Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:41 PM   #166
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofless_Wonder
I'm not sure if you're trying to impress us with your theoretical knowledge of programming or if you're trying to make some other point, but how are any of these questions relevant to the thread topic of "Why Learn Basic Programming Skills?
75% of the posts here have had nothing to do with the thread topic as I understood it. Same kind of the thing happened in Pandy's new book thread. It's a bad trend.
headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2014, 07:48 AM   #167
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg
75% of the posts here have had nothing to do with the thread topic as I understood it. Same kind of the thing happened in Pandy's new book thread. It's a bad trend.
See #159.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:43 AM   #168
traynor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJofSD
See #159.
Swift looks like the perfect choice for a first language (or second or tenth). The tutorials are great! I almost wish I used Apple. Thanks for posting the link.
traynor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2014, 08:47 AM   #169
DJofSD
Screw PC

Swift is a moving target -- Apple has not yet completely nailed down all aspects of the language. However, as far as a beginner is concerned, those essential aspects of learning the language are there and will not be changing.

I'm sure at some point, those whom learn Swift will look back at Objective C and say 'yuck!'
Old 11-14-2014, 03:14 PM   #170
traynor

And speaking of business models:
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-30059820

"Competition" from open-source does not seem to be much of a concern to Microsoft. $410 billion is a very large sum. Even for the 800 pound gorilla.

Rather than criticizing Microsoft's business model, it might be well to emulate it. They seem to have it down pat.

Last edited by traynor; 11-14-2014 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:08 AM   #171
badcompany

I found this book in the basement of my building. Is there anything in there that is still relevant, today?

― Thomas Sowell
badcompany is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-15-2014, 10:45 AM   #172
DJofSD
Screw PC

Read the review section here: http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Exce.../dp/0764532634
Old 11-15-2014, 11:39 AM   #173
badcompany

Quote:
Pretty impressive reviews, and the few bad ones seem like they were from whiners who are never happy with anything.

― Thomas Sowell
Old 11-15-2014, 12:13 PM   #174
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by badcompany
Pretty impressive reviews, and the few bad ones seem like they were from whiners who are never happy with anything.
That's true -- some are never satisfied.

So, depending upon what your present needs are that book could be just right. An intro to a back level version of Excel will get you started.

But if you are looking for more of a general introduction to modern app development, you would be better served to find something else.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:16 PM   #175
badcompany

Quote:
That's true -- some are never satisfied.

So, depending upon what your present needs are that book could be just right. An intro to a back level version of Excel will get you started.

But if you are looking for more of a general introduction to modern app development, you would be better served to find something else.
I actually have a lot of experience working with spreadsheets for basic functions, primarily adding up rows and columns of numbers, but I never did any programming with them.

What exactly would a spreadsheet program do?

― Thomas Sowell
Old 11-15-2014, 07:52 PM   #176
traynor

Quote:
I actually have a lot of experience working with spreadsheets for basic functions, primarily adding up rows and columns of numbers, but I never did any programming with them.

What exactly would a spreadsheet program do?
It depends what you use it for. Spreadsheets can do a lot, if beefed up with macros and VBA. The problem is that once you get beyond the basic functions, increased effort is needed to "do stuff." The more complex the stuff, the greater the effort required. Same is true of databases. Yes, they do a lot of stuff--provided a lot of effort is put into the planning, design, and coding of the stuff.

The spreadsheet and database advocates are good examples of the sunk cost fallacy--by the time they realize they would have been better off to have started coding a dedicated app from scratch, they have too much time and effort invested to let it go.

It is strictly my own peculiar use (primarily horse race analysis), but I have never seen anything persuasive about using a spreadsheet or database in preference to a dedicated application. It is not unfamiliarity. I have extensive experience with both spreadsheets and databases. I just don't think they are appropriate for race analysis or race modeling, other than acting as storage containers for data.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:03 PM   #177
MJC922

Quote:
I found this book in the basement of my building. Is there anything in there that is still relevant, today?
Still somewhat relevant, VBA probably hasn't changed much since then, VBA is essentially VB6 for Office apps. Excel has changed a bit, the ribbon UI, there's no longer a 65000 row limit but a million rows and things like that. A book like this which generally started with high marks typically sees a refresh with each new version of Excel and in so doing they will cover any new features and put new screenshots in it to capture the UI changes etc. I probably wouldn't want to get serious about Excel 2007 or newer and then want to spend a lot of time with a book that dated but I still have a lot on my shelf which is nearly as old.
MJC922 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-15-2014, 08:37 PM   #178
MJC922

Quote:
Originally Posted by traynor
And speaking of business models:
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-30059820

"Competition" from open-source does not seem to be much of a concern to Microsoft. $410 billion is a very large sum. Even for the 800 pound gorilla.

Rather than criticizing Microsoft's business model, it might be well to emulate it. They seem to have it down pat.
I agree open-source is nice but once you get into doing business with some of the larger global corporations who deal with the government (Fortune 50 etc) they don't even want their devs using open source anything (for legal reasons believe it or not). Where I work I've seen our devs go and do it anyway using an open source db on the back-end but it's frowned upon.
MJC922 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-15-2014, 09:00 PM   #179
traynor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC922
I agree open-source is nice but once you get into doing business with some of the larger global corporations who deal with the government (Fortune 50 etc) they don't even want their devs using open source anything (for legal reasons believe it or not). Where I work I've seen our devs go and do it anyway using an open source db on the back-end but it's frowned upon.
My experience is similar. Open-source is nice in theory, not so good in application.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:30 PM   #180
badcompany

I've decided the language I will learn is Python.

Why?

I recently learned it was named after Monty Python. So, the guy who created it has to have a sense of humor.

― Thomas Sowell