Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-26-2020, 11:57 AM   #16
zico20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Smoke View Post

Nashville is the only one among all them with no graded stakes experience
all of the others have been in G1 races

that might help his odds for anybody who likes him
ML 6/5 - I would guess he won't be odds on

Does anyone really believe Nashville is going to go off the favorite? Well, the guy doing the morning line thinks so, but not me. I see Charlatan close to even money and winning the race!
Old 12-26-2020, 12:38 PM   #17
Secondbest

In a race like this I generally look for a closer. But in this race Nashville and Charlartan are too fast.
Nashville ran. 43/4 107/ 4. Twice. Once an internal split. He does that here I think he wins even if it’s 7.
Either way I’m taking him and Charlatan over Express Train and Thousand words 3,4 / 2,5. Hoping one of them runs out
Secondbest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-26-2020, 07:01 PM   #18
zico20

Many say "Christmas came early" for me it came late. I am absolutely stunned Nashville was the favorite. Charlatan was 2-1 when they went in the gate. Oh well, I was praying for even money, figuring 4-5 would be the final odds.
Old 12-26-2020, 07:39 PM   #19
sammy the sage

Good job...
Old 12-26-2020, 08:13 PM   #20
Secondbest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secondbest View Post
In a race like this I generally look for a closer. But in this race Nashville and Charlartan are too fast.
Nashville ran. 43/4 107/ 4. Twice. Once an internal split. He does that here I think he wins even if it’s 7.
Either way I’m taking him and Charlatan over Express Train and Thousand words 3,4 / 2,5. Hoping one of them runs out
Finally did something right. $42 exacta.
Secondbest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-26-2020, 08:22 PM   #21
dilanesp

Big day for Santa Anita:

dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-27-2020, 08:28 AM   #22
classhandicapper

I'd like to see Gamine vs. Charlatan at 7F.
Old 12-27-2020, 10:33 AM   #23
Andy Asaro

Nashville didn't handle the surface at all. Going from rock hard tight and fast at Keeneland to looser and slower surface at Santa Anita
Andy Asaro is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-27-2020, 11:17 AM   #24
Robert Fischer
clean money

Charlatan ran really well for a racehorse.

It was sporting to ship Nashville in and take a chance. I don't think he ran poorly, necessarily. You had the main rival coming off a layup after some ,'clean-up' type of surgery, and some damage control low-time (so it was a decent spot to try a G1 and learn more about an exciting prospect), but Charlatan did not diminish in form significantly. Any 'questions' on the layoff are probably answered by some minor health tune-ups and an overloaded barn coming into the BC.

Who knows, maybe if the Cox trained Knicks Go and the Baffert trained Charlatan had faced off in the "Ass Fans" , the track would have reached some sort of 'critical mass', 'tipping point'? ...

I can't really say whether Charlatan improved, or simply ran about to form.

I took a small 'flyer' against Nashville in his Saratoga debut, but with this race being only six deep, I stayed out.

Nice call by Zico

One of the recent works on xbtv was pretty impressive for Charlatan. IIRC there were a couple horses finishing their work, at the point of the far turn where BB gallops-out his aces. So Charlatan had to go wider, and he appeared to be flashing some G1 stuff as the video ended. If you're a Charlatan super-fan; dig it up.

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 12-27-2020 at 11:28 AM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-27-2020, 11:20 AM   #25
zico20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
Nashville didn't handle the surface at all. Going from rock hard tight and fast at Keeneland to looser and slower surface at Santa Anita
How is going 43 and 4 to the half equate to not handling the surface. He handled it just fine, he simply isn't that good of a horse.
Old 12-27-2020, 11:33 AM   #26
zico20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
Charlatan ran really well for a racehorse.

It was sporting to ship Nashville in and take a chance. I don't think he ran poorly, necessarily. You had the main rival coming off a layup after some ,'clean-up' type of surgery, and some damage control low-time, but Charlatan did not diminish in form significantly. Any 'questions' on the layoff are probably answered by some minor health tune-ups and an overloaded barn coming into the BC.

Who knows, maybe if the Cox trained Knicks Go and the Baffert trained Charlatan had faced off in the "Ass Fans" , the track would have reached some sort of 'critical mass', 'tipping point'? ...

I can't really say whether Charlatan improved, or simply ran about to form.

I took a small 'flyer' against Nashville in his Saratoga debut, but with this race being only six deep, I stayed out.

Nice call by Zico

One of the recent works on xbtv was pretty impressive for Charlatan. IIRC there were a couple horses finishing their work, at the point of the far turn where BB gallops-out his aces. So Charlatan had to go wider, and he appeared to be flashing some G1 stuff as the video ended. If you're a Charlatan super-fan; dig it up.
Thank you Robert! Baffert said he didn't have Charlatan at 100% for the race. People forget that Charlatan would have gone off the favorite in the Belmont Stakes had he run. It is quite possible that had Charlatan not gotten injured he would have won the Belmont, Haskell, Kentucky Derby, Preakness, and the Breeders Cup. He would be retired right now and Authentic, who wouldn't have won a race since the early spring, would be the one running in the Malibu and at four. We will never know of course. I always thought Charlatan was better than Nadal and Authentic.
Old 12-27-2020, 11:40 AM   #27
dilanesp

Here's the Spanish language announcer Santa Anita hired. This guy is fun to listen to:

Old 12-27-2020, 12:38 PM   #28
GMB@BP

I listened to the guy from NYRA from time to time, I know some Spanish, he was fun to listen to.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-27-2020, 01:03 PM   #29
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
I listened to the guy from NYRA from time to time, I know some Spanish, he was fun to listen to.
These guys are obviously influenced by Spanish language soccer announcing. The style is very dramatic.
Old 12-27-2020, 01:06 PM   #30
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zico20 View Post
Thank you Robert! Baffert said he didn't have Charlatan at 100% for the race. People forget that Charlatan would have gone off the favorite in the Belmont Stakes had he run. It is quite possible that had Charlatan not gotten injured he would have won the Belmont, Haskell, Kentucky Derby, Preakness, and the Breeders Cup. He would be retired right now and Authentic, who wouldn't have won a race since the early spring, would be the one running in the Malibu and at four. We will never know of course. I always thought Charlatan was better than Nadal and Authentic.
...and then Santa came ho-ho-hoing down the chimney!
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: