Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Advance Deposit Wagering (ADW)

Old 09-23-2007, 12:12 PM   #91
TomC

I hope YOUBETS lawyers know that. If they really do have anyone on the case.
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2007, 12:14 PM   #92
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndultoI agree this is a serious matter for residents of all states. When faced with this restriction on a national scale, the poker players organized. We may have to consider joining forces.[/font
[/color]
Not only did they organize, they recruited Senator Alfonse D'Amato!!!
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2007, 01:51 PM   #93
Indulto
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by swetyejohn
Not only did they organize, they recruited Senator Alfonse D'Amato!!!
I take it back.

I read he's a card player and advocated protesting the ban, but I thought he was too busy lobbying for the OTBs and one of the NY racing franchise bidders. Thanks for the heads up. Maybe that's why they haven't yet achieved their objective.
Indulto is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2007, 05:37 PM   #94
ALostTexan

I am an Arizona resident, and really, really pissed off about all of this.

The problem is only doubled in Tucson, where I have really been shut out of the game. Tucson has a overly beechy Greyhound park, which has worked some deals in the legislature that do not allow any wagering in the county on horses while live dog races are being ran. That is nightly, and starts early enough that the handfull of horse tracks that are running get cut off. I say handfull because they only allow the OTB's to carry a couple of tracks, usually around 5 per day.

None of this has been too much of an issue, because we have been able to wager on the horses via internet on non-TVG tracks, cutting out NYRA tracks and Del Mar and the others that are dominated by TVG.

I am 100% behind a boycott against the AZ tracks, because the only ones that I care to support are the Fair Circuit, which is not affected by this new law as they are not simulcast. If that doesn't get some immediate reaction, I say move it further to contact the individual tracks, such as NYRA and Magna, and convince them to cut off TUP and YAV from their onsite OTB's to further squeeze this bill out.

I have vested interests in the industry, especially here in AZ, but I believe that this is a bad move for the horsemen in the state. This law needs to be overturned immediately, and hopefully some of the lawyer-types can figure out a way to overturn it simply based on the monopoly issues this presents, and that we won't have to rely on the legislature in the state.

ALostTexan
Tucson, AZ
ALostTexan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2007, 06:10 PM   #95
TomC

You are correct. I can only hope the ADW's cut TUP from their list of tracks. Lets let TUP see for themselves how well they can do on their own. Or maybe they have an ace in the hole...like building a Target in the parking lot next to the new WalMart.
I hope some of you other Az residents have friends in other states that you can e-mail your picks to, and maybe they can bet them for you too. But please do whatever it takes to not put $1 through an AZ parimutuel window!
Old 09-23-2007, 07:03 PM   #96
trying2win

Boycotting Turf Paradise

I'm willing to boycott Turf Paradise for their upcoming meet to help out the PA member Arizona residents, or any other resident living there that can't make their bets through an ADW. This latest block against ADW's taking bets from Arizona residents is ridiculous. Is anyone starting an online petition against the upcoming Turf Paradise races? I'll sign it gladly.

Even if I want to make a bet on the Turf Paradise races, I'll make it at an offshore racebook, then that track will still get nothing or next-nothing in the way of revenues. If I bet on Turf Paradise races via this method...the Turf Paradise track management lose...the horsemen at that track lose...and American-based ADWS lose... (sorry about that PTC).

However...please allow me to still send some bets in on the greyhound races at Phoenix or Tucson through PTC. Shouldn't affect things too badly by doing that will I?

By the way MICHIKEN (if you read this post) ...can you create a 'BOYCOTT TURF PARADISE' avatar for me? Thanks.

T2W

~“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.”
- Edmund Burke

Last edited by trying2win; 09-23-2007 at 07:09 PM.
trying2win is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2007, 10:50 PM   #97
TomC

Sign me up on that boycott!
Old 09-26-2007, 10:42 PM   #98
Pace Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomman
Prospector: Your question is a valid one. Not only did I not know about this, the new law was shown to me about a week later. Yavapai upper management supported me in the ADW endeavor and had an ADW contract with Ian as well as YouBet (which I suppose is now null and void). The part I was referring to as far as pm'ing me is where we go from here, (after I was shown the bill) as I hope some middle ground can be found in Arizona and have made my thoughts known on that....

Boomer
It stretches credulity to believe you were that far outside the loop at your place of employment.

Quote:
Many representatives of the Arizona horse racing industry offered their support for HB2694 during a Feb. 15 state Committee on Water and Agriculture meeting. Among the supporters were representatives of Turf Paradise, Yavapai Downs, the Yavapai Downs County Fair Association, the Arizona Horsemen’s Benevolent and Protective Association, and the Arizona Thoroughbred Breeders Association.

news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=40980
Pace Cap'n is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-27-2007, 04:51 AM   #99
boomman

Track announcer/Not management

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pace Cap'n
It stretches credulity to believe you were that far outside the loop at your place of employment.

news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=40980

[/color][/size][/font]
It may. but know this: I am NOT involved in managerial decisions, I do not live in Arizona in the winter time, so I basically show up and do my job. It was mentioned to me that Arizona had attempted to get ADW's and failed, and when I asked upper management to sign a contract with Ian over the winter, they readily agreed! Get off the "Boomer knew about this train" guys...For those of you that know me get in here and back this up that I don't do business this way. Arizona lawmakers passed this bill, I found out about it on Sep 11, (7 days AFTER the procott) and CASE CLOSED!!

Boomer
Old 09-27-2007, 05:43 AM   #100
csmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomman
It may. but know this: I am NOT involved in managerial decisions, I do not live in Arizona in the winter time, so I basically show up and do my job. It was mentioned to me that Arizona had attempted to get ADW's and failed, and when I asked upper management to sign a contract with Ian over the winter, they readily agreed! Get off the "Boomer knew about this train" guys...For those of you that know me get in here and back this up that I don't do business this way. Arizona lawmakers passed this bill, I found out about it on Sep 11, (7 days AFTER the procott) and CASE CLOSED!!

Boomer
For what it is worth. I believe Boomer when he says he knew nothing about this. Most or you don't know this but I write the Tip Sheet for THE MAJOR Greyhound track in the country. I am an outside vendor probably much the same as Boomer probably is
. I show up with my Tip Sheets put them at the program stands and I am on my way until the next day. I don't learn things about the inner working of the track until they happen or I hear a rumor that something is going to happen. So I'm with you Boomer. I understand how things work with the tracks..
Old 09-27-2007, 07:15 AM   #101
ezrabrooks
Veteran

I am sure it will be posted as soon as any ADW, licensed to do business in Az, cuts off the Az tracks from their menus in support of the Az residents plight. I just can't see that happening.

Ez
ezrabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-27-2007, 09:59 AM   #102
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrabrooks
I am sure it will be posted as soon as any ADW, licensed to do business in Az, cuts off the Az tracks from their menus in support of the Az residents plight. I just can't see that happening.

Ez
I'm with you -- I don't see it happening. It takes a lot for one business not to do business with another business.

Look how long it took U.S. companies to stop doing business with apartied S. Africa. And even though U.S. businesss stopped, that didn't stop other businesses in other countries from doing business there.

Another example is automobile parts manufacturers. Not all of them are going to stop doing business with GM just because the GM employees are striking.

It's tricky. Do ADWs have a moral obligation not to do business in AZ tracks? Probably not.

A national horseplayers organization might be able to have some influence.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:31 PM   #103
RaceGoer

Answer form HB2694 supporters

I wrote to the 9 legistlators that supported this bill. Two wrote back after my second e-mail I send to all 9. This is what they said:

Internet gambling was hurting our race tracks and not allowing for state revenue controls... (taxes)...

Internet gambling in Arizona has many people concerned...

I feel there could be a way to negotiate an internet system that could help but you should work on that with the race track groups...

Andy Tobin
State Representative
District 1
================================================== =======

Thanks for your email.

There are no discussion on this matter.

I am not sure I can answer your questions. Have you email the prime sponsor of the bill?

Bill Konopnicki
RaceGoer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-27-2007, 12:44 PM   #104
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceGoer
Internet gambling was hurting our race tracks and not allowing for state revenue controls... (taxes)...
This is probably a valid point given that internet horse race betting was never properly legislated in the first place. But the solution is to fix it not to ban it!

Quote:
Internet gambling in Arizona has many people concerned...
That's a safe political answer. But just because people are concerned does that mean it should be banned?

I'm not concerned about internet gambling in Arizona. I'm concerned about the banning of it, though.

Quote:
I feel there could be a way to negotiate an internet system that could help but you should work on that with the race track groups...
God forbid this guy would have to do any kind of work himself besides going around banning things that people are concerned about.

================================================== =======

Quote:
There are no discussion on this matter.
There will be soon!

Quote:
I am not sure I can answer your questions. Have you email the prime sponsor of the bill?

Bill Konopnicki

How do you support a bill you can't answer questions about?

If you don't understand it then abstain from voting on it.

How do these people get elected? I guess somebody has to win the election.