Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-15-2021, 06:56 PM   #1
dilanesp

He isn't the same without the foot ointment

Sorry Bob.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2021, 09:04 PM   #2
barbaro123

That is a crock: his win, and now his loss, has nothing to do with foot ointment. Educate yourself. Betamethasone is not, REPEAT: NOT A PERFORMANCE ENHANCING DRUG
barbaro123 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2021, 09:24 PM   #3
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaro123 View Post
That is a crock: his win, and now his loss, has nothing to do with foot ointment. Educate yourself. Betamethasone is not, REPEAT: NOT A PERFORMANCE ENHANCING DRUG
Not many people believe the cream excuse. Even Bob isn't fully committed to it.

Most likely scenario is he injected the joint too close to race day. At the very least, we can be sure he didn't do that for the Preakness. And I seriously doubt he would get injected "just because" so it probably does make a difference whether you want to call it performance enhancing or not.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2021, 11:08 PM   #4
Gander36

FACTS:

Bob Baffert ran three horses at Pimlico over the weekend.

All three were tested pre-race.

All three ran clear of medicines.

All three were favorites.

All three lost.
Gander36 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2021, 12:29 AM   #5
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

cool
Old 05-16-2021, 01:42 AM   #6
ScatDaddy

I think he was probably tired from his recent race at Churchill. He's not as big as some of the other ponies and he led most of the race until the very end. Very sad that he got 3rd.
ScatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2021, 07:04 AM   #7
BELMONT 6-6-09

The days of assumptions are over we need the facts and evidence to STOP THE CHEATS .And we need to prosecute these cheats to the fullest extent. The Baffert 'game' has been going on too long with his denials concerning the medication violations. In my opinion he has tarnished the game with his status in the sport as a 'great trainer'.

Enough is enough!!!
BELMONT 6-6-09 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2021, 07:34 AM   #8
pandy

Quote:
Betamethasone, if injected into a joint, is an anti-inflammatory steroid that can reduce pain and inflammation, which would help performance. And it's often used for that purpose.

https://betavetequine.com/
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2021, 07:40 AM   #9
barbaro123

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy View Post
Betamethasone, if injected into a joint, is an anti-inflammatory steroid that can reduce pain and inflammation, which would help performance. And it's often used for that purpose.

Let me ask you a question- if betamethasone was injected, wouldn't the amount found in the blood be higher than it was? I don't know, which is why I am asking- there was so little found in the overage of this medication.
Old 05-16-2021, 07:42 AM   #10
barbaro123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander36 View Post
FACTS:

Bob Baffert ran three horses at Pimlico over the weekend.

All three were tested pre-race.

All three ran clear of medicines.

All three were favorites.

All three lost.
Baffert doesn't win all the time you know- he loses plenty of races- I do not believe the teeny weeny amount of betamethasone in the horse's system on Derby day was enough to help him win the race. He lost in the Preakness because he was tired, quick turnaround, he is a smaller horse- and because Rombauer had a very good day!
Old 05-16-2021, 08:09 AM   #11
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Quote:

Then it should be re-categorized by the ARCI from a 4C to a 3B. Unless that happens, all this hand-wringing and teeth-gnashing about 'doping' seems misdirected to me.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2021, 08:11 AM   #12
pandy

Quote:
Let me ask you a question- if betamethasone was injected, wouldn't the amount found in the blood be higher than it was? I don't know, which is why I am asking- there was so little found in the overage of this medication.
Not necessarily if it was injected early enough. Baffert has a history of being caught with pain killers, including Lidocaine and Morphine.
Old 05-16-2021, 08:18 AM   #13
pandy

Quote:
Baffert doesn't win all the time you know- he loses plenty of races- I do not believe the teeny weeny amount of betamethasone in the horse's system on Derby day was enough to help him win the race. He lost in the Preakness because he was tired, quick turnaround, he is a smaller horse- and because Rombauer had a very good day!
You're assuming that he doesn't use drugs that can't be detected. The thyroid drug that he claimed to have used on the 7 horses he killed is a known masking agent for Cobalt, a performance-enhancing drug, and it's well documented on the internet. A gentleman who owns racetracks told me personally that he caught a trainer using that thyroid drug in a cocktail with Cobalt and kicked him off the grounds.

Baffert's win percentage is often over 30%, which, even for someone with well-bred horses, is very high. And he has had a lot of horses in his career than ran mind-boggling races. The best comparison is Todd Pletcher. He also has well bred horses and he also wins a lot of stakes races, but he rarely has a horse run a sensational race.
Old 05-16-2021, 10:20 AM   #14
dilanesp

Quote:
You're assuming that he doesn't use drugs that can't be detected. The thyroid drug that he claimed to have used on the 7 horses he killed is a known masking agent for Cobalt, a performance-enhancing drug, and it's well documented on the internet. A gentleman who owns racetracks told me personally that he caught a trainer using that thyroid drug in a cocktail with Cobalt and kicked him off the grounds.

Baffert's win percentage is often over 30%, which, even for someone with well-bred horses, is very high. And he has had a lot of horses in his career than ran mind-boggling races. The best comparison is Todd Pletcher. He also has well bred horses and he also wins a lot of stakes races, but he rarely has a horse run a sensational race.
And this is our experience from other sports too. E.g., the whole point of the BALCO scandal was they developed drugs and protocols so they didn't show up on tests. Ben Johnson passed numerous tests before the Olympics even though we know he was using. Etc.

For every positive test there are probably numerous undetected violations.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2021, 10:42 AM   #15
burnsy
self medicated

He denied it was injected. So, the ointment story and dermatitis is all we have to go by. Even though that wasn’t the first “explanation “ he gave. But there were a couple factors that cost that horse . The turn around is probably one of them but a huge difference was Midnight Bourbon and Irad. The jock change gave this horse a way more faster start from the gate with no bump. The pace wasn’t sizzling but Irad was on Medina Spirits ass through out. No breathers and he put that horse away easily. He also only ran two weeks ago and the Preakness was a huge improvement. Not all of these horses tire like people think. The difference was a little contention on the lead and a horse named Rombauer stepping up his game fresh. If Rombauer can duplicate that effort he’s gonna be a tough out from now on. I didn’t have him but he looked the part yesterday from entering the track til the wire. That freaking horse was feeling good. Lost but glad Medina didn’t win. This crap has to end so people can move on. All I say is , you fail a test, you give the game a black eye. On derby day you’re causing a disaster. Don’t care about excuses, thresholds or any of that. You won all these races over the years......... you know the fcking rules by now!

Last edited by burnsy; 05-16-2021 at 10:44 AM.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply