Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-14-2021, 07:29 PM   #1
dilanesp

hey Oaklawn, it's 2021, stop using monochrome saddlecloths in "big" races

It doesn't make your race look "big" when you use monochrome saddlecloths, as Oaklawn did in the Rebel. That might have been true in 1987, but it isn't true now. Even the Kentucky Derby and Breeders' Cup, the biggest races, have used multicolored saddlecloths for years. Why? Because it helps the gamblers identify the horses while watching the race on television or the Internet.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2021, 07:52 PM   #2
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Oaklawn does almost everything right, not sure why they stick to this practice. Is Keeneland the only other track that does it? I can't remember any others but maybe there are a few.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2021, 07:53 PM   #3
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Oaklawn does almost everything right, not sure why they stick to this practice. Is Keeneland the only other track that does it? I can't remember any others but maybe there are a few.
There may be one or two others. I know it shows up every once in awhile, always in a big race, and I start cursing at the screen.
Old 03-14-2021, 09:49 PM   #4
The_Turf_Monster

Funny how every other country in the world where Racing matters doesn’t struggle with not color coding the saddle cloths and we were fine for over a century by not doing it. It doesn’t impact the outcome of the race
The_Turf_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2021, 10:14 PM   #5
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Turf_Monster View Post
Funny how every other country in the world where Racing matters doesn’t struggle with not color coding the saddle cloths and we were fine for over a century by not doing it. It doesn’t impact the outcome of the race
That's like saying that for hundreds of years, the sport survived without replays or where the only films of the races were reviewed by the stewards and the public never saw them.

The color-coded saddle cloths were a great innovation that allows bettors to follow the races easier. Other countries that don't have them don't know what they are missing.
Old 03-14-2021, 10:23 PM   #6
woodbinepmi

I agree, it makes life so much easier to locate a runner in a pack when you know what colour you are looking for.
Old 03-14-2021, 11:21 PM   #7
BarchCapper

A couple of things in this regard:

1) Some tracks need to get some new saddlecloths/house silks. Those pinkish 7s and orange-y 8s and faded blue 3s aren't doing anyone any favors.

2) The multiple ownership interests on so many horses have exacerbated the need - we often don't know whose silks a horse is going to run in today until the jock comes out.

3) That said, I don't mind the online programs that include pictures of the silks (like www.attheraces.com for the UK/Ireland, and I know I've seen them in the TVG app here at least). When the horses are bunched up - it's a big help knowing more than just saddlecloths.
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2021, 12:50 AM   #8
The_Turf_Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
That's like saying that for hundreds of years, the sport survived without replays or where the only films of the races were reviewed by the stewards and the public never saw them.

The color-coded saddle cloths were a great innovation that allows bettors to follow the races easier. Other countries that don't have them don't know what they are missing.
No, it’s like saying that if you’re so interested in a bet, pay attention to where your horse is. One common denominator of American horseplayers is a neverending nitpicking of trivial things that don’t affect their mutuel prices. You could, after all, not bet the race if it’s visually unappealing
Old 03-15-2021, 12:56 AM   #9
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
No, it’s like saying that if you’re so interested in a bet, pay attention to where your horse is. One common denominator of American horseplayers is a neverending nitpicking of trivial things that don’t affect their mutuel prices. You could, after all, not bet the race if it’s visually unappealing
Get off my lawn guy. There are no negatives to using different colors, there are using the same colors. If 90% of your customers don't like something, you should probably change it even if you don't agree. I've never heard a single complaint about a track using the standard ones colored by post.
Old 03-15-2021, 01:48 AM   #10
The_Turf_Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Get off my lawn guy. There are no negatives to using different colors, there are using the same colors. If 90% of your customers don't like something, you should probably change it even if you don't agree. I've never heard a single complaint about a track using the standard ones colored by post.
This isn’t a Gran Torino situation. The only people that would complain about are those playing the vertical carnival bets, for which I have no sympathy. The overwhelming amount of money wagered in the mutuels is by people that don’t even watch the race, the saddle cloth color is a non factor
Old 03-15-2021, 09:17 AM   #11
Robert Fischer
clean money

For most of the big fans, the pros, whales, syndicates, connections, etc... I don't think most even realized/focused on it one way or another. This group could identify most of the field without saddleclothes whatsoever, by appearance, silks, running style, and watching the significant contenders

For guys betting multiple tracks who tune in with minutes to post and make a wager, for older long time players whose vision is not as sharp as our younger playing days, or for new and potential-new fans tuning in to bet a stakes being broadcast, it's a bit more difficult to see.
Old 03-15-2021, 10:02 AM   #12
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
It doesn't make your race look "big" when you use monochrome saddlecloths, as Oaklawn did in the Rebel. That might have been true in 1987, but it isn't true now. Even the Kentucky Derby and Breeders' Cup, the biggest races, have used multicolored saddlecloths for years. Why? Because it helps the gamblers identify the horses while watching the race on television or the Internet.
Saturday's Rebel was the final time monochrome saddle towels will be used at Oaklawn. It will be the color coded ones going forward.
Old 03-15-2021, 11:52 AM   #13
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

OP - best game in town!
Old 03-15-2021, 12:13 PM   #14
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
Saturday's Rebel was the final time monochrome saddle towels will be used at Oaklawn. It will be the color coded ones going forward.
That's great news. Kudos to OP management.
Old 03-15-2021, 12:17 PM   #15
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
This isn’t a Gran Torino situation. The only people that would complain about are those playing the vertical carnival bets, for which I have no sympathy. The overwhelming amount of money wagered in the mutuels is by people that don’t even watch the race, the saddle cloth color is a non factor
Come on, you say it isn't that then you go into another get off my lawn spiel about vertical bets. They've been around as long as I've followed the game, early 80s, probably a lot longer.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: