Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.
Old 02-24-2020, 04:55 PM   #166
Suff
Beat up 💪

This is wechat. China's equivalent of Telegram or Whatsppp. I do some business this way. I've known this person nearly a year. I asked today how he was doing, he informed me that Shenzhen, a city of 12 million people, was on lock down.

Shenzhen is South China, just inside the main land. Its Soutern Border is about 100 miles of Hong Kong.

Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2020, 05:05 PM   #167
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Suff, it's a regional 14 day "quarantine", mandated by the Chinese Gov......Didn't he tell you that?..
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2020, 05:07 PM   #168
Suff
Beat up 💪

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
Suff, it's a regional 14 day "quarantine", mandated by the Chinese Gov......Didn't he tell you that?..
he me told what's in the chat.
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2020, 05:07 PM   #169
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
This virus scare isn't the only thing bringing the markets down.

If it is, we're in bigger trouble then I originally thought.
Moving supply chains outside mainland China will immunize our markets in the future, had we not gone into trade wars with China I think we would not be in such resilient condition. By far the United States economy is the most resilient in the world, the tax cuts and regulation cuts prevented a full blown recession than any President normally would have had to deal with. Three years ago I fully expected that there would be something President Donald J. Trump would have disappointed me on that I would forgive him on, but since I do not care about the same things I am pleasantly surprised. I am therefore convinced no contender for President will be able to beat him. His base will be out in a expanded full force measures not seen in modern times.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2020, 05:14 PM   #170
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suff View Post
he me told what's in the chat.
No broken English, please....
Old 02-24-2020, 05:19 PM   #171
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

How convenient, the outbreak of this virus has pushed the Hong Kong protests out of the news.

Almost like it was planned as a way to legitimize putting large groups of people in quarantine.....
Old 02-24-2020, 05:22 PM   #172
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
No broken English, please....
The man has posted really cool racing pictures and has a proclivity for bodacious lady's. I would certainly give him a pass.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2020, 05:24 PM   #173
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4522 View Post
The man has posted really cool racing pictures and has a proclivity for bodacious lady's. I would certainly give him a pass.
I'm fully aware of what Suff contributes here....Giving him a little ribbin' is all.
Old 02-24-2020, 05:25 PM   #174
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
How convenient, the outbreak of this virus has pushed the Hong Kong protests out of the news.

Almost like it was planned as a way to legitimize putting large groups of people in quarantine.....
POINTS++...
Old 02-24-2020, 05:43 PM   #175
horsefan2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4522 View Post
Moving supply chains outside mainland China will immunize our markets in the future, had we not gone into trade wars with China I think we would not be in such resilient condition. By far the United States economy is the most resilient in the world, the tax cuts and regulation cuts prevented a full blown recession than any President normally would have had to deal with. Three years ago I fully expected that there would be something President Donald J. Trump would have disappointed me on that I would forgive him on, but since I do not care about the same things I am pleasantly surprised. I am therefore convinced no contender for President will be able to beat him. His base will be out in a expanded full force measures not seen in modern times.
But China is where many companies look for growth so there is no way to immunize from the effects of a pandemic. Even if China isn't part of the supply chain, they are part of the customer base for many of the manufactured products, so this will hurt many companies bottom lines.
horsefan2019 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2020, 05:53 PM   #176
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsefan2019 View Post
But China is where many companies look for growth so there is no way to immunize from the effects of a pandemic. Even if China isn't part of the supply chain, they are part of the customer base for many of the manufactured products, so this will hurt many companies bottom lines.
more are going to look towards India

and I would rather watch movies from Bollywood than propaganda from China
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2020, 06:43 PM   #177
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
General comment --

Towards the end of January, after news of the virus first broke, but before lockdowns and quarantines were implemented, a number of the local TV stations here in San Diego sent reporters and camera crews to both the San Diego airport and the the Tijuana airport south of the border.

I recall one of the stations airing a segment from the Tijuana airport showing Mexican authorities using facial thermometers to screen passengers disembarking a direct flight from China.

I recall the reporter mentioning (at the time) that there were two direct flights a week from China to Tijuana - and that arriving passengers were now being screened for a fever. (As if that would somehow make a difference.)

I tried searching for that specific clip but was unable to find a link.

However, I did find links to a few of the others, including this one --

Posted: January 27, 2020
Updated: 11:12 PM by Hunter Sowards
Last flight from China arrives at Tijuana Airport as coronavirus causes evacuations:
https://www.kusi.com/last-flight-fro...s-evacuations/

Given the contagious nature of the virus, the close proximity of passengers on an airplane, the number of hours it takes to fly from China to pretty much anywhere, and the number of flights to and from China before commercial flights were locked down --

Also, if you consider the possibility of private jets flying a limited number of people in and out of China to and from various destinations around the world --

It would be naive to think there are zero unreported Covid-19 cases among the general population - in pretty much every country of the world.

Imo, news of pockets breaking out in South Korea, Italy, and Iran suggest we may be losing the opportunity for containment.

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 02-24-2020 at 06:46 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2020, 06:49 PM   #178
TJDave

The Harvard epidemiology professor Marc Lipsitch is exacting in his diction, even for an epidemiologist. Twice in our conversation he started to say something, then paused and said, “Actually, let me start again.” So it’s striking when one of the points he wanted to get exactly right was this: “I think the likely outcome is that it will ultimately not be containable.”

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...accine/607000/
Old 02-24-2020, 08:20 PM   #179
davew

president Trump trade war has helped buffer the effect on USA as many companies have diversified their sources and/or manufacturing at home.

One area still dependent on China / foreign countries are antibiotics. Penicillin is no longer produced in USA.
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2020, 08:26 PM   #180
sammy the sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

My EARLIER point EXACTLY...

again tho...what's Trump going to do?

Last edited by sammy the sage; 02-24-2020 at 08:27 PM.
sammy the sage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: