Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 05-31-2009, 10:15 PM   #1
Dave Schwartz

a few questions...

I have a couple of questions I'd like to ask you guys.

1. What is the number one thing that you would like to know about racing that you do not already know?

2. What is the number on thing that you think most other handicappers should know that they don't know?

While lengthy comments are appreciated, please try to formulate the primary answer into a single-sentance question.

Someone presented this idea to me - I will explain the reasoning after we have responses.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-31-2009, 11:09 PM   #2
BUD

Dave I wish I knew enough to give the proper respect to your answer & time. For I cannot limit myself to one particular item--I would almost wager that the one thing I should know I am not even aware off.
I do wish I could predict when the rules are Not and chaos rules the race & the pay is high.

Number 2 see one.

Thanks MR Schwartz !!

Dave.
BUD is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-31-2009, 11:13 PM   #3
Dave Schwartz

Good answers, actually.

Keep 'em coming, guys.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-31-2009, 11:49 PM   #4
NJ Stinks

1. Why is it that owners flock to Pletcher, Frankel, and Asmussen with their two year olds when there are guys like Tim Ritchie and John Servis are out there pounding sand?

2. Betting Pletcher and Frankel in the BC is like burning money, is it not?
NJ Stinks is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-31-2009, 11:54 PM   #5
InFront
Veteran

1. I would like to know what are the "human intentions" on every horse in every race. That is besides what shows in any horse's PPs what is really on the minds of mainly the trainers that is: are we going for a win today, getting better at early speed, excercising the horse for an upcoming event, etc. They say that every horse entered in every race suppost to be at least trying to win. I say BULL to that cause it definitely not the case for many runners.

2. Simple, how to extract "longterm" profits from the races.

Last edited by InFront; 05-31-2009 at 11:55 PM.
InFront is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2009, 12:28 AM   #6
proximity

don't really have an opinion on question #2, but the number one thing i'd like to know about racing that i don't already know is len ragozin's formulas and procedures for incorporating wind speed and direction into his variants!!
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2009, 12:30 AM   #7
acorn54

[QUOTE=Dave Schwartz]I have a couple of questions I'd like to ask you guys.

1. What is the number one thing that you would like to know about racing that you do not already know?

2. What is the number on thing that you think most other handicappers should know that they don't know?

1- the riding stategy if any the trainer gives to the jockey before the race

2- that horserace wagering is a competition of bettors among themselves.
acorn54 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2009, 12:40 AM   #8
Imriledup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz
I have a couple of questions I'd like to ask you guys.

While lengthy comments are appreciated, please try to formulate the primary answer into a single-sentance question.

Someone presented this idea to me - I will explain the reasoning after we have responses.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz
1. This is a hard question because i'm not sure there's anything i don't know that's worth knowing. I'm sure there are things i don't know, but i just don't know what they are.

2. I think the #1 thing that most handicappers don't know (or realize) is that what they actually know and think makes them a very good handicapper is that they are not really as good as they believe. Its like someone who tells you they are a great pool player and then when you play them, you beat them easy even though you know in your head you are only a decent player and not even a pool shark. Or, when someone tells you that a certain restaurant is great and when you go there, you find out that you've been to 3 restaurants in the last week that are far superior.

Last edited by Imriledup; 06-01-2009 at 12:41 AM.
Imriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2009, 12:59 AM   #9
Hajck Hillstrom
Deftly Rated

1. The most effective tournament strategy.

2. True odds along with true value.
Hajck Hillstrom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2009, 01:06 AM   #10
fmolf

1) i would like to learn more about body language.. i am just breaking the
ice now,thru trial and error

2)what an overlay is and value wagering
fmolf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2009, 01:09 AM   #11
DeanT

Quote:
How to assimilate all the gambling and handicapping knowledge that I have learned over the years into a tight, easy to use model for maximum profitability.

Quote:

That a good gambler will always make more money than a good handicapper.

Last edited by DeanT; 06-01-2009 at 01:13 AM.
DeanT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2009, 01:11 AM   #12
kenwoodallpromos

2 things

1) The exact reason the trainer believes the horse ran below par in its last race.
2) The exact reason the horse was off longer coming into today's race than between recent previous races.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:39 AM   #13
Tee

1) Nothing & I'll tell you why. What if that one thing I think would like to know would end up being disastrous to my current way of handicapping/wagering?

2) Their education is never complete.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:25 AM   #14
thruncy

100ths of seconds

Why would anybody knowledgeable about thoroughbred race handicapping use them? Is there anybody out there that can truthfully say they are useful in any meaningful way?
thruncy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2009, 05:08 AM   #15
kenwoodallpromos

2 questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thruncy
Why would anybody knowledgeable about thoroughbred race handicapping use them? Is there anybody out there that can truthfully say they are useful in any meaningful way?
Useful? I do not know, I have yet to see them and have not made them myself in enough PP's to tell. Maybe I have not been handicapping enough to tell.
Question 1 was what I personally would like to know, and I am too lazy to do the work myself!! #2 was what I think everyone else should know, I just figured others may want to know how key a race the horse's last was.
Of course, my answers were for handicapping, not general racing knowledge.

Last edited by kenwoodallpromos; 06-01-2009 at 05:12 AM.
kenwoodallpromos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply