Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 02-28-2016, 01:56 AM   #1
Bigadam119

Mohaymen vs. Nyquist FL Derby

I really hope one of the connections change their mind. These two horses meeting in the FL Derby would take something away from the KY Derby.
Bigadam119 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-28-2016, 06:30 AM   #2
burnsy
self medicated

Disagree, the game has become "ho-hum" because of "avoidance". They really need some real rivalries. It gets people talking and following, coverage and excitement. Other sports "pay" to get "bad blood". What do people want to see? Those two going at it or each jogging in some prep at 1/5 like Mohaymen did yesterday? It would be a great story with some "back and forth". The game needs energy. I would not complain if they faced off many times.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-28-2016, 11:28 PM   #3
SuperPickle

I think it's going to be a moot point. I'd be floored if Redham decided to ship cross country to race a horse like Mohayman who is not only a monster but also 2 for 2 on the track when he can stay in town and be the favorite in the San Anita Derby.
SuperPickle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-29-2016, 02:57 AM   #4
arw629
First Time Gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPickle
I think it's going to be a moot point. I'd be floored if Redham decided to ship cross country to race a horse like Mohayman who is not only a monster but also 2 for 2 on the track when he can stay in town and be the favorite in the San Anita Derby.
I believe there is a million dollar incentive for Nyquist if he wins the Fla Derby. I'm not 100 percent sure about this but if that's the case they have to ship to Florida. I also agree with the comment above and rivalries.
arw629 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-29-2016, 03:18 AM   #5
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPickle
I agree with your post, here's my advice (in a video) for Team Reddam.

[YT=""]qoMyHy-JFFQ[/YT]
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-29-2016, 08:33 AM   #6
Stoleitbreezing

Quote:
Originally Posted by arw629
I believe there is a million dollar incentive for Nyquist if he wins the Fla Derby. I'm not 100 percent sure about this but if that's the case they have to ship to Florida. I also agree with the comment above and rivalries.
The 1 million bonus for winning the FL Derby has been the plan all along for Nyquist. Whether or not it pays off for him going into the derby off a sprint and one 9F prep is another conversation entirely. While Nyquist is fast I'm not so sure Mor Spirit will be easy to fend off in the SA Derby. Mor Spirit while already beaten in his career, hasn't been tested at 3 YO so far and might be the wildcard come derby day if he continues to improve.
Stoleitbreezing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-29-2016, 10:20 PM   #7
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigadam119
I really hope one of the connections change their mind. These two horses meeting in the FL Derby would take something away from the KY Derby.
No, I'd rather see them compete in a five horse field where the best horse wins, rather than a 20-horse stampede where all hell breaks lose and you have to be as lucky as you are good.

It would be a purer test of the athletes.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-29-2016, 11:32 PM   #8
Zaf
Pace Cappa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboard
No, I'd rather see them compete in a five horse field where the best horse wins, rather than a 20-horse stampede where all hell breaks lose and you have to be as lucky as you are good.

Agree

Z
Old 03-01-2016, 06:07 AM   #9
PowerUpPaynter

You will be lucky to get 5 in that race. Anyone who is seriously going into that race to get pts to race in the derby would be foolish to enter.
PowerUpPaynter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-01-2016, 05:04 PM   #10
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy
Disagree, the game has become "ho-hum" because of "avoidance". They really need some real rivalries. It gets people talking and following, coverage and excitement. Other sports "pay" to get "bad blood". What do people want to see? Those two going at it or each jogging in some prep at 1/5 like Mohaymen did yesterday? It would be a great story with some "back and forth". The game needs energy. I would not complain if they faced off many times.
Absolutely. Looking back over the last 3 years of races I was not surprised how little betting opportunities exist in the 3yo stakes division til the Triple Crown starts. We finally get a matchup before May and some don't like it. Unbelievable!
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-01-2016, 05:28 PM   #11
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerUpPaynter
You will be lucky to get 5 in that race. Anyone who is seriously going into that race to get pts to race in the derby would be foolish to enter.
Maybe, but FL Derby usually has a good sized field, everyone would be shocked if five didn’t show up. Last year there were nine, including Upstart and Materiality, who came in off huge last-out beyers. Fifth place is $30k. I’m sure the first three finishers of this race will be back, including another Todd Pletcher entry. Any three year old winning a aln1x or aln2x at Gulfstream over the next two weeks will be tempted.
Will see.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-02-2016, 10:19 PM   #12
señorclipclop

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHorseplayer
Absolutely. Looking back over the last 3 years of races I was not surprised how little betting opportunities exist in the 3yo stakes division til the Triple Crown starts. We finally get a matchup before May and some don't like it. Unbelievable!
The Risen Star and the Blue Grass are usually good betting races, not so much everywhere else.
señorclipclop is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-03-2016, 09:13 AM   #13
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHorseplayer
Oh no! Cincy's back in the house? Batten down the hatches mates - LOL. Just kidding Rod - Welcome Back!!!!

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-03-2016, 12:03 PM   #14
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybo
Oh no! Cincy's back in the house? Batten down the hatches mates - LOL. Just kidding Rod - Welcome Back!!!!
Thanks Ray! Glad to be back and share this Triple Crown chase with the gang.
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-03-2016, 12:49 PM   #15
FrankieFigs
The 19th Hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboard

This

It also adds some drama to the Derby if both make the starting gate in May. Folks love rematches....