Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapper's Corner

Old 06-16-2015, 04:48 PM   #1
Capper Al

what if one could figure comparable workout times?

I know that there are several methods for evaluating workout speeds. I know of three methods myself. The question here is assuming one could compare them successfully? What would they mean? Never knowing the barns intentions nullifies their value doesn't it?

"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France

Capper Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-16-2015, 04:52 PM   #2
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capper Al
I know that there are several methods for evaluating workout speeds. I know of three methods myself. The question here is assuming one could compare them successfully? What would they mean? Never knowing the barns intentions nullifies their value doesn't it?
Unless you could watch them, I don't see any real value.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-16-2015, 04:52 PM   #3
DeltaLover

Quote:
In my opinion, workout timings are next to meaningless.. What counts more, is the regularity of the workout tab and the existence (or not) of gaps in them..
Old 06-16-2015, 04:57 PM   #4
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

What if they included splits and gallop out times?
Old 06-16-2015, 05:20 PM   #5
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Good point!

Now why don't the track(s) show a live feed and maybe indicate who is working out?

If it's too expensive then just show the workouts, we can figure it out.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-16-2015, 05:34 PM   #6
horses4courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Absolutely right.

A horse can have a workout on the same track, same day, as another
horse where he can run slower and actually be more impressive.
Some horses are ridden much harder, others restrained in order to run easy.
The times do not tell the entire story.
chance of returning to the WH, assuming that
he can manage to stay out of prison. Think about it.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-16-2015, 06:39 PM   #7
Augenj
Top Horse Analytics

Quote:
This doesn't sound like what you're looking for but it might trigger some thought.

You can use average workout rankings back any number of workouts to get a "rating" for each horse. Let's say you want to use the last 3 workouts for your calculations. Sum up the last 3 rankings for the horse (X). Then sum up the last 3 total ranked horses (Y). Divide X by Y and subtract the result from 1.0 to get the best on top.

The win per cent over hundreds of races is low but the ROI is pretty decent. It all depends on the track and type of race - maidens, non-maidens. I use an enhanced version of this as one of 10 factors to calculate a horse's overall rating.
Augenj is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-16-2015, 08:59 PM   #8
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

The workout rating in HTR is one of the most powerful ones they have.
Not as a stand alone, but when combined with other factors. It is in several of my most productive spot plays.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:41 PM   #9
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
The workout rating in HTR is one of the most powerful ones they have.
Not as a stand alone, but when combined with other factors. It is in several of my most productive spot plays.
Tom, are you a "Razor" devotee?......Powerful angle.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-17-2015, 02:16 AM   #10
Fingal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaLover
In my opinion, workout timings are next to meaningless.. What counts more, is the regularity of the workout tab and the existence (or not) of gaps in them..
Times can be very misleading. Take for example Get Happy Mister who won the San Simeon Hcp. at Santa Anita this year. Not only is he a Colorado bred, but his last work before the race while being on the turf was 6f in 1:19. Now that has to be awful close to the threshold for having a timed work. Horse paid 27 bucks.

I used to feel gaps in works was important, especially when it came to no work since raced but when I read one interview with Doug O'Neill it changed my mind. As he put it why work a horse just to work them ? Good work, good race, they'll keep their form with a strong gallop.

There's a few trainers out in S Cal that follow that line of thinking, I'm sure on other circuits there are some trainers that think the same. And for lesser circuits some barns may not have the type of horses that can stand up to works between races.

Or those gaps on any circuit may be because the clockers missed a work.
It happens.
Fingal is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-17-2015, 07:26 AM   #11
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall
Tom, are you a "Razor" devotee?......Powerful angle.
Razor Rulz!
Old 06-17-2015, 07:37 AM   #12
pandy

Has anyone ever done any record keeping or testing off workouts? For instance, do horses with a recent work in last 7 days win more often than horses that don't have a recent workout? Do horses that have a recent bullet workout win more often?

Although it's true that if you don't see the work, you don't know if it was good or not, it still gives you an idea of what the trainer is trying to do in terms of conditioning.

Also with older horses, if the horse is working regularly it's a good sign, the horse is sound.

I have had several big scores because of workouts. You have to use common sense. As an example, some years ago Ron McAnally had a first time starter, I can't remember her name right now, but she was working fast. But his stats on firsters was something like 0 for 68. However, the works were unusually fast for a horse from his barn, a sign that the horse was indeed fast, since he doesn't work his maidens fast. I had bet the horse and gave it out and then luckily they interviewed him on TVG and Ron said that although he never wins with firsters, "I can tell you that this one can run." I doubled my bet and she won easily at $46.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-17-2015, 07:47 AM   #13
eqitec

Workout Times

I am currently doing a study of the 2013-2014 Saratoga meetings. Out of 525 races in the study thus far, 10.3% of winners had a 4F breeze on dirt 6 days before their wins.
eqitec is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-17-2015, 09:32 AM   #14
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Has anyone ever done any record keeping or testing off workouts? For instance, do horses with a recent work in last 7 days win more often than horses that don't have a recent workout? Do horses that have a recent bullet workout win more often?
Pandy,

I have. There is validity to recent workouts. Percentages & Probabilities, page 89.

However, the difference in IVs is pretty slight. High point is 5-7 days, and tops at only 1.11, with the bottom being no work in 30 days at 0.82. Seems like not being worth the effort.

Because some tracks demand a workout for a horse returning from layoff and others do not, the statistics are skewed unless they are track-specific.

However...

When one uses a universal parallel time chart and looks at "Best Workout in 45 Days," one finds that horses ranked 1st perform well enough to actually be profitable at high odds.

However #2...

In my handicapping experience, even that factor is "correlational rather than causational," and, in practice, consistently points one to the wrong horses.

However #3...

The exception comes in young horses, races with FTS, and lightly-raced horses, where the 45-day best workout blossoms into a factor that can actually be used to handicap.

In fact, FTS that rank #1 for BW45 and go off at (I believe it is) 12/1 or higher have shown to be flat bet profitable.
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-17-2015, 09:38 AM   #15
pandy

Thanks Dave. That makes sense.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: