience but Durant is so clutch its hard to see him getting antsy.One thing is for sure if the D Wade of the Boston series shows up its a wrap and OKC wins in 5 or 6.It is messed up what happened to the Sonics though.
Miami hasn't faced defense like this very often. Lebrick looks afraid to take jumpers, but he better if they want to win.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:57 AM   #26
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj's dad
His Mother !
And dont get in front of her car after 10p.m.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:06 AM   #27
ten2oneormore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Miami hasn't faced defense like this very often. Lebrick looks afraid to take jumpers, but he better if they want to win.
I think when they are firing on all cylinders the Pacers have arguably the best defense in the league.The problem is that they can't score like OKC and Granger sure isn't Durant.KD is just unbelievable in the 4th quarter just about every game these playoffs and he can't be stopped.The reason Miami is probably going to lose is their transition D , I mean even the old azz Celtics were exploiting them in transition so OKC is going have a field day with their young legs.
ten2oneormore is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2012, 10:26 AM   #28
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ten2oneormore
I think when they are firing on all cylinders the Pacers have arguably the best defense in the league.The problem is that they can't score like OKC and Granger sure isn't Durant.KD is just unbelievable in the 4th quarter just about every game these playoffs and he can't be stopped.The reason Miami is probably going to lose is their transition D , I mean even the old azz Celtics were exploiting them in transition so OKC is going have a field day with their young legs.
Chicago was better defensively this season than either OKC or Indy. Bulls had the best FG % defense (40.7%) by a pretty decent margin over the Heat, who are capable of playing strong defense themselves. I know without Rose they obviously aren't Finals worthy but people have short memories.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:02 PM   #29
Ocala Mike

NBA Finals series odds

Quote:
Originally Posted by slew101

The World Series started that 2-3-2 format way back, maybe in the 1970s or 1960s?

Actually as far back as 1924, except for a couple of WWII years when they went to a 3-4 due to travel restrictions.
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2012, 02:31 PM   #30
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
Chicago was better defensively this season than either OKC or Indy. Bulls had the best FG % defense (40.7%) by a pretty decent margin over the Heat, who are capable of playing strong defense themselves. I know without Rose they obviously aren't Finals worthy but people have short memories.
The Thunder are different than most teams in length and athleticism. Even the Bulls can't match them in that regard. Hell, part of it is the Bulls giving up Thabo for a weak draft pick. And, when the Thunder get a stop, it is off to the races. They beat the Heat in fast break points 24-4, and that came from DEFENSE.

In basketball offense and defense can be closely related. The Thunder can do both. If they chose to play a style similar to the better teams in the East, I'm sure statistically they would rank higher. However, watching these playoffs and seeing what the Thunder have done to Dirk, Kobe and the two 7 footers, and then Parker and Duncan, it is way off base to think the Thunder don't have a very good defense.

Last edited by cj; 06-13-2012 at 02:34 PM.