Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-23-2010, 11:07 AM   #1
Stevie Belmont

The Race of The Year—The Personal Ensign "Showdown At The Spa"

Next Sunday.

This year there have been some really nice races. Rachel Alexandra & Zenyatta have done their thing, albeit against slightly lesser competition. Two great champions in their own right, and they both have delighted the crowds each and every time they have stepped on to the track this year.

The Alabama was a highly anticipated race, and so was the Whitney. But this Sunday is the one race I have waited to see the moment RA's crew pegged it on their calendar. The Personal Ensign's sex appeal even surpasses that of Travers Stakes this particular year. To me this is the headliner of the year so far. The Personal Ensign is thee main event of this year.

Rachel Alexandra takes on Life At Ten in the “Showdown at The Spa.” And a race that I feel will not leave too many disappointed. Rachel Alexandra has something to prove next week against a champion race mare in Life At Ten, who is riding a 6 race-winning streak into this. Life At Ten has trained very well leading up to this. She will gun for 7th consecutive win and looks ready. Rachel Alexandra will come in off a race where she won in absolutely brutal, hot conditions at Monmouth Park. Conditions not fit for man or horse. I don't think she showed her best that day by any means. I expect her to be at her best for this.

Summer is promising to go out with a big bang.

Last edited by Stevie Belmont; 08-23-2010 at 11:09 AM.
Stevie Belmont is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-23-2010, 11:10 AM   #2
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Race of the year???
Old 08-23-2010, 11:44 AM   #3
Stevie Belmont

Well, for me it is.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:51 AM   #4
OntheRail

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour
Race of the year???
Yep... it's a BIG WEEKEND COMING... .
OntheRail is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-23-2010, 04:13 PM   #5
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour
Race of the year???
Ah I got that same jolt. Unless you OWN a horse in that race it would hardly qualify that high
Old 08-23-2010, 04:22 PM   #6
Hanover1

The best thing I see about this race is the chance to see if RA has regained her former form at 100% A will to win will often prevail, but 100% in all areas is needed to prevail in this one......
Hanover1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-23-2010, 04:27 PM   #7
DeanT

I think I am with you on this Stevie.

I watch Z's races, just to see if she can not lose. The TC races, of course. I was looking forward to the Haskell.

But this race, as a pure race for interest, I think for me is tops in 2010.
DeanT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-23-2010, 04:28 PM   #8
joanied

Location: Wyoming, near Yellowstone Park...born/raised in Brooklyn,NY
Talking

I can't wait either this one is going to be huge!! Devil May Care vs Blind Luck was big...and except that DMC just didn't fire, Blind Luck's impressive win was awesome...racing needs more of these head to head battles...trainers that don't run from the competion and getting Rachel & Life at Ten together is a great thing...and I consider it to be one of the top 3 races of the year, so far...
Rachel will ned her best effort, seems they have both been training great and I expect to see a battle royal down the stretch...just hope Calvin stays cool in the saddle...can't wait to see the other entries, but surely, it'll be a two horse race.
The Travers lost a little for me since Baffert decided to skip it with Lucky...still, a solid field.
Saratoga coming to a close ...but oh, what a weekend it'll be

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us"
Gandalf the Grey
joanied is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-23-2010, 04:30 PM   #9
Hanover1

Look at it this way...yer gonna get a chance to get a price on 2nd wagering choice who is not a slouch.......good gimmick race.
Hanover1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-23-2010, 10:02 PM   #10
Jasonm921

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanied
I can't wait either this one is going to be huge!! Devil May Care vs Blind Luck was big...and except that DMC just didn't fire, Blind Luck's impressive win was awesome...racing needs more of these head to head battles...trainers that don't run from the competion and getting Rachel & Life at Ten together is a great thing...and I consider it to be one of the top 3 races of the year, so far...
Rachel will ned her best effort, seems they have both been training great and I expect to see a battle royal down the stretch...just hope Calvin stays cool in the saddle...can't wait to see the other entries, but surely, it'll be a two horse race.
The Travers lost a little for me since Baffert decided to skip it with Lucky...still, a solid field.
Saratoga coming to a close ...but oh, what a weekend it'll be
Still have the Woodward next week...so not done yet. I think this is the race of the weekend. Two horses at top level competition that run exactly the same way (on the lead). This may get very interesting.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:08 PM   #11
toussaud

I think I am going to die from anticipation for the week after this one coming up

1. college football finally here

2. woodward

i could not sleep last year the night before, might be the same this year
toussaud is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-23-2010, 11:26 PM   #12
Jasonm921

Joanied....I was bored and made a little promotional poster/photo of the matchup. http://www.flickr.com/photos/easygoer/4921817383/
Old 08-23-2010, 11:54 PM   #13
Jasonm921

I just looked at the potential field for this race....Not much except for the top two. Can you say (unofficial) "Match Race".
Old 08-24-2010, 12:38 AM   #14
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntheRail
Yep... it's a BIG WEEKEND COMING... .
Can we agree to call it the Weekend Of The Year? We've got some nice ones lined up at Sar. Without Lookin At Lucky the Travers oughta be a value laden affair with the money spread out and a fine race.

I am just keeping my fingers crossed that the filly/mare division holds together and the top gals meet in the Ladies Classic. We could be lookin at Zen (maybe, if not the Classic), Rachel, Blind Luck, Devil May Care, Life At Ten and maybe even Evening Jewel. Who am I leaving out? Sure there are others....so what I am hoping for is a very close Personal Ensign this wknd. A tight finish btw the top two would set the table nicely.

Last edited by PhantomOnTour; 08-24-2010 at 12:43 AM.
PhantomOnTour is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2010, 12:53 AM   #15
letswastemoney

The Pletcher elixir has run out...
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply