Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-12-2013, 12:13 AM   #1
Vengeance of Rain

When do we draw the line?

Specialness is entered in the 1st at Mountaineer on Sunday (AE).

He's 12 years old and has never won a race. This will be his 73rd start (0-5-7 from 72).

The last time he hit the board was 25 starts ago (over 2 years ago).

Should there be some kind of restriction whereby once a race horse passes a certain age and is winless they are no longer eligable to race?

Would something like this be the right thing to do or is it unfair to the owners?

Thoughts?
Vengeance of Rain is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2013, 12:29 AM   #2
CincyHorseplayer

My thought is I wish I owned land.I've seen this type of stuff before.I don't know what and if the tag is but here in Ohio you can get an awesome looking horse(as nearly all thoroghbreds are)for 5k or less.I'd love to get one of these old lookers and ride them around on the property.So many people have scrubby looking horses,why not just add a thoroughbred?

I think it's sick,that somebody out there needs beer money and races a maiden 12yo.
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2013, 12:38 AM   #3
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance of Rain
...Should there be some kind of restriction whereby once a race horse passes a certain age and is winless they are no longer eligable to race?
No offense to mountainman, but West Virginia may have one of the worst websites for navigating the rule book... ... luckily they order it well and logically, so finding exclusions and ineligibles is easy.

Rule 44.10 states that at age 13, horses are no longer eligible to compete.

That's a pretty common rule in jurisdictions I'm familiar with...

...though I suspect you are looking for the old style "maidens aged four, five, and six..." in the conditions as opposed to "four-year-olds and up".

-Robert James Smith, 1989

Last edited by johnhannibalsmith; 04-12-2013 at 12:42 AM.
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2013, 12:40 AM   #4
Vengeance of Rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHorseplayer
My thought is I wish I owned land.I've seen this type of stuff before.I don't know what and if the tag is but here in Ohio you can get an awesome looking horse(as nearly all thoroghbreds are)for 5k or less.I'd love to get one of these old lookers and ride them around on the property.So many people have scrubby looking horses,why not just add a thoroughbred?

I think it's sick,that somebody out there needs beer money and races a maiden 12yo.
He's going for 5k and yeah, I agree.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:40 AM   #5
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:

In my experience (which is very little) old race horses aren't exactly the "riding them around the property" types. I have known a few people who have adopted ex runners and it was a full time 6 month training regime just to get them settled and learn their quirks and they all tend to have lots of soreness issues etc. if you're picking up a 5k or less claimer, they are probably going to be very very touchy, sore etc. The two I have been around were tough cookies to handle.

One of my friends basically gave up and is just nurturing the horse who keeps a couple others company, no riding etc. The other got the horse to where they could trail ride etc but only very good riders and no newbies were allowed around that horse. I haven't seen them for a few years.......
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2013, 12:41 AM   #6
Vengeance of Rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith
No offense to mountainman, but West Virginia may have one of the worst websites for navigating the rule book... ... luckily they order it well and logically, so finding exclusions and ineligibles is easy.

Rule 44.10 states that at age 13, horses are no longer eligible to compete.

That's a pretty common rule in jurisdictions I'm familiar with.
Would you be opposed to seeing it lowered or some exception made for maidens?
Old 04-12-2013, 12:44 AM   #7
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance of Rain
Would you be opposed to seeing it lowered or some exception made for maidens?
Well... not really, because I think the majority of the cases are ones like this old bugger that are just filling races - at least in terms of maidens...

But, there are still a few old crafty sorts that have made a few dollars throughout recent history with aged maidens that were either first time starters or had run once early in their careers and were just waiting to come off the six year shelf for a big score...

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2013, 12:51 AM   #8
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
In my experience (which is very little) old race horses aren't exactly the "riding them around the property" types. I have known a few people who have adopted ex runners and it was a full time 6 month training regime just to get them settled and learn their quirks and they all tend to have lots of soreness issues etc. if you're picking up a 5k or less claimer, they are probably going to be very very touchy, sore etc. The two I have been around were tough cookies to handle.

One of my friends basically gave up and is just nurturing the horse who keeps a couple others company, no riding etc. The other got the horse to where they could trail ride etc but only very good riders and no newbies were allowed around that horse. I haven't seen them for a few years.......
Ralph,while that is a solid,well spoken response,I have a hard time believing a horse that just ran in a race,that I just claimed,is going to be untouchable to the point I can't grab a to go coffee mug and stroll around a couple miles on his or her back.I'm not in a position to do it,but I certainly know where the heart and mind and money would be.I love these animals.And I'd love to be able to tell stories to people while pointing out "I bet that guy in a 6f N3L race at River Downs and got 5-1 on him"!Hey,I can dream can't I?!I'll be there one day.Just not this day.
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2013, 12:52 AM   #9
JJMartin

He's waiting for the odds to be a million to 1 and tell the jockey to go for it
JJMartin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2013, 08:06 AM   #10
garyscpa

Quote:
Ralph,while that is a solid,well spoken response,I have a hard time believing a horse that just ran in a race,that I just claimed,is going to be untouchable to the point I can't grab a to go coffee mug and stroll around a couple miles on his or her back.I'm not in a position to do it,but I certainly know where the heart and mind and money would be.I love these animals.And I'd love to be able to tell stories to people while pointing out "I bet that guy in a 6f N3L race at River Downs and got 5-1 on him"!Hey,I can dream can't I?!I'll be there one day.Just not this day.
My family bought a retired racer in1972. They go for a lot cheaper than claiming price if they have no breeding value.

And they have two speeds- walking and full speed. They change from one to the other at their own whim.

Yes, it takes at least six months and lots of falls before they are ready for pleasure riding. Unless you are a trained jockey.
garyscpa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2013, 09:02 AM   #11
chadk66

over the years I gave away at least half a dozen horses for barrel racers or jumpers. they were all perfectly sound. just didn't have the ability to compete at the races. all were given perfectly loving homes. the owners, although reluctant at first, were able to go see them anytime they wanted. and they were all happy in the end.
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2013, 02:46 PM   #12
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadk66
over the years I gave away at least half a dozen horses for barrel racers or jumpers. they were all perfectly sound. just didn't have the ability to compete at the races. all were given perfectly loving homes. the owners, although reluctant at first, were able to go see them anytime they wanted. and they were all happy in the end.
Definitely, and good for you doing that, but you did say "Barrel racers or jumpers". Thoroughbreds are much better suited to those tasks than pleasure riding around a farm.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2013, 03:39 PM   #13
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
He's 12 years old and has never won a race. This will be his 73rd start (0-5-7 from 72).

The last time he hit the board was 25 starts ago (over 2 years ago).
I got two words for ya,.....Zippy Chippy.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:33 PM   #14
JohnGalt1

When Canterbury first opened they had a rule that 5 year old maidens had to run against winners. They usually went in NW2 races.

To the original point, I like hopeless horses in races. The attract money that might be bet on the horse I like.
JohnGalt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #15
Vengeance of Rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
I got two words for ya,.....Zippy Chippy.
Zippy Chippy has nothing to do with this horse, neither does Dona Chepa and neither does Vote for Lust. We can talk all day about others with even worse records but it doesn't take away from this instance.

This seems an indecent thing to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadk66
Good for you!

Last edited by Vengeance of Rain; 04-12-2013 at 05:09 PM.