Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Poll: Which best describes your gains or losses, from race wagering, per year.
Poll Options
Which best describes your gains or losses, from race wagering, per year.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:43 PM   #151
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike A
I've been biting my tongue here for a while....and no, I'm not going to bother giving this the full treatment. I'm just going to allow myself a slight venting.

I kind of feel bad for the extreme cynics. I feel that at the root of the cynicism, is lack of understanding of so many of the dynamics involved.

I'm not sure how many of the biggest winners here have actually voted, but what would surprise ME is if there were actually only ~12 players on this board who make more than 100k per annum. I'm pretty sure it's more than that...and probably at least a few who make over 300k.

The purpose of this little post is meant to be a positive one. Come on, guys...
if what you are doing isn't working....for God's sake stay determined, and at least try something else.
Given the size of the TOTAL membership here, which I believe is well into the thousands (Pace?), I can understand why you might be surprised by only 12 people making $100k or more. One small problem: thousands haven't voted. At one point last night, 12 out of 136 were making the $100k or more claim. That's the stat I don't believe.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-23-2010, 05:03 PM   #152
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
You honestly think a site like this represents the horse playing community as a whole? You don't think for a moment that this site might just be a little top heavy with winning players compared to the general horse playing population?There are guys out there clearing SEVEN FIGURES after rebates...why don't you think there wouldn't be a bunch of guys making a measly six figures?

I'm not saying I have full faith in the honesty of this particular poll, but no, it would not surprise me in the least if this board, which has been around over 11 years, has more than a few players making $100,000 or more per year.
For the most part, I think this site is fairly representative of the horse playing community (excluding the $2 players who use off-track betting parlors as social gathering places). Passion and interest may run higher here, but I don't think those two factors necessarily determine success.

How many guys in the country do you believe are clearing seven figures with rebates? My guess is that number is 5 to 10 at most, and I suspect maybe one or two post here (the gentleman who used to play in NY and then moved to Vegas when the takeout went up being one of them**). Again, these are guesses, so if you have better intell, please correct me. If 12 out 750 had claimed to be making $100k or more, the poll would be more plausible, imo.

**Ernie Dahlman is his name, I believe. I wish he'd chime in on this issue.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:08 PM   #153
bigmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike
**Ernie Dahlman is his name, I believe. I wish he'd chime in on this issue.
What would you like for him to chime?
bigmack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-23-2010, 05:17 PM   #154
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmack
What would you like for him to chime?
I was using the intransitive verb "chime in," as in "join the discussion." Why? Because I think he's got better perspective than most.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:31 PM   #155
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
I'm cynical, but not extremely. I think they're out there, those who make the big dollars playing this game, but I still don't know any of them. Those making the big dollars are still legend and myth to me, only spoken of by purveyors of product.
There are two that I know of on this board that have made more than $1m in a single year for multiple years. I doubt if either of them voted.

You know them as posters but do not know that they make that much. Neither are clients of mine.

Dave
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-23-2010, 06:16 PM   #156
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer
He has much to learn about the science of polling(which I also happen to be an expert in).
Well, please Mr. Expert, dazzle us with your expertness in polling. Oh, don't forget where you are. This isn't a forum for dummies, as you will find out rather quickly, if you can't prove you're the expert you claim.

The poll does not require anyone to disclose how much they make, or who they are, or their secrets.

Using common sense will lead you to know that winning players are more likely to vote than losing players, especially on this forum.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-23-2010, 07:03 PM   #157
MPRanger

Better to lose on paper than at the windows.
--------------------------------------------

But better to win at the windows than to win on paper.
MPRanger is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-23-2010, 08:10 PM   #158
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Well, please Mr. Expert, dazzle us with your expertness in polling.
Raybo,

I think he was kidding. (But I could be wrong.)

Dave
Old 11-23-2010, 09:11 PM   #159
speculus
Zapoorzaa!!!

[QUOTE=Dave Schwartz]
......If we accept the notion that 2% to 3% of the wagering public is profitable, that would be between 377 and 566 profitable members.... [QUOTE]

Dave, I had many years ago read a credible article online (don't remember the source now) which presented data collected over several years (I think 8 years) that showed only 1 in 1200 players was a consistent winner, that's less than 0.1% (0.08%).

The consistent winner was defined as someone who showed profit for five straight years.

I have a feeling this figure could be more close to truth than the 1 or 2 % which majority believes.

P.S. Strangely, in an imperfect experiment I carried out (of course, over too short a sample to claim any value for the finding), the figure was 1 out of 1450.

www.DynamicHandicapping.com/

Last edited by speculus; 11-23-2010 at 09:13 PM.
speculus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-23-2010, 10:00 PM   #160
Dave Schwartz

Spec,

Could you describe how your experiment worked?

Dave
Old 11-23-2010, 10:40 PM   #161
speculus
Zapoorzaa!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz
Spec,

Could you describe how your experiment worked?

Dave
In 2004, I was invited to join the Tote committee of the Royal Western India Turf Club (RWITC) and that gave me unlimited access to data (including archived data) of nearly 5,800 regular gamblers (people who almost bet daily on their races). As a novel experiment, the club had also introduced special cards (like credit/debit cards) using which the members could bet (the practice was later discontinued).

I remember having examined data of over 3-1/2 years, and had found that there were only 4 (four) gamblers who had shown profit.

www.DynamicHandicapping.com/

Last edited by speculus; 11-23-2010 at 10:41 PM.
speculus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-24-2010, 02:52 AM   #162
bettheoverlay

Is it reasonable to assume that for those making 100K+ a year, all of their profit is coming from rebates?
bettheoverlay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-24-2010, 03:12 AM   #163
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettheoverlay
Is it reasonable to assume that for those making 100K+ a year, all of their profit is coming from rebates?
Wouldn't that mean that none of this game's best players are able to beat the game "straight up"?
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-24-2010, 07:48 AM   #164
sjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
Wouldn't that mean that none of this game's best players are able to beat the game "straight up"?
If it is true it would merely point out that if you are out to maximize your profit dollars you would be likely to reduce your ROI. What you are able to do may not be material to the strategy you choose to follow.
sjk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-24-2010, 09:31 AM   #165
Dave Schwartz

Among some very large rebate operations, the belief is that if you are breaking even, you are not betting enough money. Bet more, and make it back on the rebate.