Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 06-16-2016, 07:03 PM   #46
Fager Fan
Veteran

Grits, if I respond am I arguing with a sign post?

I agree they should warn of gators and settle with these parents. But I don't feel harshly about Disney. Gator attacks are more rare than lightning strikes. There were 80 attacks and fatalities from 1948 til 2005. They worked closely with wildlife officials (and none of them recommended warning signs?). We're also just assuming these parents knew nothing about the gators on the property instead of making an unwise choice. They do say others staying at the property knew.

Whatever, it's horrible, but I feel sure the folks at Disney are as horrified as we are, if not worse.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-16-2016, 09:45 PM   #47
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan
Grits, if I respond am I arguing with a sign post?

I agree they should warn of gators and settle with these parents. But I don't feel harshly about Disney. Gator attacks are more rare than lightning strikes. There were 80 attacks and fatalities from 1948 til 2005. They worked closely with wildlife officials (and none of them recommended warning signs?). We're also just assuming these parents knew nothing about the gators on the property instead of making an unwise choice. They do say others staying at the property knew.

Whatever, it's horrible, but I feel sure the folks at Disney are as horrified as we are, if not worse.
Not directed at you, but I find the bolded to be impossible to believe. It is the common way to express danger. I think Disney had a fubar. As for assuming the parents didn't know about gators, I can believe it. People on vacation leave their brains at home. Seen it many times. We once had a large family from Ohio try to raft on the Atlantic with 3 adults and five children on four rafts with 6 oars. Let that sink in. One raft had two under 10 children on it with one oar. On the ocean!!!!! All had to be rescued of course. The next day??? They burned the rental home down. True story.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-16-2016, 10:12 PM   #48
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6
Not directed at you, but I find the bolded to be impossible to believe. It is the common way to express danger. I think Disney had a fubar. As for assuming the parents didn't know about gators, I can believe it. People on vacation leave their brains at home. Seen it many times. We once had a large family from Ohio try to raft on the Atlantic with 3 adults and five children on four rafts with 6 oars. Let that sink in. One raft had two under 10 children on it with one oar. On the ocean!!!!! All had to be rescued of course. The next day??? They burned the rental home down. True story.
This doesn't say anything about the FWC's stance or thoughts on the signs, but they are supportive of Disney's efforts up to now regarding the alligators:

http://www.wesh.com/news/disney-wild...s-say/40075110
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-17-2016, 03:02 AM   #49
TBD

OK time to chime in. I have been a lifelong resident of the state of Florida. All this noise about signs, yes it would have been prudent on their part to have posted a sign. It should have read. Warning possible gator attack; possible rattle snake bite; possible coral snake bite; possible cotton mouth moccasin bite; possible panther attack; possible bobcat attack; possible rabid raccoon attack; possible rabid fox attack; possible mosquito bite; no swimming, possible amoeba attack, and finally it should have read this list like the list in your state is not even close to everything that can kill you while you are here. From me to them, this was a tragic event and truly my heart goes out to you. Enough about trying to assign blame.
Old 06-17-2016, 06:15 AM   #50
jk3521
Registered Loser

Disney cover-up 2012

Whalen said that's what happened in 2012 after the gator appeared in the water near her kids at Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort, which is on a different lake than the one where the boy was killed.

As shocked tourists looked on, she said, trappers caught the animal and carried it away, writhing, across a pool and courtyard area outside the hotel. Disney workers threatened to confiscate the phones and cameras of anyone who tried to photograph or videotape the spectacle, she said.

Whalen said she complained to the front desk and wrote a letter to Disney but never heard back.

(From WABC Eyewitness News)http://abc7ny.com/news/after-fatal-a...nings/1388104/

Last edited by jk3521; 06-17-2016 at 06:18 AM.
jk3521 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-17-2016, 09:04 AM   #51
Grits

Quote:
Five gators were removed from the lake following the boy's disappearance, and trappers continued looking for gators after his body was found Wednesday.
Five removed from the pond the child was attacked in. This is a nightmare. Wildlife officers and Disney do not have a hold on this. They simply do not. Not yet, anyway.

On CBS, as I watched last night. This father was laughed at and blown off, just last year. Different hotel, same problem.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/lane-gra...re-boys-death/

I remember when they were an endangered species and could not be hunted. They must be prolific breeders as they're all over the South now having been removed from the list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_alligator

Quote:
The American alligator is listed as Least Concern by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. Historically, hunting had decimated their population, and the American alligator was listed as an endangered species by the Endangered Species Act of 1973. Subsequent conservation efforts have allowed their numbers to increase and the species was removed from the list in 1987. Alligators are now harvested for their skins and meat. The species is the official state reptile of three states: Florida, Louisiana, and Mississippi.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-17-2016, 09:27 AM   #52
Rookies
Canadian since 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBD
OK time to chime in. I have been a lifelong resident of the state of Florida. All this noise about signs, yes it would have been prudent on their part to have posted a sign. It should have read. Warning possible gator attack; possible rattle snake bite; possible coral snake bite; possible cotton mouth moccasin bite; possible panther attack; possible bobcat attack; possible rabid raccoon attack; possible rabid fox attack; possible mosquito bite; no swimming, possible amoeba attack, and finally it should have read this list like the list in your state is not even close to everything that can kill you while you are here. From me to them, this was a tragic event and truly my heart goes out to you. Enough about trying to assign blame.

Normally, I would agree. If you are wandering around hot, humid, surrounded by Oceans and swampland- Florida, you should expect that there will be animals- wild, dangerous animals that you're not familiar with at home.

Caveat emptor and don't get all shite faced, when you go for a stroll in the woods or put your fool hand into some tepid water, searching for your golf ball.

But this is Disneyland, whose virtual entire modus operandi, is to encourage the worlds' children, really little children to come, relax, play and enjoy. And when you deliberately stage a little white sand beach, right next to an area of open water and adjacent to an uber expensive resort, no parent, let alone kid, would have the slightest idea that it was literally infested with free moving gators.

In addition, Disney deliberately decided to camouflage the real danger with that "deep water" nonsense. They will pay heavily for their choice; not as heavily as the poor parents, of course.
Rookies is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-17-2016, 10:06 AM   #53
MutuelClerk

Still looking for the gator? Must be one of those Muslim gators.
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-17-2016, 11:17 AM   #54
GameTheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookies
But this is Disneyland, whose virtual entire modus operandi, is to encourage the worlds' children, really little children to come, relax, play and enjoy. And when you deliberately stage a little white sand beach, right next to an area of open water and adjacent to an uber expensive resort, no parent, let alone kid, would have the slightest idea that it was literally infested with free moving gators.
It is very strange. There is no way to keep the gators out, and they should know that. They don't start out big, after all -- somebody could have dumped a baby gator in there for all we know -- happens all the time. That's why they have non-native killer crocs and giant Amazonian snakes in Florida swamps -- from people letting their pets go. Any body of water like that in a resort where people are encouraged to be near the edge should be totally clear like a swimming pool. It isn't even just gators you have to worry about.
GameTheory is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-17-2016, 12:18 PM   #55
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

You guys have things down there that the gators worry about.
Old 06-17-2016, 12:40 PM   #56
Rookies
Canadian since 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameTheory
It is very strange. There is no way to keep the gators out, and they should know that. They don't start out big, after all -- somebody could have dumped a baby gator in there for all we know -- happens all the time. That's why they have non-native killer crocs and giant Amazonian snakes in Florida swamps -- from people letting their pets go. Any body of water like that in a resort where people are encouraged to be near the edge should be totally clear like a swimming pool. It isn't even just gators you have to worry about.

Bottom line is that it is DISNEYLAND- not the Glades or Goober's hut in the woods. The only time you would expect to see gators at Disney is in an exhibit, with one of those Trump walls all around it! Apparently, there are unlimited numbers throughout the properties, living in any body of murky water.

Imagine, that Disney created beautiful mini beaches, right down to the waters' edge, where any Resort visitors would be encouraged to sit at the end of a long day on the rides & exhibits.
Rookies is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-17-2016, 12:42 PM   #57
jk3521
Registered Loser

Damned Obama !
jk3521 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-17-2016, 01:00 PM   #58
GameTheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookies
Bottom line is that it is DISNEYLAND- not the Glades or Goober's hut in the woods. The only time you would expect to see gators at Disney is in an exhibit, with one of those Trump walls all around it! Apparently, there are unlimited numbers throughout the properties, living in any body of murky water.
Yep, they are everywhere. Every PUDDLE you see in Florida should be considered to have a gator in it -- any depression on a lawn where rainwater forms, etc they will go and sit in there. (They will even dig their own depression sometimes.) Motels with a grassy area surrounding it have to watch out for this, a low spot will collect water. Of course you see them just sitting around in the sun too. I've even run into them in the forest (near water) around here.
GameTheory is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-17-2016, 01:03 PM   #59
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

When I was there i 1988, I ran into one one the sidewalk leading into NASA!
Cape Freaking Kennedy, there's a gator coming towards me.

Houston, we have a problem!
Old 06-17-2016, 03:34 PM   #60
onefast99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
When I was there i 1988, I ran into one one the sidewalk leading into NASA!
Cape Freaking Kennedy, there's a gator coming towards me.

Houston, we have a problem!
The space center is a national wildlife reserve as well. We witnessed a titan rocket go up about 10 years ago, once the ground shakes the gators come out it is quite the sight to see. There are signs warning of gators all over the space center. Aggressive gators are euthanized by the game commission. Disney isn't on a wildlife reserve, in fact in Epcot there is an attraction called the Land where you take a boat ride that near the end has a huge tank of American Alligators that are bred right there and released into the wilderness, has anyone even brought up the fact Disney itself breeds these alligators? It is also well known that the gators travel the water canals and can go from the wildlife reserve that someone mentioned was 2 miles away from the seven seas lagoon.