Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Poll: Which best describes your gains or losses, from race wagering, per year.
Poll Options
Which best describes your gains or losses, from race wagering, per year.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:52 AM   #136
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy Chippy
Read background before you mark smartass posts.. I was referring to him saying that there has been 200 posts on "rebates" and i was asking how many of them were in general forums. Paying attention is allowed in forums too dummy..
You couldn't count them yourself eh?
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2010, 11:52 AM   #137
precocity
Veteran

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
$100,000 a year is nothing when it comes to what the big winners take down in this game. I could easily believe there are eight people on here that make $100,000 or more wagering on horse racing.

Why is this a joke?
lol new a big time trainer that used to train mainly at lone star park hell he had vouchers on him more than a 100 geez...
precocity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2010, 07:22 PM   #138
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
$100,000 a year is nothing when it comes to what the big winners take down in this game. I could easily believe there are eight people on here that make $100,000 or more wagering on horse racing.

Why is this a joke?
We now have 12 out of 137 claiming to make over $100k/yr. Why is that a joke? Because I don't believe it for a minute. Given your general level of skepticism, which is way off the charts, I'm surprised you aren't questioning the numbers, too. We also have 36 out of 137 making $5k or more per yr. Geeh with these stats, we have the winning players needed to attract new players to the game. The lower-takeout extremists always claim the game doesn't attract new players because we have so very few winners. Well that sure isn't true here. I've heard Steve Crist speak to this issue, i.e., how many players truly make money betting on horses, and these results certainly contradict his thoughts. Maybe this site is just full of Keilloreque players, where everyone is above average.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2010, 07:54 PM   #139
trackrat59

I'm willing to start holding the bets for the 3 people that lost over $100,000 a year.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:37 PM   #140
FenceBored

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackrat59
I'm willing to start holding the bets for the 3 people that lost over $100,000 a year.
Sorry, job's taken.
FenceBored is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2010, 10:28 PM   #141
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike
We now have 12 out of 137 claiming to make over $100k/yr. Why is that a joke? Because I don't believe it for a minute. Given your general level of skepticism, which is way off the charts, I'm surprised you aren't questioning the numbers, too. We also have 36 out of 137 making $5k or more per yr. Geeh with these stats, we have the winning players needed to attract new players to the game. The lower-takeout extremists always claim the game doesn't attract new players because we have so very few winners. Well that sure isn't true here. I've heard Steve Crist speak to this issue, i.e., how many players truly make money betting on horses, and these results certainly contradict his thoughts. Maybe this site is just full of Keilloreque players, where everyone is above average.
You honestly think a site like this represents the horse playing community as a whole? You don't think for a moment that this site might just be a little top heavy with winning players compared to the general horse playing population?

There are guys out there clearing SEVEN FIGURES after rebates...why don't you think there wouldn't be a bunch of guys making a measly six figures?

I'm not saying I have full faith in the honesty of this particular poll, but no, it would not surprise me in the least if this board, which has been around over 11 years, has more than a few players making $100,000 or more per year.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 11-22-2010 at 10:29 PM.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2010, 10:29 PM   #142
Beachbabe

Interesting !
We now have 44 people who say they lose at least 1,000 a year and 44 who say they win at least a 1,000 a year.
Time to close the poll (once the 3 who lose over 100k a year come off the window ledge).
Beachbabe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2010, 11:13 PM   #143
bigmack

Quote:
I'm not saying I have full faith in the honesty of this particular poll, but no, it would not surprise me in the least if this board, which has been around over 11 years, has more than a few players making $100,000 or more per year.
I find those convulsing into kanipchens of disbelief that anyone could reel in more than $100K, a goofy commentary on how they view the possibilities of this game in 2010.

I figered folk new that the skye is the limets for any1 in anythinge. Noing how to spell dont mean nothing iether.
bigmack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-23-2010, 02:11 AM   #144
thaskalos

Quote:
You honestly think a site like this represents the horse playing community as a whole? You don't think for a moment that this site might just be a little top heavy with winning players compared to the general horse playing population?

There are guys out there clearing SEVEN FIGURES after rebates...why don't you think there wouldn't be a bunch of guys making a measly six figures?

The 12 people claiming six-digit annual profits is not the unbelievable stat in the poll, IMO.

45 winners, 44 losers and 50 about even...in a game where only 2% of the players are believed to be winners in the long run? It just doesn't sound right...

And I didn't even vote yet, because I don't want to throw the figures even more out of kilter.

Last edited by thaskalos; 11-23-2010 at 02:21 AM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-23-2010, 07:44 AM   #145
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Only a small fraction of our members have voted. Guess which group would be less likely to vote? Yup, the ones below break-even.

Those who profit from the game will vote on ego alone, even if it's an anonymous vote.

But, I certainly can understand why many find it hard to believe that so many have voted at >$100k. The 2%-98% figure has been drilled into their heads for so long, they think that ratio should be reflected here too. No way.

But if the losing players here would go ahead and vote things would start looking more realistic, aside from the >$100k category, that's always going to look a little funny, but, not necessarily in error.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-23-2010, 10:55 AM   #146
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
The 12 people claiming six-digit annual profits is not the unbelievable stat in the poll, IMO.

45 winners, 44 losers and 50 about even...in a game where only 2% of the players are believed to be winners in the long run? It just doesn't sound right...
you don't know what you're talking about.

the typical message boarding horseplayer:
  1. +ROI(flat,w/rebate,or not this year but over the last Xyears, or before expenses...)
  2. wagers enough for rebates
  3. regularly plays(and hits) boxcar exotics and long-shots
  4. doesn't experience long losing streaks
  5. Typically misinterprets fundamental aspects of races when discussing them...
  6. ...yet has devised proprietary metrics
  7. has several spot plays that "buck" mathematical behavior
  8. wagers on a large number of races, wagers on(or randomly opposes) fan-favorites
Old 11-23-2010, 10:56 AM   #147
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybo
Only a small fraction of our members have voted. Guess which group would be less likely to vote? Yup, the ones below break-even.
He has much to learn about the science of polling(which I also happen to be an expert in).
Old 11-23-2010, 12:11 PM   #148
Dave Schwartz

It seems this thread has exposed a high degree of cynicism in our community.
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-23-2010, 02:18 PM   #149
Mike A
Laughcriminal

Yeah...

I've been biting my tongue here for a while....and no, I'm not going to bother giving this the full treatment. I'm just going to allow myself a slight venting.

I kind of feel bad for the extreme cynics. I feel that at the root of the cynicism, is lack of understanding of so many of the dynamics involved.

I'm not sure how many of the biggest winners here have actually voted, but what would surprise ME is if there were actually only ~12 players on this board who make more than 100k per annum. I'm pretty sure it's more than that...and probably at least a few who make over 300k.

The purpose of this little post is meant to be a positive one. Come on, guys...
if what you are doing isn't working....for God's sake stay determined, and at least try something else.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:21 PM   #150
kid4rilla
Thread Killer

I'm cynical, but not extremely. I think they're out there, those who make the big dollars playing this game, but I still don't know any of them. Those making the big dollars are still legend and myth to me, only spoken of by purveyors of product.

Wonder where Enigma voted in this poll, or DaHoss.

If I ever figure it out how to do it, I'm not telling either.
kid4rilla is offline   Reply With Quote Reply