Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-09-2023, 09:21 AM   #1
the little guy

Wednesday 8/9 Talking Horses with NYRA President Dave O’Rourke

Dave O’Rourke is going to join me to start Talking Horses today, 8/9, at 12:05 ET to discuss events from last weekend. Hopefully you’ll get a chance to tune in.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2023, 09:51 AM   #2
Robert Fischer
clean money

Looking forward to it.
Old 08-09-2023, 12:25 PM   #3
Sheffwed

that was well done

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
Dave O’Rourke is going to join me to start Talking Horses today, 8/9, at 12:05 ET to discuss events from last weekend. Hopefully you’ll get a chance to tune in.
appreciate the candor, hopefully this past weekend is something that can inspire improvements across the board

here's hoping anyway
Sheffwed is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2023, 12:52 PM   #4
Andy Asaro

Good job Andy

I'd like to see them seed the Sunday pick 5 pool. Would be smart PR
Andy Asaro is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2023, 08:05 PM   #5
$w1fT
SaratogaFan1

Well done, Andy.
$w1fT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2023, 08:55 PM   #6
Moreno

will he take questions from the public?
Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2023, 09:01 PM   #7
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Would be nice if didn't take at so long to get it posted on Youtube for those of us that couldn't catch it live. It still isn't there.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-10-2023, 06:00 AM   #8
Publius

A great response by Dave O'Rourke.

Publius is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-10-2023, 08:35 AM   #9
king kong

Saratoga Sunday card

NYRA pickpockets should get arrested like common criminals
king kong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-10-2023, 11:08 AM   #10
classhandicapper

Now that we've heard from NYRA, IMO, horizontal players should be less concerned about what happened and more concerned about what changes are going to implemented so horseplayers can be confident they aren't trying to overcome disadvantages that exceed just the track take.

Going forward

Are they going to have the technical ability to cancel the wager entirely, refund the money, and the power to do so?

Are they going to modify the rules so they can deal with situations like this adequately and then follow them?

Are they going to have permission to delay the race and give players more time to cancel and adjust their bets?

Other?

They did a good job explaining what happened and taking responsibility, but what happens next has to be communicated and implemented.
Old 08-10-2023, 11:28 AM   #11
ScottJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
Now that we've heard from NYRA, IMO, horizontal players should be less concerned about what happened and more concerned about what changes are going to implemented so horseplayers can be confident they aren't trying to overcome disadvantages that exceed just the track take.

Going forward

Are they going to have the technical ability to cancel the wager entirely, refund the money, and the power to do so?

Are they going to modify the rules so they can deal with situations like this adequately and then follow them?

Are they going to have permission to delay the race and give players more time to cancel and adjust their bets?

Other?

They did a good job explaining what happened and taking responsibility, but what happens next has to be communicated and implemented.
Excellent questions and excellent points.

David O'Rourke demonstrated what leadership looks like during his Talking Horses preview show with Andy. Rather than passing the buck, pointing the finger, or chastising individuals, David concluded that it was not worth going through the minute-by-minute timeline and decision making as it would allow others to question the jockeys, the stewards, the NYRA staff, the wagering infrastructure and who knows what else.

Instead, he sat in the limelight, took the arrows, and said the key words : "The buck stops with me." Period. I, for one, sincerely believe him and believe that he has heard the community's concerns.

One also must acknowledge how well Andy handled what must have been a very difficult interview under immense pressure. He collegially handled the discussion, used terms that conveyed the temperature in the room (people are "pissed off"), and gave David the chance to honestly state the case. Not bad for a trained mathematician/statistician.
ScottJ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-10-2023, 12:38 PM   #12
aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
Excellent questions and excellent points.

David O'Rourke demonstrated what leadership looks like during his Talking Horses preview show with Andy. Rather than passing the buck, pointing the finger, or chastising individuals, David concluded that it was not worth going through the minute-by-minute timeline and decision making as it would allow others to question the jockeys, the stewards, the NYRA staff, the wagering infrastructure and who knows what else.

Instead, he sat in the limelight, took the arrows, and said the key words : "The buck stops with me." Period. I, for one, sincerely believe him and believe that he has heard the community's concerns.

One also must acknowledge how well Andy handled what must have been a very difficult interview under immense pressure. He collegially handled the discussion, used terms that conveyed the temperature in the room (people are "pissed off"), and gave David the chance to honestly state the case. Not bad for a trained mathematician/statistician.
In my opinion Andy did a very good interview.What I don't agree with is that David O'Rourke showed leadership. It is easy to take blame after the incident. A real leader would have been pro active and prevented the incident.What does he get paid for ? To apologize for incompetence. To me he sounded more like a political patronage person than a CEO.If in a case like this he can't overrule stewards, then what exactly can he do ? I would never say that he should overrule stewards for what happens in a race, but he should be able to protect the bettor in unusual circumstances.
aaron is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-10-2023, 12:42 PM   #13
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron View Post
In my opinion Andy did a very good interview.What I don't agree with is that David O'Rourke showed leadership. It is easy to take blame after the incident. A real leader would have been pro active and prevented the incident.What does he get paid for ? To apologize for incompetence. To me he sounded more like a political patronage person than a CEO.If in a case like this he can't overrule stewards, then what exactly can he do ? I would never say that he should overrule stewards for what happens in a race, but he should be able to protect the bettor in unusual circumstances.
This ^^^

It's all well and good that he apologized, but what about the money??? (which is what it's all about really)

Agree that Andy handled the interview very well
Old 08-10-2023, 12:49 PM   #14
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

The CEO wanted to give the money back and that was 100% the right call. Let's hope that he will work to get the rules changed before this occurs again.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-10-2023, 12:50 PM   #15
NTamm1215

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron View Post
At which tracks can executives “overrule” stewards? I’ll give you a hint…none.
NTamm1215 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply