Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:52 PM   #16
Ocala Mike

Your Experience Betting Horses

I'm 73 years old, and I placed my first bet through my older brother at Jamaica Race Course, 1957. Couldn't get in the track because minors weren't allowed in those days, and I was only 15. The horse was ridden by "Irish" John Ruane, and it won and paid $15.00. Quit for the day, and I've been struggling for 58 years to duplicate that ROI!

I used to watch the races there from my bicycle through the fence gates. Jamaica closed in 1959 when the "Big A" opened.
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2015, 02:00 PM   #17
lamboguy

i can't believe its been this long, i have been a full time horse bettor for about 45 years. i actually had a Chevy dealership before the FTC closed me up and then a national car leasing business before i sold it in the early 80's and i also promoted rock shows and theatre for awhile, and rented out portable dressing rooms in outdoor venues including Belmont Park. other than that i was a pinhooker and a bettor. i did great the times that i spent in the race books in nevada before they went pari mutuel. i did ok with the advent of comingled simulcast for awhile too. i started betting from my house in 2000 and did ok for about 5 years. i only started to consistently lose the last 4 years. for sure the game has fast forwarded to much for my weak brain cells and i probably will never win at it again. i backed way up too, i am now only about $1 million a year player from some very small bets. at this point, i really don't know to much else, so that's why i still go through the motions every single day.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2015, 04:00 PM   #18
arno

I am 63 so you can say I am of average age on this forum.
Started at 17 in 1968.
How many can say their first bet was on a driver born in the 19th century.
Earl Avery was born in 1894.
He won the first race that night and Loosh won the 2nd 3-8 double that paid 83.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:03 PM   #19
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by arno
I am 63 so you can say I am of average age on this forum.
Started at 17 in 1968.
How many can say their first bet was on a driver born in the 19th century.
Earl Avery was born in 1894.
He won the first race that night and Loosh won the 2nd 3-8 double that paid 83.
And yet...you probably don't remember what you had for breakfast yesterday morning.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:57 PM   #20
Inner Dirt

I thought I would at least run into one person who had something in common with me by now. The closest one is the guy who played in the Vegas books before OTB. I usually played Black Jack when I drove the 250 miles to Vegas back then. They didn't book the California harness racing I liked at the time and the odd payout limits were pretty restrictive if you played long shots.
Wonder how long it will take someone to show up that went to Tijuana, Mexico and played at Agua Caliente (Thoroughbred track closed in 1991, still running dogs) they had a lot of simulcasting and you could bet sports, before OTBs hit California.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2015, 05:10 PM   #21
Stoleitbreezing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt
I thought I would at least run into one person who had something in common with me by now. The closest one is the guy who played in the Vegas books before OTB. I usually played Black Jack when I drove the 250 miles to Vegas back then. They didn't book the California harness racing I liked at the time and the odd payout limits were pretty restrictive if you played long shots.
Wonder how long it will take someone to show up that went to Tijuana, Mexico and played at Agua Caliente (Thoroughbred track closed in 1991, still running dogs) they had a lot of simulcasting and you could bet sports, before OTBs hit California.
That's a long drive for sure. Wow.

I complain now because I drive 35 minutes now to get to an OTB since moving to Kenosha Wisconsin last year. lol. I guess I don't realize how difficult it used to be to make a wager.

I'm wondering if there is anyone in there 30s here like me?
Stoleitbreezing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2015, 06:15 PM   #22
thespaah

I really got going when the Meadowlands opened in 1976.
I started going to the Big M when the harness meet opened, I was hooked.
Then that summer I got my first taste of Saratoga.
I've never been a huge winner or loser at the track. I learned early that sticking to a budget and managing my money properly was the best way to keep from getting killed even on days when I all I did was toss losing tickets into the trash.
I have never hit a signer. The only time I had one, I got pulled down in a pick 4 at Roosevelt.
Others here have described their style/methods. I am an angles player. I am the person who sees things that other people overlook.
I am usually with others when I go to the track, but my best handicapping is done when I'm solo.
One of my best evenings was during the Thoroughbred meet at Meadowlands.
I was attending classes at Bergen Community College. We got out at 8:30 so i decided to head down the road 15 mins to the track. I walked in with like $25 bucks in my pocket. I was going to bet just a couple races I had looked over earlier in the day.
I walked out with a few hundred. Weird.
Anyway, I'm right in the middle of the demo here at age 54.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2015, 06:41 PM   #23
zico20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoleitbreezing
I like playing this track as it generally plays to my strength which is early speed and it also seems to be one of the most formful tracks i've handicapped. Like the previous poster you can get a lot of value playing the 2nd or 3 favorite. If betting heavy on a 3-1 or 7/2 is your thing, playing Fairmount is a good idea.

I only played this track live a couple of times on my way back from a trip to Churchill downs. Its been a few years since then, but I remember there being bars on the teller windows and the place being sort of a mess. Hopefully that has changed since then. Still a fun time though.
In the grandstand there are still bars on the windows. During live racing the floor is littered with tickets. However, the clubhouse 2nd and 3rd floors do NOT have bars on the teller. But the ironic thing is now you don't have to pay extra to get into the clubhouse. People freely move back and forth.

Fairmount is the most formful track in the country. EMD4ME calls Emerald the most formful. This year I will scrutinize Emerald on a daily basis to check it out.

For a small track there is basically no track bias. All last summer there was only about two days where there was a faster track that really favored speed.

As far as handicapping goes, what I find remarkable is that almost every race every horse is where they should be after the first 1/4. None of this crap like at other tracks where 2 speed horses are figured at 45 flat and one is out there all alone in 46 flat. Fairmount has terrible jockeys, lets be honest, but somehow they pretty much all know where to place a horse at the start of the race.
zico20 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2015, 08:17 PM   #24
tanner12oz

First bet..smarty Jones Belmont loser of course. Had no clue wtf I was doing and think I made like 2 $10 straight tri bets.

first live race...afleet Alex preakness

first big score...blame beating zenyatta
tanner12oz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2015, 08:31 PM   #25
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
I am also 53 years old...and this is the toughest game that I've ever seriously attempted to "master". In order to have a chance at winning, I have to play as perfect a game as I am capable of playing...and I don't want any disturbances around me at any time during my gambling activity. I firmly believe that distractions are the anathema to serious gambling. The way I play, one race can make all the difference...and complete concentration is a must.

If you see a guy with a mountain of losing tickets heaped on his desk, who is constantly whispering into a mini-recorder...then you've spotted me. You are welcomed to come over and say hello...but please don't be offended if I initially appear inhospitable. I am a much friendlier guy in "normal" surroundings.
Do you remember when Tony Calo would say "He's Anti-Social on the front end today" when describing a horse who was committed to the lead and repulsed all pace challenges?

I am the same way as you at the track. I have my tablet out, after the race is over, I am scribbling notes in preparation of watching the replay (pan and head on) and I'm taking notes, ready to be implemented into formulator.

God forbid, someone comes over and wants to have a conversation with me, I'd ignore them 3x until I have to say SHUT UP, IM BUSY LOL.

Here's a long story in reply to your 'distractions'. April 19, 2010. I for once decided to play from home as the on track distractors are annoying the Sh@t out of me. I have 18 pick 6 tickets (similar to the way Christ plays) ready. I was singled in the first leg and wanted to see if the horse would take money (Lukewarm ML chalk). 5 min to post. I start punching. At 3 min to post, the doorbell rings. Unbeknownst to me, it's my aunt with a surprise visit. In a 1/2 a second, I already see what would happen if I A)open the door or B) Make her wait. There is no decision. I keep punching, stay focused. She rings the loud bell 50 times. I stay focused. 3 tickets left, half the field loaded. I get the last bet in as the last horse loads.

6 races later, the 18th ticket wins, $52,000 sole winner of pick 6.

Yes, I opened the door but only AFTER the single crossed the wire first.

If I would've taken 2 seconds to think about answering the door, I am $52,000 poorer.

You can not be distracted while playing horses. PERIOD.

Last edited by EMD4ME; 01-20-2015 at 08:33 PM.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2015, 08:32 PM   #26
lamboguy

Quote:

I complain now because I drive 35 minutes now to get to an OTB since moving to Kenosha Wisconsin last year. lol. I guess I don't realize how difficult it used to be to make a wager.

do they still have dog racing in Kenosha?
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2015, 08:46 PM   #27
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:

38 here pal. I started handicapping at 4. Was a math child. Saw a program, did turn times at CT's 4 1/2 F races in 1980. The good old days!
Old 01-20-2015, 08:49 PM   #28
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by zico20
In the grandstand there are still bars on the windows. During live racing the floor is littered with tickets. However, the clubhouse 2nd and 3rd floors do NOT have bars on the teller. But the ironic thing is now you don't have to pay extra to get into the clubhouse. People freely move back and forth.

Fairmount is the most formful track in the country. EMD4ME calls Emerald the most formful. This year I will scrutinize Emerald on a daily basis to check it out.

For a small track there is basically no track bias. All last summer there was only about two days where there was a faster track that really favored speed.

As far as handicapping goes, what I find remarkable is that almost every race every horse is where they should be after the first 1/4. None of this crap like at other tracks where 2 speed horses are figured at 45 flat and one is out there all alone in 46 flat. Fairmount has terrible jockeys, lets be honest, but somehow they pretty much all know where to place a horse at the start of the race.
Hey Zico. I wouldn't mind if FP is the most formful track and EMD is 2nd. I thank you for trying to turn me on to it. We all need bankroll building tracks and I love a small track that is formful.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:05 PM   #29
River11
Murray KY

Quote:
Originally Posted by zico20
Fairmount has terrible jockeys, lets be honest, but somehow they pretty much all know where to place a horse at the start of the race.
Guess the days of David Gall, Ray Landing and Emide Hinohosa are long gone.
In the 70's I was a regular at Cahokia Downs a track about 10 miles from Fairmont, it was a 3/4 mile track and love playing it.
River11 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2015, 09:10 PM   #30
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by River11
Guess the days of David Gall, Ray Landing and Emide Hinohosa are long gone.
In the 70's I was a regular at Cahokia Downs a track about 10 miles from Fairmont, it was a 3/4 mile track and love playing it.
Tom Durkin started there!!!!!!!!