Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-12-2021, 03:03 PM   #46
MooseDog

Actually, you are both right on your points, but don't let me get in the way of a good scrap.

In a 6F race, I count 7 trees in which two big ones block the horses completely at two separate points down the backstretch, but for really less than a second. Vic might have been guilty of hyperbole as the horses certainly disappear for longer than a millisecond.

But dilansp is correct in that if you were at grandstand level you're going to be looking at the infield big screen quite a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
Oaklawn? We have "ONE" tree that takes a millisecond to pass. In fact I didn't even realize it was there until reading your post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Really? I think you have trees at the 7 furlong pole, the backstretch, and the 5/16 pole. If I ever get to Oaklawn (I hope to do so someday- my mother, who just died, wanted to go and even got to know the late Terry Wallace, but never went), I will do a tree census.....

Is it possible you don't notice the trees because you are up so high atop the grandstand? They certainly look like they obstruct vision on TV and in the seats.
MooseDog is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2021, 03:57 PM   #47
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Really? I think you have trees at the 7 furlong pole, the backstretch, and the 5/16 pole. If I ever get to Oaklawn (I hope to do so someday- my mother, who just died, wanted to go and even got to know the late Terry Wallace, but never went), I will do a tree census.....

Is it possible you don't notice the trees because you are up so high atop the grandstand? They certainly look like they obstruct vision on TV and in the seats.
Sorry to hear about your Mom, my condolences.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2021, 04:23 PM   #48
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Sorry to hear about your Mom, my condolences.
Thank you
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2021, 11:54 PM   #49
v j stauffer

Quote:

Sorry about your Mom. I lost mine in 1979.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:57 AM   #50
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
Sorry about your Mom. I lost mine in 1979.
Thank you.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:58 AM   #51
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

My sympathies to you as well dilanesp.
Old 04-13-2021, 01:29 PM   #52
Elkchester Road

Quote:

Sorry to hear about your Mother, dilanesp. I am hoping you get to Oaklawn...soon.
Old 04-13-2021, 01:35 PM   #53
dilanesp

Thanks everyone.
Old 05-02-2021, 06:25 PM   #54
affirmedny

Good article on Grunder

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/2021..._medium=social
affirmedny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2021, 10:26 AM   #55
usfgeology

Grunder was all class on Sunday. He was riffing and reminiscing on the various winning connections all day, thanking the horsemen and women, and the fans. They played videos of various trainers, jockeys and industry heavyweights saying goodbye between. Someone named a MSW horse in the 6th "Grunder"...pretty cool stuff. They had an amazing montage of his catch phrases. Some of the softer members of the crowd even shed a tear.

I think it's pretty special to go out on your own terms after a lifetime of doing something you are passionate about. Tampa Bay Downs will never sound the same again.
usfgeology is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2021, 11:52 AM   #56
mountainman

Quote:
Thank you
So sorry, dude. Mine has been gone 23 years, but i still sometimes pretend she's alive.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2021, 02:23 PM   #57
Gamblin4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
So sorry, dude. Mine has been gone 23 years, but i still sometimes pretend she's alive.
I lost mine 10yrs ago and I still talk talk to her sometimes.
Gamblin4ever is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2021, 09:59 AM   #58
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseDog View Post
CJ -

Don't know if you remember him, but we had Dick Riley on the California Fair circuit for forever...Dick was absolutely the worst race caller in the history of race calling, and he was clueless as to why people were critical of him.

Dick did everything CARF asked of him, morning line, announcing, fan events and he really was one of the nicest guys you would ever meet and maybe Everett Nevin (long-time CARF head) just never had the heart to replace him.

There really isn't any one guy doing the fairs now but back in the day when you heard Riley calling in "deep, deep stretch" you know it was the CA Fair circuit.

Like Grunder, I think after awhile they kind of grow on you...
True story. I was hired by CARF to call all the Fairs. Everett Nevin was so loyal to Dick he had him call live over the speakers at Ferndale. While I was calling for the rest of the simulcast world. Two announcers at FERNDALE of all places. Also happened at Sacramento with Joe Alto. At Vallejo the Fair Manager Bob Dunham was going to do the same thing with his guy. The legendary Craig O.K. Ingram but changed his mind when he found out how much it would cost to build a 2nd announcers booth. Gave Craig a job taking tickets at the Fair gate. He wasn't pleased.
Old 05-06-2021, 10:02 AM   #59
v j stauffer

Quote:
My recollection was that you could hear the announcer in the early stages in the race, but not after the horses turned for home and the crowd started roaring. So you could argue that an announcer who was accurate in the early stages in the race added some value; dramatic stretch calls, on the other hand, were unnecessary in that era (and if you listen to recordings of old announcers like Joe Hernandez and Fred Capossela, they rarely did them).
Back in those days many announcers were told to stop calling the race at the 1/16 pole.
Old 05-06-2021, 10:04 AM   #60
v j stauffer

Quote:
In 2021, with all the trip handicappers out there, there shouldn't be any trees at any track blocking any portion of the race. Oaklawn, Saratoga, you listening? (Santa Anita has trees too, but these days they only block the first 1/4 mile of 1 1/2 mile turf races. Still, they should come down.)
Trees at Arlington are a nightmare.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: