Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:43 AM   #31
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
I'm a pace guy and I didn't bet Bodemeister...how do you figure that?
Let me guess, most people who pound their chests and decry the pace and speed fig players....wait for it......HAVE NO IDEA WHAT SPEED OR PACE FIGURE HANDICAPPING IS AND NO CLUE HOW TO USE A PACE OR SPEED FIGURE.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:43 AM   #32
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEY DUDE
Class was the toughest thing to learn for me. Then one day I got to thinking while shooting free throws, while I can go 9 for 10 in the back yard, I would be lucky to get one while trying during a pistion's game in front of a large crowd. That to me is the difference between having and not having class.
Nice example though that just tells me how class might manifest itself. For me, the difference between going 9 out of 10 at home while maybe 1 for 10 in front of a crowd is called performance anxiety.

Not trying to bust any one's chops but unless there is a measurable quantity or combination thereof, the discussion will be reduced to one of two forms. We'll have discussions like the 12 blind men describing what is an elephant, or, we'll have arguments about what class is not. Telling what something is not does not tell me what it is.

Let's get concrete otherwise class is just something fuzzy that every one intuitively believes they understand but can not discuss with any authority let alone any way to measure or codify.

Last edited by DJofSD; 05-20-2012 at 09:47 AM.
DJofSD is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2012, 09:46 AM   #33
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Let me guess, most people who pound their chests and decry the pace and speed fig players....wait for it......HAVE NO IDEA WHAT SPEED OR PACE FIGURE HANDICAPPING IS AND NO CLUE HOW TO USE A PACE OR SPEED FIGURE.
Right. Typically along the lines of 'I tried it but it didn't work for me so it must be garbage.'
Old 05-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #34
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

btw, menifee, I looked for your post picking the winner before the race was run.
I couldn't find it. Can you post a link to it. I mean, surely no one would shoot off their mouth like this unless they already made the pick ahead of time, like all the one they are running down in this thread.

Why, that would be red boarding of the first degree.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:28 AM   #35
FiveWide

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
...or even better, know when to use which methods.

So true! And this is the hard part IMO.

-Five
FiveWide is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2012, 10:37 AM   #36
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
Yeah...you're right.

The "class" handicappers have all the money...
Yeah 3-1 and the pizz poor exacta was really the key to the bank.Those rich geniuses can have all the accolades.I'll just stick to being right 85% of the time elsewhere!
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2012, 11:26 AM   #37
menifee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Another thread meant to start nothing but animosity. Why?

When the horse with the best speed figure or the horse with the best pace numbers wins, do you ever see anyone start a thread saying "Class Handicappers Egg On Their Face - Figures Always Win"

No, you don't. I don't recall EVER seeing one like that. This leads me to believe that non-pace/speed handicappers are walking around with huge chips on their shoulders and harboring extreme feelings of inadequacy. That is the only explanation I can come up with seeing these rash of like-minded threads bashing computers/speed/pace/etc.

Why would anyone start a thread like this? If you're actually using class/form exclusively and doing well with it, what would compel you to start a thread telling other people they suck?

Winners don't do such things. They really don't...it's a little sad when you think about it...time would be better spent finding a method that doesn't compel you to harbor such negative energy towards your fellow handicappers.
I was just trying to encourage debate and conversation about a topic. I'm sorry if your feelings were hurt.
menifee is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2012, 11:29 AM   #38
DJofSD
Screw PC

I don't know Mike but I have a strong feeling his feelings have not been hurt.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:52 AM   #39
menifee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJofSD
I don't know Mike but I have a strong feeling his feelings have not been hurt.
It was sarcasm.
Anybody know if Daddy Nose Best finished the race yet?
menifee is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2012, 12:17 PM   #40
Valuist

What was your argument in 1999 when Charismatic, off a big fig in the Lexington but had run in a 62.5k claimer several months earlier? Surely no class oriented handicapper would've had him. Same thing with War Emblem coming out of the Illinois Derby. But the speed and pace players had him. Some figs players had Charismatic. Those two were winners worth having. Guess what: I missed a P4 yesterday due to that finish. $466 for a buck? If I hit it I would've been pissed at the low payoff.

So am I gonna lose sleep over missing a 3-1 shot? I think not.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2012, 12:24 PM   #41
iceknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by menifee
I was just trying to encourage debate and conversation about a topic. I'm sorry if your feelings were hurt.
Hey Menifee.. I know what your class is : JERK.

No one asked for a "I am sorry your feelings are hurt" non apology. Just accept responsibility that you should not have used inflammatory phrases like "egg on face".. if you are trying to encourage debate..

that is.. unless you label yourself a pace/speed whatever handicapper and were saying that deprecatingly...
gotta go. making an spanish omelette.

Last edited by iceknight; 05-20-2012 at 12:25 PM.
iceknight is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2012, 12:26 PM   #42
maddog42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
btw, menifee, I looked for your post picking the winner before the race was run.
I couldn't find it. Can you post a link to it. I mean, surely no one would shoot off their mouth like this unless they already made the pick ahead of time, like all the one they are running down in this thread.

Why, that would be red boarding of the first degree.
Good post Tom. There are a few people besides me and PA that were wrong about this race and some are claiming that they had it right here in this thread.
I don't mind being wrong. I am wrong about 80% of the time when I handicap.
Some of these people are acting like this exacta was a lock from the gitgo. Did
they watch the same race I did?
Old 05-20-2012, 12:28 PM   #43
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
What was your argument in 1999 when Charismatic, off a big fig in the Lexington but had run in a 62.5k claimer several months earlier?.
Good question and good example. Also add to that one Mine That Bird who had a high Pace figure earned at Sunland.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2012, 12:53 PM   #44
thaskalos

Quote:
When someone puts "Class Handicapping Always Wins" as a title to his post, he is not encouraging useful conversation.

He is looking for an argument.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:58 PM   #45
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Yeah,and I was just buying your wife a drink and talking objectively about the sex subject.
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply