Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #16
dnlgfnk

I thought Andy would blame Richard Grunder.
dnlgfnk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2012, 11:13 AM   #17
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBmadera
No, you can bet via TVG, but they aren't televising/pimping the meet.
This is significant.
Add it to the list of problems mentioned in the article.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:35 AM   #18
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Inevitable, but probably for the better (bettor, too). 10 or 15 tracks of great fields has to better than 50 tracks that suck.
+1
classhandicapper is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2012, 11:41 AM   #19
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper
+1
The amazing thing to me is these tracks don't realize they could make so much more money just running a few boutique meets, even one, and just simulcast a much better product from the bigger curcuits the rest of the year.

Yes, the horsemen will suffer, but that is how life works. People in failing businesses lose their jobs every single day. Hell, people in successful businesses do too. The best trainers, jockeys, owners, grooms, vets, they will survive. The game would thrive. Just as the NFL and NBA don't try to have a franchise in 100 cities, why do we need 100 tracks? It just doesn't make sense. With crop sizes going down, contraction is a must.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2012, 11:55 AM   #20
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
The effect? Lower rebates I'm guessing? I don't think it lost any of the ADWs, just not on television as often.
Don't underestimate that. I have hardly touched Tampa this year; lets face it:a computer feed is nowhere as good as watching a race on hi-def TV.

Beyer may be right about Ness, but Ness has been dominant there for a number of years. The biggest new variable is lack of TV exposure.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2012, 11:57 AM   #21
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P
Not mentioned: Higher signal fees this year vs. last.

-jp

yes, that along with no TVG will put them under the either.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2012, 11:58 AM   #22
Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
The amazing thing to me is these tracks don't realize they could make so much more money just running a few boutique meets, even one, and just simulcast a much better product from the bigger curcuits the rest of the year.

Yes, the horsemen will suffer, but that is how life works. People in failing businesses lose their jobs every single day. Hell, people in successful businesses do too. The best trainers, jockeys, owners, grooms, vets, they will survive. The game would thrive. Just as the NFL and NBA don't try to have a franchise in 100 cities, why do we need 100 tracks? It just doesn't make sense. With crop sizes going down, contraction is a must.
The tracks absolutely realize it. They have contracts with horsemen to negotiate. They have state laws that require "live" racing in order to simulcast. It's a difficult negotiation.
Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2012, 12:00 PM   #23
turninforhome10

I agree with the guy that races in FLA. Less owners and less horses to me equals more super trainers with super owners. Getting more owners to come into a game being wrecked by bad publicity and higher and higher cost is the problem here IMHO. Let's give more money to NTRA for marketing, Go Baby Go. (sarcasm).
turninforhome10 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2012, 12:01 PM   #24
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin
The tracks absolutely realize it. They have contracts with horsemen to negotiate. They have state laws that require "live" racing in order to simulcast. It's a difficult negotiation.
Right, but if someone could actually produce real numbers, show the state they could make MORE money, it would be a lot easier negotiation. Of course the horsemen will fight it, and who wouldn't, but in the end they don't have a leg to stand on. The industry is failing big time with the status quo, time for change.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:02 PM   #25
Robert Fischer
clean money

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj

we can avoid THE INEVITABLE! longer than every recognizable major sports betting event if we want to -

but eventually we need to come together with the "major leagues" (the larger corporate franchises aka the "major" tracks) and executive representatives of the majors need to sit at the table with television media broadcast guys.
  1. When an efficient coordinated broadcast effort is the centerpiece.
  2. And when the majors go ALL IN to put out the highest quality "entertainment" product for that media broadcast -
  • - the MAJORS will thrive in every applicable metric.
Increased churn will not only come from new sources, but also from the "MINORS". Especially during the initial growing period. Some minors will fail.

There are enough quality horses, certainly enough venues, and gloom/doom - or not we have a society that loves to gamble and who gambles on anything put in front of them (from slots to lotto to poker to football / we can't play golf or watch our sons play hs basketball without a friendly wager!!!) - so a television broadcast of our major product in concentrated doses WILL SELL if we put it in front of society and do it in an intelligent, efficient manner.

[/rant]

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 02-23-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2012, 12:11 PM   #26
Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Right, but if someone could actually produce real numbers, show the state they could make MORE money, it would be a lot easier negotiation. Of course the horsemen will fight it, and who wouldn't, but in the end they don't have a leg to stand on. The industry is failing big time with the status quo, time for change.
I would love to see real numbers. Our perspective from the gambling side is really only part of the equation. There is no question what we would like to see happen. However, I'm not sure the State would so obviously make MORE money. What is the economic impact of live racing for the state's agriculture business? There are many variables. The problem with numbers is the humans that produce them. They always have a dog in the fight.
Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2012, 12:16 PM   #27
ArlJim78

In my opinion Ness is the big factor. It's just not appealing to jump into a race or sequence of races where he has horses entered.
ArlJim78 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2012, 12:19 PM   #28
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin
I would love to see real numbers. Our perspective from the gambling side is really only part of the equation. There is no question what we would like to see happen. However, I'm not sure the State would so obviously make MORE money. What is the economic impact of live racing for the state's agriculture business? There are many variables. The problem with numbers is the humans that produce them. They always have a dog in the fight.
Of course, but it really isn't that hard here. The game is bleeding money. It is being supported in many places because of slots. If it weren't for them, it would be gone already. It isn't hard to prove the state can make more money without racing, or with substantially less, than it can with it.

It really is simple. If handle can't support the game on its own, it is a bad deal for everyone. The economic impact on the state is greatly exaggerated in my opinion, but I am no expert there.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:44 PM   #29
jelly
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer
Are they off the TVG menu this meet ?

HRTV carrys Tampa bay.
jelly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2012, 01:19 PM   #30
Cardus
Veteran

Regarding the foal crop size: what percentage of foals make it to the races (meaning even one race)?

Has there been an increasing percentage of foals who do not make it to the races, or has the percentage been steady for the last (five, 10, 20) years?
Cardus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply