Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Poker

Old 11-05-2019, 10:40 PM   #76
Track Collector
Grinding at a Poker Table

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor Ekman View Post
So a quick update on my recent outings, I got an unexpected opportunity to play the Sunday over Columbus Day weekend, started out tight and played aggressively and worked up a nice plus $200 margin a couple times but got too loose about starting hands and also position play, wound up in some bad spots betting too aggressively and twice frittered away my winnings and ended the day minus $40. Lesson learned. Played yesterday and stayed focused on starting hand selection and position play and also exercised better pot control when I was unsure of things, plus had the good fortune of what seemed a very soft table compared to my previous outings including one particularly loose bad player who dropped close to $1,000. Bottom line, I played 6 hours yesterday and left the table up $630 profit for the day. I still feel a bit jittery when first sitting down at the table but I'm learning to settle in and settle down to play a tight aggressive game. Lots of fun.
Hope success keeps coming your way!

Your nerves when first sitting down should lessen the more you play.

I think you hit the nail on the head in that troubles happen more frequently when we play weaker starting hands and ignore the problems one encounters when playing out of position.
Track Collector is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2019, 11:32 PM   #77
Track Collector

A few weeks ago I had my best total winnings ever for a playing session.

It can be interesting how many different things contribute to a given playing session, and I would like to share three particular hands. I am not sure if I remember all the exact details, but I think the reader will get the points.

Hand 1:
I have pocket Queens in position and raise pre-flop. The flop comes up something like 2 8 J rainbow. I bet and get called by the only player left in the hand. The turn is a 3 and I bet after the villain checks. I get check-raised all in, and although I know I am behind and probably should not call, I don't have very many chips left so I call. The river is a Queen and I beat my opponent's pocket Eights. So instead of being down a $200 buy-in early in the session and having to claw my way back up, a very fortunate low probability 2-outer puts me up a buy-in.

Hand 2:
I have KJ offsuit in middle position. There is a $4 straddle (UTG) which 2 players ahead of me call and I call as well. A player after me raises to $11 after which 2 other players call. I decide to fold.

The flop comes K J J. (Boo!)
The turn is a 10 (with no possible flush)
The river is a Q. Now one of the earlier players bets (likely having a straight). In hindsight I would have then jammed all-in with the rest of my $350 bankroll, and maybe even gotten called by a straight thinking we might be chopping.
The player who originally raised to $11 turned over pocket Queens. (Yay for folding!). While I may have been able to push them out with aggressive betting before the river, my hand is usually very strong and a winning one, so I want as many people to stay in the hand as possible to get paid off.

Hand 3:
I have KT suited hearts and limp in for $2. The flop comes AQJ of hearts!!!
One guy bets $5 and I call. He checks twice and I bet $10 on the river, and he folds. The poker room at Charles Town always has a Royal Flush promotion, which I was eligible for because I met the required conditions. (Both hole cards have to play, $10 in the pot, 5 players dealt in the hand, and player must be swiped in with their player card.). Because I flopped the Royal, I was paid $500. If the player gets their Royal on the turn or river, they get $250.

While I had some other very nice winning hands along the way, this playing session was impacted significantly by winning a nice pot hitting a low probability river out, folding in a hand early where I most certainly would have ended up down 2 buy-ins, and luckily hitting an extremely rare high hand promotion. (I have a picture on my phone which I may post if I figure out how to transfer it.).
Old 11-06-2019, 01:48 PM   #78
Tor Ekman

Great post TC. KJo has gotten me in trouble when I've decided to play it, especially out of position, like a landmine just waiting to get stepped on . . . BOOM!!!
Tor Ekman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2019, 01:14 PM   #79
Tor Ekman

Question (for anyone who cares to chime in): Do you straddle, and if so, why?
Old 11-07-2019, 01:51 PM   #80
barn32
tmrpots

Quote:
Question (for anyone who cares to chime in): Do you straddle, and if so, why?
I don't straddle, but it doesn't hurt the game. If I did straddle it would only be on the button, if allowed. (For obvious reasons.)

Straddles come in all shapes and sizes. Straddle structure varies depending on where you play in Vegas. Some places play that if the button straddles then the small blind is first to act. I don't like that at all. Normally, the straddle is last to act unless there is a raise.

At Planet Hollywood if you straddle in position it's $5 ($1-2 game), anywhere out of position is $20 and a button straddle is $10. And they do it!

If the person to your left is constantly straddling you should change seats. If the person on your right is button straddling that's not too bad when you're in the small blind.

A straddle is just another ante (or blind). If you want to put more money in the pot without looking at your cards, fine, go ahead. Like I said, it doesn't hurt the game.

I remember a game in Mississippi. It was $100-200 pot-limit-Omaha with a mandatory $400 button straddle. Needless to say a huge game. I didn't play it, but I saw some 80K pots in that game.

Last edited by barn32; 11-07-2019 at 01:52 PM.
barn32 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2019, 04:53 PM   #81
Tor Ekman

At Resorts Catskills, you can only straddle in UTG position, so I don't get why anyone chooses to straddle in that position other than just wanting action.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:12 PM   #82
barn32
tmrpots

Quote:
At Resorts Catskills, you can only straddle in UTG position, so I don't get why anyone chooses to straddle in that position other than just wanting action.
Who's more likely to give you action when you have a big hand? Someone who straddles or someone who plays like you?

Sometimes a few well-placed straddles are all that's needed to kick-start a game.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:39 PM   #83
Tor Ekman

Quote:
Originally Posted by barn32 View Post
Who's more likely to give you action when you have a big hand? Someone who straddles or someone who plays like you?

Sometimes a few well-placed straddles are all that's needed to kick-start a game.
So a tight player such as myself might deploy a few strategic straddles as a "red-herring" to present a looser table image?
Old 11-07-2019, 07:58 PM   #84
Tor Ekman

Here’s another question: Do you NEVER or sometimes show when you don’t have to?
Old 11-07-2019, 09:28 PM   #85
Track Collector

Quote:
Charles Town is another poker room that only allows straddles UTG.

Doing so UTG is just plan dumb IMO. Yes it might "stimulate" more action, but just think about it. The Big Blind and the Small blind positions (under relatively equal conditions, that is, skill level) have been shown in databases to lose money. Why, because one is forced to bet money before considering their hand. And, after the flop, you are in the worst position(s). In UTG, now you are putting even more money than is required by the Big Blind.

I have never straddled even once when playing poker.

Perhaps button straddles (where allowed) might be ok once and a while, but IMO one would still need a significant skill advantage to make that work.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:57 PM   #86
Track Collector

Quote:
I never show unless I have to. Perhaps 98% of the games I am in my opponents are not good enough to benefit from that info, but what harm/benefit is there to not show? My occasional bluffs are going to get caught from time to time anyway, in which case my value bets are going to get called more often and make more money.
Old 11-07-2019, 11:21 PM   #87
barn32
tmrpots

Quote:
So a tight player such as myself might deploy a few strategic straddles as a "red-herring" to present a looser table image?
Sure, why not. I would tend to do something like that more often when I'm big winner, or once in a while when I'm losing to make people think I'm on tilt and desperate to get even. Just don't get carried away. Treat it as another blind and play accordingly.

But what I would rather do instead when I have position is to raise three limpers with T-2 off and when they all fold turn over my hand and say "Yay! Doyle Brunson." You do that a couple of times and get away with it and they're going to start looking at you funny. Of course, you have to pick your spots and be careful if you get called. And in a really tight game, it doesn't work quite as well, because you're just not going to impress the rocks, but in a loose game with bad players, it can do wonders to get a future hand paid off.

Quote:
I show the T-2, Q-3, J-4, and 9-3 plays whenever I decide to make them, and once in a while, I show the nuts just to let people know I'm not getting out of line all the time. It helps with future bluffs.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:49 AM   #88
Tor Ekman

Thanks to both of you for the replies.

Has anyone played at MGM Springfield, Mass? The drive there is only 20 minutes more for me than going to Resorts Catskills so I'm thinking of going there for my next outing, but not sure I want to play with a bunch of Massholes
Old 01-05-2020, 01:01 PM   #89
proximity

change is the only constant.....

halfway to the racino I stop at a denny's to grab a grand slam breakfast and some coffee. i'm trying to remember my starting hand chart as a baby at the next table screams in my ear. this is about the highlight of the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by proximity View Post
in a tradition that may need to change I once again brave a route 81 denny's that's about halfway between "Hollywood" empires pen and ct. for about a minute I get to savor my grand slam breakfast (although i'm STILL waiting for the coffee I ordered to wash it down) when what looks to be the honey boo boo family reunion is given the booths and tables right next to me in an otherwise empty restaurant.
one final trip to charles town races and slots to celebrate new year's eve. I take my girlfriend and only play slots, so I finish the campaign with $60 of losses and a very uninspiring 2-2 record.

I do take a couple laps around the poker room but don't see any sign of track collector? at last report though, he was doing great and I hope he finished the season well. he is a damn good man.

trying to get a jump start on my resolution to be nominated for 2020 world boyfriend of the year I opt to bypass the Hilton garden's fare and instead stop at our old friend the chambersburg (pa) denny's!!

but the denny's is closed.....permanently!

a painted wooden sign says that a new Japanese restaurant (sakura?) will be coming soon, but it won't be the same.

I guess change really is the only constant?

good luck in 2020!!

game: none
season: -60(2-2)
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-10-2020, 12:27 AM   #90
Track Collector

Yes, 2019 was a record year for me!

I have purposefully omitted the details for fear that it will come across as unwanted boasting.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: