Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 11-30-2020, 01:38 PM   #16
Marshall Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by zico20 View Post
Biden said "if he would have taken this seriously no one would have died." Biden said this in one of the debates with Trump. Many Democrats have come out and said Trump is responsible for over 200,000 deaths. At least no one is going to die after January 20th. I feel so much better now.
Trump will still get blamed...for that and anything else that democrats fk up. Isn't that how it works?
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-30-2020, 01:40 PM   #17
thaskalos

If a person commits suicide because of "domestic violence"...then we are being disingenuous by blaming this on the "lockdowns". These "studies" have to be better controlled if they seek to be taken seriously.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-30-2020, 01:40 PM   #18
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss9698 View Post
other countries who have been very successful at containing the virus are not doing.
What countries might those be? When I reviewed the charts on that famous Johns Hopkins website a week or so ago, I couldn't find any country (worth talking about) that hasn't seen significant spikes in the past couple of months.
Old 11-30-2020, 01:44 PM   #19
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Right so if it spreads much greater inside than out why are people getting together inside?

Masks aren’t worthless.

Your last sentence says it all. We’re a very selfish society that can’t handle being asked to sacrifice a little for the greater good. Tell the 260,000 people who have died and their families how minimal the risk is.

Science isn’t the enemy. Ignorance is.
It's interesting where the world chooses to take a stand when it comes to people dying.

Big numbers are scary. Especially when taken out of context. Thanks for posting them. I've never seen that number before.
Old 11-30-2020, 01:45 PM   #20
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
If a person commits suicide because of "domestic violence"...then we are being disingenuous by blaming this on the "lockdowns". These "studies" have to be better controlled if they seek to be taken seriously.
How delicious this post is given the topic.
Old 11-30-2020, 01:54 PM   #21
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
How delicious this post is given the topic.
Okay...let me address the topic more directly. The Japanese suicide rate is currently reported at 16 per 100,000. The American suicide rate in 2018 -- BEFORE the virus -- was at 14 per 100,000. 2 people per 100,000 is the difference between the Japanese now...and where the Americans were in pre-virus 2018. When analyzing scant differences such as these...we better be as precise as possible in our "studies"...lest we reach totally inaccurate conclusions.
Old 11-30-2020, 02:14 PM   #22
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Okay...let me address the topic more directly. The Japanese suicide rate is currently reported at 16 per 100,000. The American suicide rate in 2018 -- BEFORE the virus -- was at 14 per 100,000. 2 people per 100,000 is the difference between the Japanese now...and where the Americans were in pre-virus 2018. When analyzing scant differences such as these...we better be as precise as possible in our "studies"...lest we reach totally inaccurate conclusions.
My point was that you were saying the "cause" of these suicides aren't being accurately reflected. You point out that someone killing themselves due to domestic abuse shouldn't necessarily be counted as a COVID-related suicide.

Just like people on here have been saying many COVID deaths are being misrepresented, yet you give that no time of day (that I can remember). That's the "delicious" part.

The hypocrisy makes me smile. Is that wrong?
Old 11-30-2020, 02:21 PM   #23
thaskalos

Quote:
My point was that you were saying the "cause" of these suicides aren't being accurately reflected. You point out that someone killing themselves due to domestic abuse shouldn't necessarily be counted as a COVID-related suicide.

Just like people on here have been saying many COVID deaths are being misrepresented, yet you give that no time of day (that I can remember). That's the "delicious" part.

The hypocrisy makes me smile. Is that wrong?
Your memory leaves a lot to be desired. In fact...I was the one who initially posted here that George Floyd's death might have been reported as a COVID death. Pick on someone else when you try to make your point about "COVID misrepresented deaths".
Old 11-30-2020, 02:26 PM   #24
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Your memory leaves a lot to be desired. In fact...I was the one who initially posted here that George Floyd's death might have been reported as a COVID death. Pick on someone else when you try to make your point about "COVID misrepresented deaths".
Wat? George Floyd?

Talk about a reach.
Old 11-30-2020, 02:30 PM   #25
thaskalos

Quote:
Wat? George Floyd?

Talk about a reach.
It was a JOKE! Do you remember when you had a sense of humor? But then again...that was when Trump was at his highest...and everything was about "WINNING ". REMEMBER?
Old 11-30-2020, 02:33 PM   #26
davew

Quote:
What Democrats said this? Give me actual examples. Also, please provide a link to Biden saying no one would’ve died with a national mask mandate.

Of course Trump himself couldn’t stop it from spreading. But his poor leadership then and now is not helping. Instead of being a strong leader and being honest about the virus, how easily it is spread and how dangerous it could be...he wanted to “be positive”. Instead of embracing wearing a mask he wanted to pander to dumb faux patriots because he knows they eat up his fake tough guy routine.

Trump’s problem is he always thinks he’s the smartest person on every topic and the reality is he never is.
Here's Nancy

davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-30-2020, 02:43 PM   #27
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
What does this have to do with my post?
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-30-2020, 02:48 PM   #28
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
It was a JOKE! Do you remember when you had a sense of humor? But then again...that was when Trump was at his highest...and everything was about "WINNING ". REMEMBER?
What is with you guys fixating on emotions such as anger and humor and whatever.

Is this supposed to be some sort of insult?

Maybe your delivery needs to be improved. You can't tell when anyone is joking these days.
Old 11-30-2020, 03:00 PM   #29
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
What countries might those be? When I reviewed the charts on that famous Johns Hopkins website a week or so ago, I couldn't find any country (worth talking about) that hasn't seen significant spikes in the past couple of months.
South Korea is the model. They've had a robust testing-and-tracing program in place from day 1. It has worked very, very well. They've seen an uptick recently, even so the US infection rate is currently 54x worse than in South Korea. Many EU countries also have radically worse numbers than South Korea. The US per capita cumulative death rate is almost 80x worse than in South Korea.

It's possible (likely?) that Asian cultures are just more compliant in following Covid-prevention protocols, but South Korea still shows what success looks like.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-30-2020, 03:02 PM   #30
Secretariat

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
The sad part about all the suicides and economic ruin is that all the mask wearing, social distancing, and lockdowns that caused it hasn't stopped the spread of the virus. Cases are starting to spike a little now there also.

All these extreme actions merely delay when it's eventually going to spread.

Without a thorough analysis of the long term economic costs, mental health costs, physical health costs, spousal abuses, suicides, drug/alcohol abuse etc... that comes with extreme lockdowns you can't even be sure if you are doing the right thing.

I'm starting to think the guys that said protect the weak and vulnerable and do mask and limited social distancing had it right. The extreme measures don't stop it and the long term costs of a hard lockdown are huge.
Apparently, England's four week lockdown has helped as as cases have fallen 30% during this time.

https://www.wcvb.com/article/coronav...kdown/34817875
Secretariat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: