Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapper's Corner

Old 05-04-2015, 05:14 PM   #1
DeltaLover

Bounce Theory: The Most Fallacious Modern Fandicapping Idea

The favourite of the Preakness will obviously be American Pharoah and I believe that there will be a lot of handicappers who will see him with some scepticism, mainly because of the possibility of a bounce in his form. In my opinion, this whole thing about horses bouncing after a single big race, is completely bogus and I never consider it seriously...

I really think that AP is close to a cinch to win the Preakness and I can only hope the bounce theorists to spread the word as much as possible...

Here you can read more about my thoughts in the topic...
Old 05-04-2015, 05:28 PM   #2
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaLover
The favourite of the Preakness will obviously be American Pharoah and I believe that there will be a lot of handicappers who will see him with some scepticism, mainly because of the possibility of a bounce in his form. In my opinion, this whole thing about horses bouncing after a single big race, is completely bogus and I never consider it seriously...

I really think that AP is close to a cinch to win the Preakness and I can only hope the bounce theorists to spread the word as much as possible...

Here you can read more about my thoughts in the topic...
Delta, so your Preakness winner is American "Whip-struck 32 times" Pharoah?
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2015, 05:29 PM   #3
thaskalos

I happen to be one of those "bounce theorists" you mention...and I can't see why you would think that AP's Derby performance qualifies as the sort of effort which usually leads to a subsequent "bounce". You must have the Derby rated as a much more impressive effort than I have.

Last edited by thaskalos; 05-04-2015 at 05:31 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2015, 05:39 PM   #4
Ocala Mike

What Thas said; horses "bounce" off atypical peak performances, and I don't think that AP has anything to "bounce" off. AP has the look of a "play against" in the next two to me.
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2015, 05:40 PM   #5
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
I happen to be one of those "bounce theorists" you mention...and I can't see why you would think that AP's Derby performance qualifies as the sort of effort which usually leads to a subsequent "bounce". You must have the Derby rated as a much more impressive effort than I have.
If anything, the Derby performance looked like a bounce off the ultra-impressive Ark Derby win.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2015, 05:43 PM   #6
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall
How has the "struck-with-whip-count" handicapping angle served you in the past?
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2015, 05:49 PM   #7
DeltaLover

Quote:
I happen to be one of those "bounce theorists" you mention...
Thask, I have enough support from my databases and my related research to convince me, that this Ragozin introduced theory is completely fallacious.

Quote:
and I can't see why you would think that AP's Derby performance qualifies as the sort of effort which usually leads to a subsequent "bounce". You must have the Derby rated as a much more impressive effort than I have.
Absolutely it qualifies. Years ago, I clearly remember Len Friedman in one of his KD seminars stating that if ever had a KD winner, he would certainly skip the Preakness and go directly to Belmont to avoid the bounce..
Old 05-04-2015, 05:51 PM   #8
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

DL - you considered AP's Derby win/related figure (not sure if you use figures or not) higher than his recent trend?
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2015, 05:52 PM   #9
DeltaLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall
Certainly I am turned off from the whipping.. If anything, an all out victorious performance, only elevates the quality of a horse in my eyes, since he confirms that he can outperform his top rivals under a high stress situation...
Old 05-04-2015, 05:53 PM   #10
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaLover

Absolutely it qualifies. Years ago, I clearly remember Len Friedman in one of his KD seminars stating that if ever had a KD winner, he would certainly skip the Preakness and go directly to Belmont to avoid the bounce..
It does NOT qualify...regardless of what Len Friedman says. The Derby winners historically have done very well at the Preakness. Friedman has it backwards, IMO. If I am ever blessed with a Derby winner...I will ship to Pimlico, and then skip the Belmont.

Last edited by thaskalos; 05-04-2015 at 05:55 PM.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:03 PM   #11
Ocala Mike

Anyway, there is a whole other aspect to the "bounce" theory that predates Ragozin but does not apply in the case of AP. That is the case where a horse ran a peak race AFTER a very long layoff, and now returns on relatively short rest. The conventional wisdom is that he's now a "play against" because:

1. He will be "overbet" due to the line he shows in the "peak" race and -
2. He has not fully recovered from the wear and tear of the "peak" effort.
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2015, 06:06 PM   #12
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocala Mike
Anyway, there is a whole other aspect to the "bounce" theory that predates Ragozin but does not apply in the case of AP. That is the case where a horse ran a peak race AFTER a very long layoff, and now returns on relatively short rest. The conventional wisdom is that he's now a "play against" because:

1. He will be "overbet" due to the line he shows in the "peak" race and -
2. He has not fully recovered from the wear and tear of the "peak" effort.
There are several definitions of the "bounce" theory...and this year's Derby does not fit the mold of any of these definitions.

Last edited by thaskalos; 05-04-2015 at 06:08 PM.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:19 PM   #13
DeltaLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike
DL - you considered AP's Derby win/related figure (not sure if you use figures or not) higher than his recent trend?
I admit that I was considering Dortmund to be a more possible KD winner than AP.

Also, even if I consider Andy Beyer to be the Patriarch of the American handicappers and his figures, the most influential handicapping concept ever, I no longer pay any attention to them (and pretty much to any other commercial figure)...

For whatever is worth it, in my proprietary figures I have AP's KD approximately five lengths behind the KD of Animal Kingdom or approximately seven lengths behind Blame, I also have the 4 furlong fraction of AP' race approximately 4 lengths faster than Animal Kingdom's and approximately 2 lengths slower than Blame's..
Old 05-04-2015, 06:22 PM   #14
DeltaLover

Quote:
It does NOT qualify...regardless of what Len Friedman says. The Derby winners historically have done very well at the Preakness. Friedman has it backwards, IMO. If I am ever blessed with a Derby winner...I will ship to Pimlico, and then skip the Belmont.
OK, so we are saying the same think Thask... From what you are saying here, I cannot see how you are a follower of the bounce theory...
Old 05-04-2015, 06:23 PM   #15
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
How has the "struck-with-whip-count" handicapping angle served you in the past?
It served me better than it has Adrian Peterson..
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: