Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 03-17-2021, 09:16 PM   #1
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

New Orleans Classic - Gr2

Has Owendale finally found a field he can beat? He just never seems to get by, losing ground in the last 1/8 more times than not. Once again, he looks like a major player (and probable ML favorite). Will likely improve 2nd off the shelf, but I will take my chances against a win at low odds.

The other contenders:

Roadster - off for a year and now gone from the Baffert barn. Might be the speed as this race lacks any true E types. Not sure what to do with this guy.

Sonneman - a bit of a hnager in his own right, he seems to prefer 2nd place to winning. Still, a consistent runner and had a good 2nd behind Maxfield last out. Can be right there.

Chess Chief - good horse & based on his FG form, he has a shot. Cross out all races at other tracks. Can easily hit the board.

Enforceable - another pretty good runner who also loves FG, but he just hasn't gotten any better than his 3yr old form. Back class; faced the best of his generation in the Blue Grass & Kentucky Derby and didn't run too badly either time. Another who can get a piece.

Olliemyboy - how about this guy? The 'now' horse. Two consecutive wins with a strong late run in each. Steps into the big leagues, but there are no killers in this field...lightly raced, seems to be improving, razor sharp, he can get a big piece at a good price. Irad up is always a plus. My key runner.

Who ya' got?
Old 03-18-2021, 12:42 AM   #2
taxicab

There just isn't any speed in this race.
I usually don't like taking horses exiting the Baffert barn,but...
I'll go with Roadster hoping he can find some of his former early lick.
Maybe on my multi's I'll throw in Olliemyboy on the sharpness factor hoping he doesn't blow the start,which can be his MO.
Two deep on my P-3/4/5.
taxicab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-18-2021, 01:17 PM   #3
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour View Post
Has Owendale finally found a field he can beat? He just never seems to get by, losing ground in the last 1/8 more times than not. Once again, he looks like a major player (and probable ML favorite). Will likely improve 2nd off the shelf, but I will take my chances against a win at low odds.

The other contenders:

Roadster - off for a year and now gone from the Baffert barn. Might be the speed as this race lacks any true E types. Not sure what to do with this guy.

Sonneman - a bit of a hnager in his own right, he seems to prefer 2nd place to winning. Still, a consistent runner and had a good 2nd behind Maxfield last out. Can be right there.

Chess Chief - good horse & based on his FG form, he has a shot. Cross out all races at other tracks. Can easily hit the board.

Enforceable - another pretty good runner who also loves FG, but he just hasn't gotten any better than his 3yr old form. Back class; faced the best of his generation in the Blue Grass & Kentucky Derby and didn't run too badly either time. Another who can get a piece.

Olliemyboy - how about this guy? The 'now' horse. Two consecutive wins with a strong late run in each. Steps into the big leagues, but there are no killers in this field...lightly raced, seems to be improving, razor sharp, he can get a big piece at a good price. Irad up is always a plus. My key runner.

Who ya' got?
Errrks...made an error...Olliemyboy is actually the
Old 03-18-2021, 01:39 PM   #4
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour View Post
Errrks...made an error...Olliemyboy is actually the
Ollie Ollie oxen three!
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-18-2021, 01:49 PM   #5
Racetrack Playa
regular user

GL PoT

10th
Dalika
Logic and Reason

11th N.O.C.
Roadster- id like 5-1 happy 2 see him in a new barn, thought he was dead. now will he run fast?

Chess Chief -easy for me to like here

12th
Spooky Channel
Conviction Trade'

13th chalk
14th chalk

Old 03-19-2021, 06:40 PM   #6
Secondbest

In the New Orleans. I'm going with the 4 Captivating Moon.
Secondbest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2021, 09:52 AM   #7
classhandicapper

I wonder why they brought Roadster back. He already has a Grade 1 win.

Couldn't he find a spot as a stallion just off that?
Old 03-20-2021, 11:04 AM   #8
Wiley
Horse Racing Connossieur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secondbest View Post
In the New Orleans. I'm going with the 4 Captivating Moon.
Looks like Captivating Moon is going in the Turf stakes instead.

The lack of pace in this race is glaring. Roadster might be the most likely early leader coming out of sprints and it looks like he has been training fast. Don't like the more than a year lay off, but has ran good races off the bench. Also been training at FG for around 3 months or so with a string of nice works. I assume Stidham has had him since the first of the year.

Geroux will probably try to keep Owendale connected to the early pace like Maxfield in the Mineshaft.
Looks like Stewart has targeted this race for Chess Chief and he should be closer to the leader or on the lead himself and I might land there for the win.

Always have liked this race, used to run it at a mile and a quarter. I was at the 1984 edition when Wild Again nipped Explosive Bid at the wire, same year WA won the inaugural BC Classic. Jimmy the Greek was there doing a show for maybe CBS on that race, I remember he did not pick Wild Again who was around 10-1. I had it, probably why I remember it so well, but it was a great race too.
Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2021, 11:08 AM   #9
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
I wonder why they brought Roadster back. He already has a Grade 1 win.

Couldn't he find a spot as a stallion just off that?
Maybe we can just celebrate the fact that he DIDN'T go to the breeding shed?
Old 03-20-2021, 12:29 PM   #10
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Stretching it to call this a Gr3 race.
Nothing good early, not much good late.

Enforceable looks interesting. Good in the derby trail and then flattened out as so many do. Now he is sowing improving form and set a new top two back agsint a legit pace, then, understandably, a slight regression.

Can he move ahead again today?
M:L 8-1, he is my play.
Old 03-20-2021, 01:53 PM   #11
Secondbest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley View Post
Looks like Captivating Moon is going in the Turf stakes instead.

The lack of pace in this race is glaring. Roadster might be the most likely early leader coming out of sprints and it looks like he has been training fast. Don't like the more than a year lay off, but has ran good races off the bench. Also been training at FG for around 3 months or so with a string of nice works. I assume Stidham has had him since the first of the year.

Geroux will probably try to keep Owendale connected to the early pace like Maxfield in the Mineshaft.
Looks like Stewart has targeted this race for Chess Chief and he should be closer to the leader or on the lead himself and I might land there for the win.

Always have liked this race, used to run it at a mile and a quarter. I was at the 1984 edition when Wild Again nipped Explosive Bid at the wire, same year WA won the inaugural BC Classic. Jimmy the Greek was there doing a show for maybe CBS on that race, I remember he did not pick Wild Again who was around 10-1. I had it, probably why I remember it so well, but it was a great race too.
I did not know that . Thanks. Looks like no bet for me
Secondbest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2021, 02:19 PM   #12
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarchCapper View Post
Maybe we can just celebrate the fact that he DIDN'T go to the breeding shed?
Baffert prolly wanted him to go to the breeding shed and the owners disagreed, wanted to see him race and win.

Hasn’t won in almost two years. Lots of seconds last year on the pps.

Can he do one better today under a new trainer?

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2021, 03:21 PM   #13
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99 View Post
Baffert prolly wanted him to go to the breeding shed and the owners disagreed, wanted to see him race and win.

Hasn’t won in almost two years. Lots of seconds last year on the pps.

Can he do one better today under a new trainer?

Allan
Same owners ran Collected for another year after his Gr I win and 2nd in the BC Classic.

May need to add any Speedway Stable 3YOs in the future to the list of geldings and fillies that comprise my shortlist of TC contenders I root for/care about seeing do well.
Old 03-20-2021, 03:45 PM   #14
shots

https://www.onlinegambling.com/news/...d-new-orleans/
shots is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2021, 04:56 PM   #15
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

The Olliemyboy opens up as the 2nd choice at 7-2 off a 12-1 ML

I blame Irad

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: