Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 02-01-2023, 08:40 AM   #1
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Oh no!...Tom Brady retired again...lol

This time...FOR GOOD...or so he says

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/tom-b...-retiring-good

Old 02-01-2023, 09:25 AM   #2
lamboguy

i was hoping that he was going to the Raiders
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-01-2023, 10:12 AM   #3
Inner Dirt

He still was a well above average QB this season, his supporting cast went down hill.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-01-2023, 11:51 AM   #4
Bustin Stones

Our family has gathered and celebrated the retiring of Brady for decades. We prepare special foods and exchange gifts. And we look forward to celebrating again next year.
Bustin Stones is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-01-2023, 04:44 PM   #5
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustin Stones View Post
Our family has gathered and celebrated the retiring of Brady for decades. We prepare special foods and exchange gifts. And we look forward to celebrating again next year.

Did your family do the same for Brett Favre?
Old 02-02-2023, 09:32 AM   #6
burnsy
self medicated

He was ok this year. But he should have stayed retired the first time . Once you lose your legs in this kind of football . The way it’s played today , it’s a rough go. I kind of think Aaron Rodgers is experiencing the same thing . You have to be mobile now . Shift to the right or left and if nothings there ………. Time to run for it. All the best Qb’s can do this now . It’s just the style of success today . The second highest paid guys are on the defensive line for a reason . They actually look for and recruit these fast, big and strong guys to basically be assassins. And they’re hunting Qb’s . Right now that’s the trump card that wins games and championships. Last week Burrow was under the heat constantly. For all the Joe Cool talk he got schooled . Same thing happened to him vs the Rams in the SB . Poor Brock Purdy didn’t last a quarter last week . That was the difference in both those games. I thought Brady was gone last year after he got a good dose of Darnald and Von Miller. Brady has to be on a team with a great offensive line or he’s cooked . If Mahomes doesn’t heal up in the two weeks . You gotta love the Eagles chances. KC has bolstered their line but even healthy Mahomes may be getting chased. That’s how they got their asses kicked a couple years ago. This kind of defense is why the NFC has been successful . This causes sacks , injuries, interceptions and fumbles. People think Brady is Superman . Reality check…. He’s a 45 year old man getting hunted by young freaks of nature .

Last edited by burnsy; 02-02-2023 at 09:42 AM.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-02-2023, 10:49 AM   #7
Bustin Stones

Agreed. Once a qb reaches a given level of efficiency it's really about the quality and depth of the supporting cast. Brady was no better than, say, Dan Marino. Brady has had better coaching and players around him. I do not disparage Brady, but he also isn't the idol many make him to be.
Old 02-02-2023, 02:58 PM   #8
Inner Dirt

Brady never had legs to begin with, but was good moving around in confined spaces, gets through his reads quickly, and has a quick release. He was also excellent at pre snap reads, without his quick thinking and smarts he would have been a 3rd stringer.
Old 02-02-2023, 03:02 PM   #9
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Agreed. Once a qb reaches a given level of efficiency it's really about the quality and depth of the supporting cast. Brady was no better than, say, Dan Marino. Brady has had better coaching and players around him. I do not disparage Brady, but he also isn't the idol many make him to be.

I think Fouts can top Marino for the Hall of Fame QB stuck with a lousy supporting cast. If my memory serves me correctly Fouts only won half the games he started, due to the Chargers never having a decent defense.
Old 02-02-2023, 03:39 PM   #10
Bustin Stones

I followed the Browns most closely since the 1950's, but the qb I most admired was John Unitas with the Colts. There have been better slingers, but I never saw anyone will his team downfield better. When they say field general, that's who I think of.
Old 02-02-2023, 03:48 PM   #11
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Brady never had legs to begin with, but was good moving around in confined spaces, gets through his reads quickly, and has a quick release. He was also excellent at pre snap reads, without his quick thinking and smarts he would have been a 3rd stringer.
Yeah and Tampa Bay scored like 17 points a game this year . They struggled against some bad teams . Brady had numerous picks and fumbles at the worst time . I watched most of their games . He has no legs so he releases the ball fast not to get hit. So fast , no one is 20 yards down the field . It was big news when he hit a long pass when the season was almost over . These young guys hit multiple chunk passes every week. It’s not just that he can’t move , he knows he can’t afford to get hit , so yeah , the ball has to come out fast . Plus, it’s only been the last few years where everyone moves around . The pocket Qb is becoming a rare deal . His time is up , the game has moved on too. It’s not 10 years ago , these guys don’t even play that style . Anyone that couldn’t see he was struggling this year is just not in reality . He knows it himself , I believe he’s really gone this time . All the crap this year took its toll on him . Playing in the NFL at age 45 is recipe for disaster . Sorry , that just life . He’d have to be on the better teams anyway. All those teams have a QB thats better than he is .
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-02-2023, 04:30 PM   #12
Inner Dirt

Quote:
I followed the Browns most closely since the 1950's, but the qb I most admired was John Unitas with the Colts. There have been better slingers, but I never saw anyone will his team downfield better. When they say field general, that's who I think of.

I was born in 1961 and started following MLB at 5 and the NFL at 6 so Unitas was already on the downhill by the time I was watching NFL. 1973 was a sad year for two guys who hung on too long, Unitas and Willie Mays.
Old 02-04-2023, 09:29 AM   #13
PalaceOfFortLarned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
I think Fouts can top Marino for the Hall of Fame QB stuck with a lousy supporting cast. If my memory serves me correctly Fouts only won half the games he started, due to the Chargers never having a decent defense.
Still my favorite game of all time to date was when the Chargers and Dolphins met in the playoffs in 1982. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_in_Miami

The Chargers were absolutely loaded on offense with Dan Fouts at QB in the Air Coryell offense with Charlie Joiner, Wes Chandler, John Jefferson at WR, one of the greatest TEs of all-time in Kellen Winslow and the extremely underrated Chuck Muncie at RB.
PalaceOfFortLarned is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-04-2023, 11:18 AM   #14
Bustin Stones

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceOfFortLarned View Post
Still my favorite game of all time to date was when the Chargers and Dolphins met in the playoffs in 1982. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_in_Miami

The Chargers were absolutely loaded on offense with Dan Fouts at QB in the Air Coryell offense with Charlie Joiner, Wes Chandler, John Jefferson at WR, one of the greatest TEs of all-time in Kellen Winslow and the extremely underrated Chuck Muncie at RB.
What I remember most vividly was Kellen Winslow's "James Brown routine". He kept being helped off the field injured and then he'd come back and make a huge play later. I don't remember how many times he did this. It was both heroic and comical.
Old 02-04-2023, 12:23 PM   #15
Inner Dirt

Quote:
What I remember most vividly was Kellen Winslow's "James Brown routine". He kept being helped off the field injured and then he'd come back and make a huge play later. I don't remember how many times he did this. It was both heroic and comical.

Didn't he totally collapse after the game was over? Just think if Fouts had a defense behind him and Marino a running game. I remember when Marino's Dolphins lost to the 49ers in the Super Bowl in his 2nd season, everybody thought he would soon win one, and he never got back to the big game.