Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 06-15-2012, 11:58 AM   #76
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

An outsider's view of the Perkins dilemma:

http://arizona.sbnation.com/2012/6/1...-the-nba-title
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2012, 12:37 PM   #77
Canarsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I'm not blaming Perkins as much as I'm blaming Brooks for not adjusting. Perk should have been out of the game after about 3 minutes. It was painfully obvious what was going on. Perkins isn't suddenly going to become an offensive player, he is what he is at this point in his career. Brooks was just too stubborn for too long last night.
The guy goes from genius adjusting to the Spurs and now because of one loss he's back to being an idiot. I guess Spoelstra and Brooks are in the same boat they would have a long night drinking together. If I recall correctly lots of people left both teams for dead in their last series. Granted he made a mistake in my eyes but the game is over lets see what he does in game three.
Canarsie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2012, 12:49 PM   #78
maddog42

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj

Statistically (batting average) Hal Trosky was a better hitter than Willie Mays
or Mickey Mantle, but you'll have a hard time convincing me. Sometimes you make a substitution to take teams out of their offensive rhythm. Unfortunately he takes us out of rhythm more.lol. I think his icy stare and scolding glances improved this team and made them tougher.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:57 PM   #79
Canarsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj

As one who really isn't a fan of Westbrook as a near max or max player I felt the criticism was unjustified in its intensity. He's an above average player who has only been a point guard since joining OKC. Its the old piling on stuff LBJ must have been laughing inside and saying "how does it feel MBW"?

How can the guy write an article and not even mention Harden's name? Without him the game isn't even close and he didn't get the ball much in the second half.

If I was the coach my preference would be for Harden to shoot from the perimeter and Westbrook attempt to drive through the lane. I'll give Spoelstra credit because when Westbrook did that he kept on calling timeout would have loved to hear what he said.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:30 PM   #80
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarsie
The guy goes from genius adjusting to the Spurs and now because of one loss he's back to being an idiot. I guess Spoelstra and Brooks are in the same boat they would have a long night drinking together. If I recall correctly lots of people left both teams for dead in their last series. Granted he made a mistake in my eyes but the game is over lets see what he does in game three.
I still think he is a good coach, and I'm confident he will adjust. Everyone makes mistakes, and that includes sideline coaches like myself. I certainly never came remotely close to calling him an idiot.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2012, 02:52 PM   #81
maddog42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarsie
As one who really isn't a fan of Westbrook as a near max or max player I felt the criticism was unjustified in its intensity. He's an above average player who has only been a point guard since joining OKC. Its the old piling on stuff LBJ must have been laughing inside and saying "how does it feel MBW"?

How can the guy write an article and not even mention Harden's name? Without him the game isn't even close and he didn't get the ball much in the second half.

If I was the coach my preference would be for Harden to shoot from the perimeter and Westbrook attempt to drive through the lane. I'll give Spoelstra credit because when Westbrook did that he kept on calling timeout would have loved to hear what he said.
Above average? I think you can make an argument that he shouldn't be an all-star (maybe), but "above average"? Only if you call Rondo and Parker "above average". He is more inconsistent than those 2, but he is also younger. He had a crappy first half and a really good 2nd half. That even happens to all-stars.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:49 PM   #82
Canarsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I still think he is a good coach, and I'm confident he will adjust. Everyone makes mistakes, and that includes sideline coaches like myself. I certainly never came remotely close to calling him an idiot.
I wasn't referring to you personally just the fan base in general who always state "what have you done for me lately".

Seriously if there was an 0.2% chance of him being replaced who would be your choice? Its amazing to me that these two guys are getting hammered a little after each game and Thibodeau got a complete pass because of injury. Spoelstra would never be afforded the same.

Right now these are the two best teams in basketball. The game involves lots of runs back and forth hence there are going to be ups and downs.

For a fan who really has no rooting interest except for hating LBJ the first two games have been pretty good to view. I'm sure GM Stern (whom I highly respect) is very happy so far.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:17 PM   #83
Canarsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog42
Above average? I think you can make an argument that he shouldn't be an all-star (maybe), but "above average"? Only if you call Rondo and Parker "above average". He is more inconsistent than those 2, but he is also younger. He had a crappy first half and a really good 2nd half. That even happens to all-stars.
I set the bar high sorry but that's me. When he drives to the rack he's really really good. But if I have the best or second best player in the NBA on my team that's a compelling reason to look for him more. If I have a shooter like Harden try your best to find him. The regular season is played for home court and you have that. Did you see that at least two Heat players were headed to the defensive end once a shot went off?

Your a fan of the team I get it. When it comes to the Red Sox, Saints, and Devils I live and die almost every call.

The Celtics told Rondo we will go as far as you can carry us anointing him the team leader. I don't think in my lifetime that will be said to Westbrook.

The reason he has a good second half is because Durant turns into SUPERMAN opening up lanes and shots for him.

I'm shocked nobody mentioned when Chalmers stole the ball from him in a key moment.

Not that I agree with all of this but here's a reporters view of Westborrok.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/1...snt-realize-it
Old 06-15-2012, 05:30 PM   #84
Canarsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
never came remotely close to calling him an idiot.
If I recall correctly I once told you that your sports IQ is pretty high. I like engaging in conversation with people like that and choose not to with idiots. We don't have to have the same opinions that's the nature of sports people seeing things differently.

You once said I was nuts and rightfully so because I stated its my preference to have Jim Plunkett (mhrip) in a big game. But that's how I like to rate players, how they perform on the big stage.

That baton has been passed to Durant on that point its not even negotiable. He's so much better than Kobe. Anthony can do it in the regular season but can't carry his team to more than one win.

The same goes for Brooks he took out a team that won twenty in a row winning four straight. He gets tons of respect for me the national media should give him far more recognition. His timeout speeches are really good they make a good listen.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:05 AM   #85
dav4463

I think the only mistake the Thunder made was calling that timeout after the steal when they had a chance to go down and tie or take the lead with less than 12 seconds to play. If Westbrook flew down there and got one of his basket and fouls....no one would be talking bad about him.

As it happened, Thunder called timeout and allowed the Heat (who were reeling) to catch their breath and get set to play defense.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:46 PM   #86
elysiantraveller

One thing about Westbrook that most don't take into account is that he crashes the offensive glass more than any other PG in the league aside from maybe Rondo. 4-6 of those extra shots that people bitch about are putbacks on the glass that other pointguards simply don't get because A) they aren't good enough at the rim and B) can't finish like he can.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-17-2012, 11:18 PM   #87
maddog42

When is the last time the Thunder have been this bad shooting free throws?
When is the last time that Perkins attempted more free throws and made more than Kevin Durant? And also made a higher percentage? The leagues best free throw team misses 5 in one quarter. Amazing.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:27 PM   #88
maddog42

OKC holds Miami to 37.8% shooting and still loses. I would have bet anything this would never happen.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:17 AM   #89
lansdale

35 free throws

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog42
OKC holds Miami to 37.8% shooting and still loses. I would have bet anything this would never happen.
That's how they won. Between this game and the last, it really looks like the NBA is looking to hand this series to the Heat no matter how well OKC plays. OTOH, their free-throw shooting has been uncharacteristically sharp while OKC's was brick city. I think that you can chalk up OKC's foul-shooting, Harden's poor shooting, and the unforced TOs in the fourth quarter, to the fact that this is still a young team playing in a hostile environment in the Finals for the first time. I think they'll win the next game. They have to find a way to get Durant more shots and Fisher fewer.

Cheers,

lansdale
lansdale is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2012, 12:36 PM   #90
slew101

I don't think OKC has played well in this series at all but others can judge that better. They've played in streaks, Miami has been more consistent, especially offensively. And the FTs have hurt OKC.

Definitely been some questionable calls in the series, but that happens every series. Has Miami gotten too many calls? Not sure. LeBron did foul out in Game 4 in Boston, but Pierce was in foul trouble the entire series.

[QUOTE=lansdale]That's how they won. Between this game and the last, it really looks like the NBA is looking to hand this series to the Heat no matter how well OKC plays.
slew101 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply