Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 30 votes, 3.80 average.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:28 PM   #1546
pandy

As it turns out, Flatter Me Big looked perfectly sound running and finished a solid second.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:06 PM   #1547
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy
As it turns out, Flatter Me Big looked perfectly sound running and finished a solid second.
This horse...if "perfectly sound" --should have won this in a cake walk. Losing by 6 lengths is hardly a "solid second". Improving, and a huge class drop, shipped to a lesser track--and the horse still can't win. There are no moral victories in racing.

His $2600 2nd place check doesn't begin to cover expenses for 3 months...and no claim today. His owners must be thrilled.

He also blew any chance for the connections to recoup anything at the windows. (you may not think so--but I believe that's a major consideration at the bottom claiming levels)--NCG

Edit: sorry about the "tone" of this post---it's just sour grapes

Last edited by NorCalGreg; 09-26-2016 at 06:11 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:26 PM   #1548
jk3521
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalGreg
This horse...if "perfectly sound" --should have won this in a cake walk. Losing by 6 lengths is hardly a "solid second". Improving, and a huge class drop, shipped to a lesser track--and the horse still can't win. There are no moral victories in racing.

His $2600 2nd place check doesn't begin to cover expenses for 3 months...and no claim today. His owners must be thrilled.

He also blew any chance for the connections to recoup anything at the windows. (you may not think so--but I believe that's a major consideration at the bottom claiming levels)--NCG
I have a friend who breeds and owns thoroughbreds. He kept telling me about this horse he had by Scatdaddy, how he said to himself "this is my Derby horse". The horse has run a half a dozen times, always finishing up the track. He turned the horse over to Kathleen O'Connell who had him in training for 6 months, then entered the horse at Gulfstream in a low level maiden claiming turf race. She assured him that the horse was ready. He had never gone a distance of ground, she told him he could do the distance. The horse took off out of the gate and then dueled for the lead with a 150- 1 shot and stopped in the stretch. I hated to tell the guy, but watching the video feed that day , even with poor resolution, I could see that this was no Derby horse. He barely looked like a thoroughbred! This goes to show you that what the "connections" have in mind to do and what the horse can do sometimes are very much different.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:29 PM   #1549
green80

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy
Too bad we can't watch him walk about wednesday when the bute wears off.

There are a lot of things you can do to make one look sound for a race. Truth is about half the field in these cheap races have some kind of ailment, just some have enough heart to run past it.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:27 PM   #1550
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

6th Race @ Presque

I like the DESIGNER DUDS @12-1 right now
Old 09-26-2016, 07:59 PM   #1551
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Quote:
6th Race @ Presque

I like the DESIGNER DUDS @12-1 right now

grrrrrrrrrrrr....I am absolutely SNAKEBIT right now---longest shot on the board --even the announcer--as my horse is bearing down on the leader--says 'WHERE'S THE WIRE?"
Old 09-26-2016, 10:06 PM   #1552
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by green80
Too bad we can't watch him walk about wednesday when the bute wears off.

There are a lot of things you can do to make one look sound for a race. Truth is about half the field in these cheap races have some kind of ailment, just some have enough heart to run past it.
I am just saying, to me he looked sound. There are different reasons why horses don't run to top form.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:14 PM   #1553
jk3521
Registered Loser

The horse put out it's best and it wasn't near enough. I wouldn't follow up.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:38 PM   #1554
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk3521
The horse put out it's best and it wasn't near enough. I wouldn't follow up.
Yeah...today was the day. Say this horse was a car...you're spending a ton of money on gas, repairs, licensing, etc...you put it up for sale for 5K...no takers.

Do you just keep on driving the car?

No...you get rid of this money-drain one way or another. Someone calls and offers BRAN JAM Stables $500 cash---trust me, they take it. Those are businessmen first and foremost

Maybe you'll see that horse next @ Podunk Downs, running for some nobody trainer---in a 1.5k claimer.

Last edited by NorCalGreg; 09-26-2016 at 10:40 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:47 PM   #1555
jk3521
Registered Loser

Quote:
Yeah...today was the day. Say this horse was a car...you're spending a ton of money on gas, repairs, licensing, etc...you put it up for sale for 5K...no takers.

Do you just keep on driving the car?

No...you get rid of this money-drain one way or another. Someone calls and offers BRAN JAM Stables $500 cash---trust me, they take it. Those are businessmen first and foremost

Maybe you'll see that horse next @ Podunk Downs, running for some nobody trainer---in a 1.5k claimer.
Right ,because it wasn't claimed doesn't mean that it might not have been sold privately. Plenty of suckers out there to buy a horse with some early speed thinking that they are the ones that can turn a loser into a winner.

Last edited by jk3521; 09-26-2016 at 10:49 PM.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:03 AM   #1556
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Nothing really exciting going today...might as well take a look at Portland Meadows. The late double looks inviting price-wise.

Only 1 ABILITY play FLATTER ME ZANJA 5TH @ PARX 9-2

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attached Images
File Type: jpg PMX.JPG (112.2 KB, 149 views)
Old 09-27-2016, 08:03 AM   #1557
pandy

Going back to that horse at Delaware yesterday, Flatter Me Big, the horse won in a 20K N2L claiming race at Keeneland when he was trained by Brad Cox, who was winning at 33%. He was claimed out of the race and won for $30,000, in a restricted claiming race in his next start, for Tom Amoss, who was winning at 32%. Then Louis Linder, who is winning at 11%, claimed the horse. Since then he has raced 6 times and five starts were dreadful, until yesterday when he dropped in for $5,000 and ran second.

This is what happens so often when horses are claimed from "super trainers". There may not be anything physically wrong with this horse. Maybe he simply can't run as fast without the magic that these high percentage trainers possess.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:37 PM   #1558
green80

What is the "magic" that these high percentage trainers have?
Old 09-27-2016, 08:16 PM   #1559
pandy

Quote:

If we knew, it wouldn't be magic.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:21 PM   #1560
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
To enter their horses where they have the best chance of winning, they all have purchased Pace View Platinum and finally started watching replays.......Or they have a great vet, who knows how to make a great cocktail, that's undetectable...
Closed Thread