Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 12-30-2010, 09:59 AM   #1
Charles54

Trackmaster Data Alternatives

I contacted TrackMaster about getting comma-delimited back programs for harness racing and was told that it would cost about five thousand dollars a year and another five thousand for charts. That seems outrageous to me, especially since a current subscription for those programs is just four hundred dollars a year.

However, there is no other source for harness data (I wonder why the industry is dying...?) Therefore, I am thinking that, even though I have always bet harness, I will switch to thoroughbreds.

So, what are people's opinions on the best source for data files? Basic data is fine, since I like to do my own ratings anyway. The criteria would be cost, reliability and formatting.

I know this has been discussed before, but if I could get a few current opinions that would be great. Thanks.
Charles54 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-30-2010, 03:52 PM   #2
Red Knave
dGnr8

IMHO, you want data from HDW ( http://www.horsedata.com/ ) but I *think* that means you need to have one of the software packages that use it (i.e. HSH, JCapper, HTR, Equisim etc.). Check with HDW or someone here will chime in.

The takers get the honey, the givers sing the blues - Robin Trower, Too Rolling Stoned - 1974
Red Knave is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-30-2010, 09:57 PM   #3
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

If you have the ability to create PPs from charts, you can get charts from Brisnet for $.25 per card, minimum $20 purchase. The archives cost the same as current cards.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-31-2010, 02:30 PM   #4
njcurveball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles54

However, there is no other source for harness data (I wonder why the industry is dying...?) Therefore, I am thinking that, even though I have always bet harness, I will switch to thoroughbreds.
When the USTA had HTML charts, you could set up a parsing program. They changed that a while back to add all special characters. Even the trackmaster data has special characters.

Harness seems to be of the mind set, "we don't want guys using computers!".

They have lost many computer players to Thoroughbreds with these dumb decisions to "protect" their data.

I tried a few times with Trackmaster and even buying the charts to duplicate the database fields I use to import from USTA. There were just too many errors.

HDW is the best data provider out there. Check out the software that uses their data and find one that fits your style. Many of them have forums you can post and ask questions, even before buying.

The HTR forum even allows non subscribers to compete in contests.

best of luck,
Jim
njcurveball is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-31-2010, 04:52 PM   #5
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

You have to wonder if harness is trying to commit suicide the way they cling to the 1950's in terms of technology. I gave up taking anything harness serious after trying to get into it a while ago. They need to wake up and smell the coffee. I play only a few bucks a month now, if that.

But I echo HDW is the best. The comma charts alone are worth the entire HTR price.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:40 AM   #6
Charles54

Thanks for the feedback. The monthly prices at HDW look good, but they don't seem to offer archived data. At least, I can't seem to find that information.

The Brisnet charts also look fine, but they seem to cost $.50. That means a working database of 100k archived races would cost about five thousand dollars.

What about DRF? It looks like you can get a full year of back charts for $799. That is much more reasonable than the pay-by-the-chart sources. Any problems with the DRF data or service?

Does anyone other than DRF offer data files by the year; rather than per chart?
Charles54 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2011, 10:47 AM   #7
Rook

Quote:
What about DRF? It looks like you can get a full year of back charts for $799. That is much more reasonable than the pay-by-the-chart sources. Any problems with the DRF data or service?
Yes, there are huge problems with DRF. Follow the current thread where you will learn that they don't bother to fix or come up with workarounds to serious issues and they don't even have the decency to respond to emails.
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2011, 11:06 AM   #8
njcurveball

Quote:

What about DRF? It looks like you can get a full year of back charts for $799. That is much more reasonable than the pay-by-the-chart sources.
When you sign up for HDW it is a monthly basis and you have access to the last 45 days. So if you were to sign up today you would get all of December and the last part of November.

HTR has another modeling program called Maxvel and many users are doing quite well using that with the last 45 days data.

In my mind it is best to make money now, rather than spend months and months testing old data.
njcurveball is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-03-2011, 12:17 AM   #9
Fox

[QUOTE=Charles54]Thanks for the feedback. The monthly prices at HDW look good, but they don't seem to offer archived data. At least, I can't seem to find that information.

QUOTE]

I signed up a few months ago and they offered back data at the regular monthly price for each archived month. If you get enough archived months, they will cut you a deal. You have to ask for the archives over the phone and they'll send you an internet link through email to a personalized download address.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: