Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-25-2019, 08:05 AM   #16
burnsy
self medicated

Its clear as day, the knives are out and track management has been put on notice. Its laughable that people think Stronach "volunteered" to do this and are bitching about them. California is the perfect state to come after horse racing. I'm quite sure phone calls and ultimatums have been delivered...…...and its got nothing to do with PETA. We are talking about political might here.

For all the "racing is fine deniers" that have been looking the other way for decades......the wolves are at the door, they see an opening with the public, and they smell blood. The word "hearings" is rumbling around. This is what happens when "business as usual" means never looking at yourself internally. In comes people you really don't want managing your game....as in, you reap, what you sow. You wont scale the game back and run the appropriate amount of races for the horses you have. Someone gonna step in and do it for you! Make no mistake about it.....they after you!

Of course, many states sanction all this racing.....they want the money. But never under estimate the walking of a "political pony."

Last edited by burnsy; 03-25-2019 at 08:10 AM.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2019, 08:44 AM   #17
chadk66

I have no doubt California will be the first state to loose all it's racing. Why wouldn't it be?
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2019, 09:18 AM   #18
ubercapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadk66 View Post
I have no doubt California will be the first state to loose all it's racing. Why wouldn't it be?
From an article at the Las Vegas Review - Journal-

"and limiting jockeys to use of the cushion crop — aka the whip — only as a “corrective safety measure,”

Whips are not banned. I mention this because someone in an earlier post on the thread commented about horses drifting.
ubercapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2019, 09:33 AM   #19
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubercapper View Post

"and limiting jockeys to use of the cushion crop — aka the whip — only as a “corrective safety measure,”

Whips are not banned. I mention this because someone in an earlier post on the thread commented about horses drifting.
That's not the big picture. The track was closed down. Now, out of the goodness of their hearts...…..they are doing this? And the Meds declaration? I'm pretty sure they were told to do something or the track will be the next "Condo Community", Mall. The heat is on.

I don't care what the silly rule is. If things keep going wrong, while the spotlight is on that track...…...more to come. If horses keep breaking down....for any reason....this is far from over.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2019, 10:51 AM   #20
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by zawaaa View Post
i like it

the whip in horse racing is archaic, at best

as long as everyone's on a level playing field, what's the problem?
As long as they have a pseudo whip available to try to straighten a horse out that's trying to bear in or bear out I think it will be safe and fine. Maybe it puts a bigger premium on the riders that are strong enough to finish well using their hands.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:03 AM   #21
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
As long as they have a pseudo whip available to try to straighten a horse out that's trying to bear in or bear out I think it will be safe and fine. Maybe it puts a bigger premium on the riders that are strong enough to finish well using their hands.
FWIW, Wille Shoemaker very rarely used the whip. He was excellent at hand riding.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2019, 11:20 AM   #22
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
FWIW, Wille Shoemaker very rarely used the whip. He was excellent at hand riding.
Watching Shoemaker in the stretch in the 88 Big Cap is a little painful to watch,but sometimes I wonder if any of that matters. I remember a meet at Charles Town around 89 90 or 91. I can't remember for sure the year but lady jocks finished 1-2-3 in the standings and none appeared particularly strong or used the whip much.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2019, 12:53 PM   #23
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsmac View Post
Watching Shoemaker in the stretch in the 88 Big Cap is a little painful to watch,but sometimes I wonder if any of that matters. I remember a meet at Charles Town around 89 90 or 91. I can't remember for sure the year but lady jocks finished 1-2-3 in the standings and none appeared particularly strong or used the whip much.
Well, the 1978 JCGC is a nice counterexample. Shoemaker sure got Exceller to finish.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:34 PM   #24
cutchemist42

A lot of this falls on the industry for not educating the public on what the modern whip actually is. I mean, even the Guardian had that reporter who got whipped to prove the air cushion just produces a sound. It cant even hurt a human.

Instead they allowed the image of the whip to be the traditional kind from years ago. This is what a reactive industry does sadly...
cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2019, 01:50 PM   #25
Robert Fischer
clean money

whip changes since mid-'90s?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
A lot of this falls on the industry for not educating the public on what the modern whip actually is. I mean, even the Guardian had that reporter who got whipped to prove the air cushion just produces a sound. It cant even hurt a human.

Instead they allowed the image of the whip to be the traditional kind from years ago. This is what a reactive industry does sadly...
I have a hot pink riding crop from a year in the range of 1990-1994 (guessing 1993).

Jockey Mike Luzzi (at that time one of the meet's leading riders) threw the whip at the rail (grazing my fingers) when Luzzi was frustrated after being dismounted by a bad actor during a post parade at Pimlico. Mike apologized soon after, calling my father and I up to the jockey's room and presenting the whip to us.

Has there been a change to the riding crop since the mid-'90s?

I wouldn't call the riding crop that I have 'barbaric' but I wouldn't call it an 'air-cushion' either.

Thanks

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 03-25-2019 at 01:52 PM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2019, 02:41 PM   #26
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
I have a hot pink riding crop from a year in the range of 1990-1994 (guessing 1993).
Please don't tell us about your private life! :P
Old 03-25-2019, 02:52 PM   #27
Robert Fischer
clean money

strictly memorabilia
Old 03-25-2019, 03:28 PM   #28
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Well, the 1978 JCGC is a nice counterexample. Shoemaker sure got Exceller to finish.
As a huge Slew fan, that was painful for me to watch, but for different reasons.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:39 PM   #29
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
As a huge Slew fan, that was painful for me to watch, but for different reasons.
Shoemaker beat Slew twice with amazing rides.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:39 AM   #30
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubercapper View Post

banning them will happen I can guarantee you that.
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: