Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 02-04-2016, 10:17 AM   #1
upthecreek

Any Vitamin/Herbal Supplement nuts here?

Besides me!!!! I take around 40 different vitamins and herbals a day and everybody,including the doctor thinks Im nuts Well I went last week to the doctor for the 1st time in 10 years and got blood work done-just got the results PERFECT!!!!!!! Im a big believer in garlic and fish oil and also take Niacin for heart health/cholesterol It came back 172 with the good high and the bad low I also take 3 supplements for prostrate health and my PSA came back .6(maybe too much info) LOL
Like to hear if anyone has any favorite herbals
upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-04-2016, 10:22 AM   #2
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthecreek
I used to back in my younger days, but I quit smoking that wacky stuff.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:03 AM   #3
delayjf

When researching supplements for my Cat after she died of cancer, I found one supplement that shows promise for both animals and humans called
Artemisinin

This supplement has been used for years as a treatment for malaria in Asia. It's mechanism is that it is attracted to cells with high iron content, such as malaria cells. Once inside the malaria cell, it combines with the iron to create free radicals which ultimately kill the malaria cell. Cancer cells like Malaria cell are also high in iron, so the mechanism works the same. For more information, see below. Interesting stuff.

http://doctorsaputo.com/a/artemisini...cer-smart-bomb

http://www.naturalnews.com/033182_ar...in_cancer.html
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-04-2016, 11:04 AM   #4
azeri98

I have Arthritic knees and taking Omega 3 pills has helped a lot.
azeri98 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-04-2016, 11:05 AM   #5
Secondbest

Quote:
Besides me!!!! I take around 40 different vitamins and herbals a day and everybody,including the doctor thinks Im nuts Well I went last week to the doctor for the 1st time in 10 years and got blood work done-just got the results PERFECT!!!!!!! Im a big believer in garlic and fish oil and also take Niacin for heart health/cholesterol It came back 172 with the good high and the bad low I also take 3 supplements for prostrate health and my PSA came back .6(maybe too much info) LOL
How old are you? Do you excersise? Does any close relatives have medical issues?
Genes count more than any pill.
However I also take B12 ,D, Calcium baby aspirin and simvastatin all under the docs orders.
Secondbest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-04-2016, 11:33 AM   #6
upthecreek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secondbest
How old are you? Do you excersise? Does any close relatives have medical issues?
However I also take B12 ,D, Calcium baby aspirin and simvastatin all under the docs orders.
51 NO Never! and not really
The good gene thing is over rated They are finding environmental factors play a bigger part in health now(chemicals in food,pollution etc)
Old 02-04-2016, 11:53 AM   #7
johnhannibalsmith

I am about as far from a vitamin/herbal nut as you can get and pretty much will not even go to a doctor. But, I have had high blood pressure for a while and it has a habit of getting obscenely high when I give it a reason to, so just recently went to a crack den clinic to get some meds.

I see an NP and she is the best physician I think I've ever dealt with. As a trade-off for not bugging me about smoking, I let her draw blood as well and it came back with "elevated" triceratops or whatever the hell it is. The kid on the phone that called to tell me recommended fish oil. Well, I wasn't going for that and when the NP questioned me on it during my next visit in for a check/refill I explained that "elevated" sounded to me like code for not ideal, but hardly bad. If I really needed to do something they would have said "high" or something to that effect, not elevated.

Truth is, I hate fish and hate giant submarine sized pills. She shook her head at me and gave me a tip. This was a long drawn out way to get to the tip, which was the point of posting originally, in case it helps anyone else as goofy as I am that is reading this:

Put the fish oil pills in the freezer. That's right, freeze them. They are no longer slimy looking and it might as well be a giant tylenol because there is no taste. Like I said, she's the best.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-04-2016, 12:25 PM   #8
Greyfox

I take two tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar every day in the same amount of water.

http://www.rd.com/health/wellness/ap...egar-benefits/
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-04-2016, 12:38 PM   #9
upthecreek

Why Your Genes Don't Determine Your Health

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secondbest
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mar..._b_803069.html
Old 02-04-2016, 12:40 PM   #10
upthecreek

My Supplements

Quote:
My daily Regiment:

Garlic 1200mg 2x
Maca w/ Ginseng 500mg 2x
Aloe Vera 5000mg 1x
Fo-Ti 1000mg 2x
Beta Sisterol 160mg 2x
Saw palmetto 450mg 2x
Biotin 5000mcg 2x
Acai Berry 500mg 2x
Ginko Biloba 1200mg 2x
Black Currant Seed Oil 500mg 2x
Fish Oil 1200mg 2x
Niacin 500mg 1x
Sea Kelp 225 mcg 1x
Multi Vitamin 1x
Huperzine A 200mcg 1x
Kidney Care 1x
Vitamin D-3 2000mg 1x
Goji Berry 500mg 1x
DHT Blocker 1x
Old 02-04-2016, 12:41 PM   #11
RunForTheRoses

Yes, I am a supplement nut. They get expensive so sometimes I run out for awhile.

Take Folic Acid with B6 and 12 for cardiac and mental health.

Theanine and Gaba are good for stress

For liver health N Acetyl Cysteine (also can have positive MH effects) Milk Thistle

Pycnogenol for Cardiac Health

Rhodiola for stress

Nattokinase, was using for cardiac health (had eye stroke 4 years ago) but am concerned about bleeding so this is on shelf.

Garlic and Ginger for colds, usually take this supplement that I found in Whole Foods that has enzymes for Immune Health, I commute long distance every work day and am exposed to germs like crazy.

Tumeric, Coconut Oil, Krill Oil and a few others I occasionally use.

Zeathastin for eye health

Astazanthin for eye and cardiac health but stopped using may have negative side effects.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-04-2016, 12:43 PM   #12
RunForTheRoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox
I take two tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar every day in the same amount of water.

http://www.rd.com/health/wellness/ap...egar-benefits/
If I get sick (which I am today, home from work) take a glass of Distilled Water, Ginger and Apple Cider Vinegar
Old 02-04-2016, 12:44 PM   #13
RunForTheRoses

Quote:
My daily Regiment:

Garlic 1200mg 2x
Maca w/ Ginseng 500mg 2x
Aloe Vera 5000mg 1x
Fo-Ti 1000mg 2x
Beta Sisterol 160mg 2x
Saw palmetto 450mg 2x
Biotin 5000mcg 2x
Acai Berry 500mg 2x
Ginko Biloba 1200mg 2x
Fish Oil 1200mg 2x
Niacin 500mg 1x
Sea Kelp 225 mcg 1x
Multi Vitamin 1x
Huperzine A 200mcg 1x
Kidney Care 1x
Vitamin D-3 2000mg 1x
Goji Berry 500mg 1x
DHT Blocker 1x
Be careful of MACA, my liver enzymes went through the roof and so did my blood pressure.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:45 PM   #14
RunForTheRoses

Quote:
My daily Regiment:

Garlic 1200mg 2x
Maca w/ Ginseng 500mg 2x
Aloe Vera 5000mg 1x
Fo-Ti 1000mg 2x
Beta Sisterol 160mg 2x
Saw palmetto 450mg 2x
Biotin 5000mcg 2x
Acai Berry 500mg 2x
Ginko Biloba 1200mg 2x
Fish Oil 1200mg 2x
Niacin 500mg 1x
Sea Kelp 225 mcg 1x
Multi Vitamin 1x
Huperzine A 200mcg 1x
Kidney Care 1x
Vitamin D-3 2000mg 1x
Goji Berry 500mg 1x
DHT Blocker 1x
Huperzine A is one I recently bought a bottle of, worried long term about dementia plus it may have short term benefits. Choline is good to take also.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:19 PM   #15
Grits

How much do you weigh since you are so sedentary?
What does your diet generally consist of?
What do you do for a living? Your work environment?

My reason for asking? Only that all of these play a large part in good or not so good health.

It is proven eating a good diet, is a far better alternative than supplements in great numbers, as you are taking daily. At the same time, one of the greatest, if not THE greatest means by which we leave this earth early is STRESS. Some of which we can control, some of which we cannot--changes may be beyond our control due to our circumstances. So, we do the best we can in developing good coping skills! I cannot express how valuable patience and education, both, are in this regard.

The good gene thing? It is not overrated. My parents are in their late 80s. (Good choices surely do play a part.) The bad gene thing, too, is not overrated. Family history is extremely important in healthcare. There is a reason doctors need this information from their patients.

By the way, I'm older than you are. I eat the right foods--love chicken and seafood, eat little beef, and too, not a good deal of pork. Rarely eat anything fried--a piece of chicken from one of the take out spots, now and then. Never eat between meals, don't always eat three times a day. Hardly ever, ever, eat sweets/desserts, snacks or junk foods. Drink alcohol wisely, in moderation. BINGE is not in my vocabulary, not in any form. If I have a weakness, it's baked potatoes with butter and sour cream. And lobster with butter.

Like you, I don't exercise--not on machines. But I do walk, and that's good. At 5ft5in. 126lbs, I still wear a size 8. .... Something most men would like in their wives, at any age, but this doesn't matter to me as I'm not looking for men. At this stage, I don't need or have to answer to one of those.

Take one 20mg Simvistatin tablet daily. The cholesterol thing is in the family gene pool. Also take a baby aspirin daily. I see my primary physician every 6 months, as she tells me. No to all those pills. Just no. These are taking a lot of your money, my simvistatin is $6.52 per month. The baby aspirin, next to nothing. .... You're peeing money down the toilet. Daily. Excess of supplements our bodies don't need, will be cast out. Excess amounts, also, can harm us.

Quote:
51 NO Never! and not really
The good gene thing is over rated They are finding environmental factors play a bigger part in health now(chemicals in food,pollution etc)
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply