Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 07-30-2016, 01:02 PM   #1
traynor

Strange Trend

I have noticed a dramatic increase in a particular event, and I'm curious if it is happening elsewhere (or just in the US upper midwest). I have been approached by (a dramatically increasing number of) people asking for money (usually "a couple of dollars"). On buses. On trains. And most everywhere else.

I am not a recluse, and I like public transportation. My habits have not changed in any significant way, but the above scenario has happened more in the last couple of months than in the last 10 years. In a number of cases, it is framed as a "thinly-veiled demand"--as in, "give me money or else." On several occasions, I have seen people "working" buses and "local transit" trains--and the various stops for those transport modes--moving from person to person as if they were a captive income source.

Oddly, it is also evident in casual encounters that involve (casual) conversations. A comment to another (on public transport, on the street, or other public place) seems to (relatively frequently) elicit a knee-jerk response on the order of "if you want to talk to me, give me money first."

Even more odd, the requests/demands seem repetitious--as if they came from some 2017 social media version of Steal This Book.

I am not especially miserly, but I have little interest in (or patience with) handing out money to people for no good reason. It is not that those requesting seem especially needy--on the contrary, many seem to be "professional beggars" who consider their demands for money a (relatively steady) source of income (and less stressful than explicit mugging or robbery).

Anything like this going on in your part of the planet?
traynor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2016, 01:15 PM   #2
Stoleitbreezing

Quote:
Originally Posted by traynor
I have noticed a dramatic increase in a particular event, and I'm curious if it is happening elsewhere (or just in the US upper midwest). I have been approached by (a dramatically increasing number of) people asking for money (usually "a couple of dollars"). On buses. On trains. And most everywhere else.

I am not a recluse, and I like public transportation. My habits have not changed in any significant way, but the above scenario has happened more in the last couple of months than in the last 10 years. In a number of cases, it is framed as a "thinly-veiled demand"--as in, "give me money or else." On several occasions, I have seen people "working" buses and "local transit" trains--and the various stops for those transport modes--moving from person to person as if they were a captive income source.

Oddly, it is also evident in casual encounters that involve (casual) conversations. A comment to another (on public transport, on the street, or other public place) seems to (relatively frequently) elicit a knee-jerk response on the order of "if you want to talk to me, give me money first."

Even more odd, the requests/demands seem repetitious--as if they came from some 2017 social media version of Steal This Book.

I am not especially miserly, but I have little interest in (or patience with) handing out money to people for no good reason. It is not that those requesting seem especially needy--on the contrary, many seem to be "professional beggars" who consider their demands for money a (relatively steady) source of income (and less stressful than explicit mugging or robbery).

All the time especially in the city. Chicago is especially bad, unless your walking on Michigan Ave "mag mile" where the police are encouraged to prevent this riff raff from taking place.

I would agree that the beggars are more direct and authoritative as if its a "command". In the past it was a down on luck story, now its the "door in face" type approach "give me a couple of bucks" like you've known them forever or actually owe them something. I hate being in the city for this reason. In the suburban areas now some intersections have these people "camped" out with a sign or cup. Some will go to a gas station and will walk pump to pump "demanding" money because they know you can't just drive off. Professional bums or truly needing the help I'm tired of it. There's plenty of agencies out there and charities that are willing to help without us being confronted at a stop light or gas pump with no way to easily drive away or escape.
Stoleitbreezing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2016, 01:25 PM   #3
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by traynor

I live in Massachusetts and this has been common here since the late 80's..The scenario would be, "Oh, I lost my bus ticket and I need to get to Hartford" or whatever city popped in their head (At the time,I was living near the city bus terminal).I mostly refused, except one time when there was nobody else around and five dollars seemed like a reasonable exit fee.When I was teaching school, there was a gas station that I passed by that had cheap gasoline and the hustlers would ask for money."Can you give me a couple of dollars? "My reply was "I was about to ask you the same question".I usually got either quizzical looks or obscenities, although one guy laughed so hard, I gave him a dollar (I appreciate anybody who likes my jokes).
And like you,I agree this is mostly a hustle and with some a thinly veiled threat.
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2016, 01:52 PM   #4
boxcar

Here in Swampland, especially on the Gold Coast during the winter, we have more than our fair share of panhandlers. In my county, the Sheriff's department had even posted signs at major intersections stating that it's perfectly fine to say "no" to panhandlers.

Recently, I've seen some creative panhandlers carrying signs with a short explanation of their hard luck story while also pedaling something, such as bottled water in return for a donation, of course.

Signs of the times as the economy continues worsen...

On a different but related note, I know the times are hard down here because just the other day I stopped in to one of my banks (a major one by the way) to conduct a transaction. I hadn't been in that branch for about 6 months. When I walked in the door I immediately noticed the two customer service desks had no one sitting at them. When I looked in the window of the manager's office, I saw a different person sitting in there than I had seen several months ago. When I reached my teller I inquired about the two fellas who used to occupy the now vacant chairs at those two desks. All she said was, "they're gone". I inquired about the manager -- same thing. "He's gone". Thankfully, all their money wasn't gone, so I was able to complete my transaction.

Signs of the times...
Old 07-30-2016, 02:10 PM   #5
OntheRail

Yep have them here... was at the Gas station other day... guy comes in looks at me and said give me five buck for gas. I looked at him and said you got a fresh pack of smokes in your pocket and your asking me for money for gas. He's I'm addicted to them... you gonna give me five I'm on empty. Nope I said enjoy your smokes.

We also have the deaf guy... but he always has a little something to offer for a donation. I'll slip him a few bucks as he's not offensive to those that say no.
Old 07-30-2016, 02:24 PM   #6
thaskalos

In my entire life, I've never been able to say "no" to a panhandler. The only time that I remember ever turning down a money request from a beggar, I was quickly overcome by remorse...and chased the guy down so I could put a few odd bills in his hand. I never could explain the reason of this seemingly unreasonable behavior of mine.

The most memorable experience of this nature that I could recall took place some years ago...as I was stopped at a red light on a ramp exiting an expressway. Standing by the stoplight right in front of me was a middle-aged woman with a young child. Both of them were unkempt and seemingly exhausted...and the older woman held up a sign which read: "PLEASE HELP US. MY DAUGHTER AND I ARE TRYING TO RAISE MONEY FOR A BUS TICKET BACK TO OUR HOME IN FLORIDA."

I quickly summoned the lady to my car...and asked her how much money she still needed in order to buy the tickets so she and her daughter could get back home. I think she told me that she needed about $70. I handed her a $100 bill...and she looked as if she would faint from the shock. She thanked me profusely...and I drove away.

Alas... about a week later, I happened to drive through another busy intersection a few blocks away from there...and I saw the same lady carrying the same sign, with the exhausted young child still right next to her. The mere thought of this sickens me even now...but I am still unable to turn away panhandlers. "Among all these crooks, there may be a few truly needy people"...I keep telling myself.

In the end...we are who we are...

Last edited by thaskalos; 07-30-2016 at 02:28 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2016, 02:35 PM   #7
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
In my entire life, I've never been able to say "no" to a panhandler. The only time that I remember ever turning down a money request from a beggar, I was quickly overcome by remorse...and chased the guy down so I could put a few odd bills in his hand. I never could explain the reason of this seemingly unreasonable behavior of mine.

The most memorable experience of this nature that I could recall took place some years ago...as I was stopped at a red light on a ramp exiting an expressway. Standing by the stoplight right in front of me was a middle-aged woman with a young child. Both of them were unkempt and seemingly exhausted...and the older woman held up a sign which read: "PLEASE HELP US. MY DAUGHTER AND I ARE TRYING TO RAISE MONEY FOR A BUS TICKET BACK TO OUR HOME IN FLORIDA."

I quickly summoned the lady to my car...and asked her how much money she still needed in order to buy the tickets so she and her daughter could get back home. I think she told me that she needed about $70. I handed her a $100 bill...and she looked as if she would faint from the shock. She thanked me profusely...and I drove away.

Alas... about a week later, I happened to drive through another busy intersection a few blocks away from there...and I saw the same lady carrying the same sign, with the exhausted young child still right next to her. The mere thought of this sickens me even now...but I am still unable to turn away panhandlers. "Among all these crooks, there may be a few truly needy people"...I keep telling myself.

In the end...we are who we are...
Touching and revealing story, Thask. I guess I am who I am -- and I don't like to be taken. This is why when I part with my money, I do so only under controlled circumstances -- such as taking someone into a convenience store to buy a sandwich -- and sometimes the panhandlers actually refused that kind of gesture. So...you know they were up to no good.
Old 07-30-2016, 02:43 PM   #8
johnhannibalsmith

Thirty even twenty years ago it was people that genuinely looked like the homeless, destitute, hard luck types. Now it's nothing buy grungy dope fiends that can't put in enough consecutive hours at a job without shooting up a vein. I'll give a legit bum some money and don't care what he does with it. The kid who could be having daddy pay his tuition or use the degree he already has but would rather buy more smack every couple of hours can pass out from heatstroke for all I care.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2016, 02:50 PM   #9
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntheRail
Yep have them here... was at the Gas station other day... .
I've been hit up at gas stations a few times this year. My daily routines don't usually put me anywhere else that panhandling is occurring. I usually just shrug and tell them I participate in the "cashless" economy and move on.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2016, 04:00 PM   #10
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

If you want to help the homeless, give to a professionally run organization like the Salvation Army. If you give directly on the street, most of the time you're merely enabling a drug or alcohol addiction.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2016, 04:28 PM   #11
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar
Touching and revealing story, Thask. I guess I am who I am -- and I don't like to be taken. This is why when I part with my money, I do so only under controlled circumstances -- such as taking someone into a convenience store to buy a sandwich -- and sometimes the panhandlers actually refused that kind of gesture. So...you know they were up to no good.
Not necessarily. Perhaps you are familiar with the website www.quora.com. There was a question posted there asking why beggars turned down food. A formerly homeless person answered that he got so many offers for food, but still need cash to do laundry, buy toothpaste, buy socks, etc.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2016, 04:31 PM   #12
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk
I've been hit up at gas stations a few times this year. My daily routines don't usually put me anywhere else that panhandling is occurring. I usually just shrug and tell them I participate in the "cashless" economy and move on.
There is a Scandinavian country, forgot which one, where so many people have gone cashless the government is issuing homeless people credit card accepting devices to facilitate begging.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2016, 04:38 PM   #13
proximity

this happens a lot on the boardwalk in atlantic city and it's about annoying enough to ruin the experience. you just got sucked out on runner-runner at tropicana or taj or wherever and you're trying to take a relaxing walk back to bally's and they're all over you......
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2016, 05:31 PM   #14
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by proximity
this happens a lot on the boardwalk in atlantic city and it's about annoying enough to ruin the experience. you just got sucked out on runner-runner at tropicana or taj or wherever and you're trying to take a relaxing walk back to bally's and they're all over you......
Tell them the lump in the front of your pants is not a wad of cash.
tucker6 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2016, 05:41 PM   #15
traynor

Quote:
Originally Posted by therussmeister
There is a Scandinavian country, forgot which one, where so many people have gone cashless the government is issuing homeless people credit card accepting devices to facilitate begging.
Probably Sweden. They are so adamant about "no cash allowed" that I am not sure one can even make cash bets at their racetracks. The basic theory is that cash transactions encourage crime (of one sort or another).
traynor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply