Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Trading The Financial Markets

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.11 average.
Old 08-07-2023, 05:49 PM   #4681
myohmyjustify

Buffett and BRK hold about $147 billion in cold, hard cash, sitting there ready to be deployed. I have two suggestions, Warren, if you're a PA member. lol

First, I'd love to see him help work a deal between Apple and Paramount Global. Apple is another behemoth with a mile-high mountain of cash and Paramount has valuable media assets that Apple could monetize thru both their streaming service and the IPhone/IPad business.

Second, Buffett taking Daily Journal Corp. private will be the cherry on the cake for Charlie Munger as he approaches 100, ending a remarkable career. Why the stock popped today I do not know.Maybe something IS up ...

Full disclosure: I have been a decades-long investor in the three stocks I mentioned above. If nothing happens along these lines is OK with me.

Never tried buying shares in Berkshire, it was always "too expensive" for my taste and pocket book. LOL
myohmyjustify is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2023, 07:01 PM   #4682
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by myohmyjustify View Post
Never tried buying shares in Berkshire, it was always "too expensive" for my taste and pocket book. LOL
No dividends....Not even the cheaper "B" stock.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2023, 10:06 AM   #4683
Half Smoke

interesting article analyzing how professional traders have fared compared to the S&P over the last 30 years

from the article:

"The figures tell a remarkable story. Over the full period, just 2% of actively managed Large-Cap Core funds beat the S&P 500. Even in categories such as small- and mid-sized stocks, and growth — which benefited from the tailwinds of an outperforming universe — a minimum of 81% of actively managed funds underperformed the benchmark. Overall, across all categories, 90% of actively managed funds underperformed the S&P 500."

https://www.evidenceinvestor.com/jus...he%20benchmark.

Old 08-22-2023, 12:46 PM   #4684
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Smoke View Post

interesting article analyzing how professional traders have fared compared to the S&P over the last 30 years

from the article:

"The figures tell a remarkable story. Over the full period, just 2% of actively managed Large-Cap Core funds beat the S&P 500. Even in categories such as small- and mid-sized stocks, and growth — which benefited from the tailwinds of an outperforming universe — a minimum of 81% of actively managed funds underperformed the benchmark. Overall, across all categories, 90% of actively managed funds underperformed the S&P 500."

https://www.evidenceinvestor.com/jus...he%20benchmark.

All these "money managers" are right on par with used car salesmen.

I mean, they'll probably do better than the average person would do themselves, but that's not saying much.

You're paying for not much in the end...
Old 08-22-2023, 01:24 PM   #4685
Bustin Stones

Not sure if this topic made this board, but Michael Burry has taken a very large position to sell the market. Burry is the guy who called the real estate crash correctly and made a bundle for himself and his investors.
Bustin Stones is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2023, 05:22 PM   #4686
tbwinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustin Stones View Post
Not sure if this topic made this board, but Michael Burry has taken a very large position to sell the market. Burry is the guy who called the real estate crash correctly and made a bundle for himself and his investors.
He's also been wrong in countless other "calls" and "predictions"

But on that note...those articles and news on his position is some of the biggest BULLSHIT CLICKBAIT ever.

They are reporting he has $1 billion+ positions in them. It's WRONG, they are reporting the notional value of the options contracts aka the underlaying value of all the shares. The other articles calling this out say he likely has $40-60 million in options plays against SPY and QQQ. Yes, a big position, but the media is flat out wrong reporting he has BILLIONS against the market.

God I hate the media.
tbwinner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2023, 08:15 PM   #4687
Bustin Stones

What gives pause is that Burry is taking this strong position at the same time that Buffett is converting large portions of his portfolio to cash. Buffett is not known as a market timer, but the markets at 1.7 times book value, he must believe that having extra cash to use at the bottom will pay dividends in the future. These guys are playing 3 dimensional chess and when they align it's worth taking note.
Bustin Stones is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2023, 08:44 PM   #4688
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

The plunge protection team won't allow a huge market crash before the election...black budgets aren't just for secret military projects you know...
Old 09-26-2023, 03:15 AM   #4689
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

S&P futures down 32+ points right now overnight...I wonder why...CNBC hasn't picked up on it yet...lol
Old 09-26-2023, 03:14 PM   #4690
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
S&P futures down 32+ points right now overnight...I wonder why...CNBC hasn't picked up on it yet...lol
it's funny...it was down 30+ this morning right before the 10am news...and then it went down another 10 points...and all CNBC could say is the market is down 40 points because of economic data...that came out at 10am...what was causing it to be down 30+ points before that, Mr. CNBC?

Now it's down almost 70 points...

Don't look now, but VIX is actually poised to break above 20?

Haven't seen that number since May...will be interesting to see if it can go any higher than that for any meaningful length of time.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 09-26-2023 at 03:17 PM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-26-2023, 03:29 PM   #4691
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

4200-4180 next stop on S&P
Old 10-06-2023, 09:36 AM   #4692
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

today's jobs report dropped S&P futures nearly 50 points in 5 minutes...

it made 30 points back over the next hour but is turning back down again...might be an interesting Friday

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 10-06-2023 at 09:38 AM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-06-2023, 11:48 AM   #4693
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

You gotta love markets...now it's up 30 points overall...

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: