Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-25-2019, 11:21 AM   #256
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Some trainer (Peter Eurton?) on ATR is saying if they can't run on lasix, horses might have to race less often.

Huh?
I thought using lasix made them run less often.
Does everything make them run less?
Old 03-25-2019, 09:06 PM   #257
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahossdaboss View Post
What circuit do you follow?
I watch quite a few different ones but follow MN quite closely. Not sure what that even matters.
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2019, 09:07 PM   #258
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
Probably not much more than they currently react to the normal 1-2 instances per month where lasix is allowed.

The 50-fold increase in the rate of external bleeding you are predicting is a lot different from the more likely 3-fold increase that will occur where lasix is banned on raceday (assuming nothing is done to stand down or permanently remove those type of bleeders from the racing population).

It's the difference between a mountain and a molehill.
if you think that only a three fold increase is gonna happen I got a bridge you'd be interested in
Old 03-25-2019, 09:31 PM   #259
Dahossdaboss
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadk66 View Post
I watch quite a few different ones but follow MN quite closely. Not sure what that even matters.
It matters because you’re speaking about things you’re not familiar with. Being a trainer 30 years ago doesn’t mean you know what you’re talking about now.

But by all means keep pretending you’re an expert on how racing is today. As we all know nothing in racing has changed in 30 years.
Dahossdaboss is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2019, 10:25 PM   #260
Spalding No!

Quote:
if you think that only a three fold increase is gonna happen I got a bridge you'd be interested in
NYRA allowed lasix use in the tail end of 1995.

In the first 8 months of 1995 when lasix was still prohibited, there was 25 instances of external bleeding in New York or roughly 3 per month.

In the final 4 months of 1995 when lasix was allowed, there was 4 instances of external bleeding in New York or roughly 1 per month.

Anyone here able to calculate the ratio of decline? I'm apparently having trouble with my Minnesota Instruments MI-80.

Ironically, at the time, New York appeared to be having a "good" year in terms of bleeding episodes even before allowing lasix use. The average prior to 1995 was about 58 cases per year. In subsequent years when lasix was allowed the range was about 12-16 cases per year.

So if you want to be more pessimistic or fear mongering we can say it will probably be about a 4-fold increase (again assuming nothing is done to prevent such bleeders from continuing to race). Again, nowhere near the 50-fold increase you came up with.

At any rate, I might be interested in buying your bridge, but then...

...what are you gonna live under?
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2019, 02:03 AM   #261
thaskalos

Quote:

Had you gotten into the dubious habit of frequenting the off-topics section of this board, you would have noticed that our friend Chad66 has confessed to having secured a nice 6-digit annual income for himself...and you wouldn't have sold him as short as you've done here.

Last edited by thaskalos; 03-26-2019 at 02:05 AM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2019, 07:34 AM   #262
chadk66

Quote:
NYRA allowed lasix use in the tail end of 1995.

In the first 8 months of 1995 when lasix was still prohibited, there was 25 instances of external bleeding in New York or roughly 3 per month.

In the final 4 months of 1995 when lasix was allowed, there was 4 instances of external bleeding in New York or roughly 1 per month.

Anyone here able to calculate the ratio of decline? I'm apparently having trouble with my Minnesota Instruments MI-80.

Ironically, at the time, New York appeared to be having a "good" year in terms of bleeding episodes even before allowing lasix use. The average prior to 1995 was about 58 cases per year. In subsequent years when lasix was allowed the range was about 12-16 cases per year.

So if you want to be more pessimistic or fear mongering we can say it will probably be about a 4-fold increase (again assuming nothing is done to prevent such bleeders from continuing to race). Again, nowhere near the 50-fold increase you came up with.

but all we've heard is how breeding is so screwed up that they breed nothing but cripples and bleeders. So to steal one from the hoss nothing is the same thirty years later. So apparently your comparison to 95' won't hold water. And in reality your comparison makes no sense anyway. Your comparing 4 instances of external bleeding of horses that weren't using lasix (these were non bleeders to begin with or they wouldn't have been racing in NY at the time) vs horses that were using lasix(they were more than likely bleeders before that). And with that sample size all I'll do is laugh.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:07 AM   #263
Dahossdaboss
Veteran

Quote:
but all we've heard is how breeding is so screwed up that they breed nothing but cripples and bleeders. So to steal one from the hoss nothing is the same thirty years later. So apparently your comparison to 95' won't hold water. And in reality your comparison makes no sense anyway. Your comparing 4 instances of external bleeding of horses that weren't using lasix (these were non bleeders to begin with or they wouldn't have been racing in NY at the time) vs horses that were using lasix(they were more than likely bleeders before that). And with that sample size all I'll do is laugh.
“It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one’s mouth and remove all doubt.”
Old 03-26-2019, 09:01 AM   #264
biggestal99

Quote:
trust me they use other stuff to prevent it there.

Okay but somehow they cant do it here in the United states.

Bleeding in horses has always happened.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2019, 11:54 AM   #265
Racetrack Playa
regular user

Know what you know and know what you don't know.
Bill Nader speaks @ 23 min and 41 min .

only 34 veiws
NYSGC is a ClownShow
Old 03-26-2019, 12:36 PM   #266
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
It matters because you’re speaking about things you’re not familiar with. Being a trainer 30 years ago doesn’t mean you know what you’re talking about now.

But by all means keep pretending you’re an expert on how racing is today. As we all know nothing in racing has changed in 30 years.
Why don't you give us your training experience, Dahoss?
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2019, 12:38 PM   #267
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
“It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one’s mouth and remove all doubt.”
Exactly.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:47 PM   #268
Dahossdaboss
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
Why don't you give us your training experience, Dahoss?
There’s so much I could say right now. I think I’ll go for a swim instead.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:59 PM   #269
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
There’s so much I could say right now. I think I’ll go for a swim instead.
It’s a shame they let you back in here. The way you talk to other people is deplorable. Chad may choose to just take your blows, but I don’t on his behalf.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:04 PM   #270
Dahossdaboss
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
It’s a shame they let you back in here. The way you talk to other people is deplorable. Chad may choose to just take your blows, but I don’t on his behalf.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: