Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

View Poll Results: Who wins HOY? Accelerate or Justify?
Accelerate wins HOY 119 42.35%
Justify wins HOY 162 57.65%
Voters: 281. This poll is closed

Old 12-19-2018, 04:24 PM   #286
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
They should change the spacing for the Belmont to 2 weeks and make it 2 miles. It's too easy now.

HAHA!! 5 years ago we want the races all shortened up and spaced differently and anything else we can think of to make THE SERIES AS CHEAP AS POSSIBLE, but then a horse comes along and does what only one other horse in the past 40 YEARS has done, and done it in a way that no other horse in 140 YEARS HAS DONE IT, a horse that 3 months previously had never gotten a whiff of the starter's pistol, and, no, no more cheapen the series, no, no, it doesn't take an exceptional horse to accomplish what we got now.

I couldn't give a rat's a$$ who wins HOTY, but this has gotten to the point of nonsense now.

EDIT: Tarnished. This animal has TARNISHED the Triple Crown.

I know I'm tweaking out, and I apologize, but ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT2: Somebody, anybody. If you have an outstanding 3yo, and you don't want to dodge anybody that could possibly beat you, of course, the first place you'd go is to all those tomato can races they have in the spring at CD, Pimlico, and Belmont. I mean, let's avoid the real horses at, I don't know, where?? Ahhh, Emerald Downs. UMM, is there something running in New Mexico?

AVOIDING ANYWHERE HE COULD GET BEAT!!!!!! REALLY!!!!!!!

Last edited by ultracapper; 12-19-2018 at 04:35 PM.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-19-2018, 04:28 PM   #287
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
Undefeated Triple Crown Winner----Justify

Why is this thread still open?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper View Post
HAHA!! 5 years ago we want the races all shortened up and spaced differently and anything else we can think of to make THE SERIES AS CHEAP AS POSSIBLE, but then a horse comes along and does what only one other horse in the past 40 YEARS has done, and done it in a way that no other horse in 140 YEARS HAS DONE IT, a horse that 3 months previously had never gotten a whiff of the starter's pistol, and, no, no more cheapen the series, no, no, it doesn't take an exceptional horse to accomplish what we got now.

I couldn't give a rat's a$$ who wins HOTY, but this has gotten to the point of nonsense now.
Need anyone say another word on this topic?.....It's all been said, ad nauseum.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-19-2018, 04:49 PM   #288
ultracapper

I guess the debate as to who should win HOTY is legit, but saying anything you can possibly think of in order to make your case, I mean, beating up on a TC winner any angle you can find to make your case for another horse, is the nonsense of this whole thing. If you're backing Accelerate, cool, but does that mean Justify has to be trivialized to do it. We see seasons like Accelerate's 5 or 6 times a decade, those like Justify's much more seldom. Doesn't mean Accelerate isn't worthy, but let's keep the discussion real anyway.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:08 PM   #289
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb View Post
I'm going with Accelerate. Won 4 of 5 unrestricted stakes races this year.
Look everybody, this is the way you do it.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:16 PM   #290
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Something that wasn't accomplished for 30whatever years (many tried, but none succeeded) and now it doesn't take anything special to get it done.

I wanted to type more, but I just don't know what to say.

Edit: Was every previous winner exceptional? Some TC winners were better than others. Everybody is good with that.

Again, I'm stuck. I want to type more, but I'm just kind of like.........WHAT!!!

Edit2: Tarnished? Really? 35 years or whatever it was, and now, tarnished? Really?
If you admit that they're not all that special, then what's the issue with realizing that this horse wasn't all that special?
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-19-2018, 05:21 PM   #291
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Edit3: The KD was this horse's 4th race in like 9 weeks. I mean, what Gr1 level horse does that anymore? The freaking animal is quite exceptional when you're not arguing an agenda.

Any horse who runs in all three of the races has run 4 in 9 weeks.

One thing that all observers may want to note is that Baffert has said many times that a lot of this is having a good horse in top form at this very time, and that the closeness of the races actually helps them maintain that form over what is termed the TC. So maybe it'd be harder to accomplish if it was run one race a month. This said, it may help their form and to run well in all 3 races, but I'm not saying that the horses don't emerge from running in all 3 tired, as they are.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-19-2018, 05:23 PM   #292
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
If you admit that they're not all that special, then what's the issue with realizing that this horse wasn't all that special?
My personal opinion is that any horse that wins the TC is very special. Exceptional? Close, but if not, still VERY special, NO DOUBT ABOUT IT. No question some TC winners were better than others. I agree with you that Baffert's previous one was better than this one.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:27 PM   #293
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
Any horse who runs in all three of the races has run 4 in 9 weeks.

One thing that all observers may want to note is that Baffert has said many times that a lot of this is having a good horse in top form at this very time, and that the closeness of the races actually helps them maintain that form over what is termed the TC. So maybe it'd be harder to accomplish if it was run one race a month. This said, it may help their form and to run well in all 3 races, but I'm not saying that the horses don't emerge from running in all 3 tired, as they are.
Big difference between running 4 in 9 weeks, and winning 4 in 9 weeks. Any 2-bit claimer can run 4 in 9 weeks.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:26 PM   #294
open_question

Thing is, Justify wouldn’t be the leading contender for HOY except for the TC, and he wouldn’t have the TC except for winning the Belmont, and his Belmont win was off-putting because, reasons.

No Foul, but Plenty of Harm: Sorting Out the 2018 Belmont Stakes

It’s no wonder that a significant number of fans don’t want to reward this particular TC winner with HOY, especially when there’s an outstanding alternative candidate in Accelerate.

Jmho
Old 12-19-2018, 09:32 PM   #295
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by open_question View Post
It’s no wonder that a significant number of fans don’t want to reward this particular TC winner with HOY, especially when there’s an outstanding alternative candidate in Accelerate.

Jmho
Good thing Accelerate is up against Justify in 2018....If it's 2017, he'd have NO chance against Gun Runner....Just sayin', as he's got no chance this year either....NO versus no.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:44 PM   #296
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by open_question View Post
Thing is, Justify wouldn’t be the leading contender for HOY except for the TC, and he wouldn’t have the TC except for winning the Belmont, and his Belmont win was off-putting because, reasons.

No Foul, but Plenty of Harm: Sorting Out the 2018 Belmont Stakes

Jmho
As the linked article says, the conclusion of the NYRA stewards was that no disciplinary action need be taken.

As for hypotheticals, I'm not really convinced things would have turned out different had Noble Indy been sent to the lead. Noble Indy was in the Kentucky Derby after a front-running score in the Louisiana Derby but couldn't get close to Justify as he dueled with top class sprinter Promises Fulfilled early.

Justify also locked horns early with juvenile champion and subsequent Haskell winner Good Magic in the Preakness, put him away, and was able to hold sway.

So Justify was able to go toe-to-toe with two Grade 1, Eclipse-caliber colts from the bell in two separate classics two weeks apart, but Noble Indy was the one that would have exposed him for the "unexceptionable" specimen that he really was?

The perceived nefarious circumstances surrounding the Belmont might put a blight on the connections of the horse--and in that case one need not support the trainer nor the owner for a year-end Eclipse Award-- but Justify won the Triple Crown and there's no two ways around it.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-19-2018, 09:56 PM   #297
dilanesp

Quote:
Edit3: The KD was this horse's 4th race in like 9 weeks. I mean, what Gr1 level horse does that anymore? The freaking animal is quite exceptional when you're not arguing an agenda.
He can be exceptional and not be horse of the year.

If a baseball player hits 22 home runs in April amd then gets hurt and misses the rest of the year, is he MVP?
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-19-2018, 10:01 PM   #298
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post

If a baseball player hits 22 home runs in April amd then gets hurt and misses the rest of the year, is he MVP?
this is like hitting 40 in april, not 22. also, 6 starts versus 7 hardly equates to 200 at bats versus 600.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-19-2018, 10:11 PM   #299
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post

You having fun Dilan?...
Old 12-19-2018, 11:53 PM   #300
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
this is like hitting 40 in april, not 22. also, 6 starts versus 7 hardly equates to 200 at bats versus 600.
So now we are counting maiden special weights and nonwinners of 2 for horse of the year?
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: