Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 08-23-2017, 02:46 PM   #31
jimmyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Why in the world would the thought of being banned over a debate in off topic about protesting the NA ever cross your mind, even IF it's with someone who is an advertiser? It's off topic...lol

Weird, man...I must have some reputation....
I have seen others get banned for various reasons. Don't know what your criteria is for banning.

I do know that name calling is one of the things not tolerated. For a number of reasons/excuses I lost my cool. I apologized to Dave and am now apologizing to MM for my name calling and temper. I apologize to you for my assuming you would ban me. I am not happy with myself for the treatment and disrespect I showed to Dave and MM. I probably deserve some sort of reprimand at least.

I still feel strongly about the stated issues but probably should have counted ten. Or maybe to ten thousand before responding.
jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-23-2017, 03:16 PM   #32
olddaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbinepmi View Post
Or you could play it while they are still in the locker room.

The anthem is played before the horses come on the track. Same can be done in nfl. Very easy solution and a good call by you.
olddaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-23-2017, 04:09 PM   #33
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Apologize if this was mentioned already but how about if the media stopped reporting on people kneeling during the anthem?

I respect the players right to do so, even though I disagree, but the only reason it's a big deal is because the media keeps bringing it up.

Treat it like when a fan runs on the field. They don't show it because they don't want to give the people more attention.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-23-2017, 04:10 PM   #34
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb View Post
I have seen others get banned for various reasons. Don't know what your criteria is for banning.

I do know that name calling is one of the things not tolerated. For a number of reasons/excuses I lost my cool. I apologized to Dave and am now apologizing to MM for my name calling and temper. I apologize to you for my assuming you would ban me. I am not happy with myself for the treatment and disrespect I showed to Dave and MM. I probably deserve some sort of reprimand at least.

I still feel strongly about the stated issues but probably should have counted ten. Or maybe to ten thousand before responding.
Tx, sir. But no need. It's an incendiary topic, and I'm the one who brought it up. No offense taken-and hopefully none given.

Last edited by mountainman; 08-23-2017 at 04:11 PM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-23-2017, 04:14 PM   #35
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Tx, sir. But no need. It's an incendiary topic, and I'm the one who brought it up. No offense taken-and hopefully none given.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-23-2017, 05:02 PM   #36
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbinepmi View Post
Or you could play it while they are still in the locker room.
Been quite a while since I've been to a high school game, but that was the protocol here for many years.... The home band plays the anthem, then a minute or so later the teams come on the field. Same for college games.

As a vet it doesn't bother me too much anymore what attention whores do. Just have to realize they're taking a Look At Me moment. The last laugh always belong to the consumer tho.
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-23-2017, 05:59 PM   #37
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss9698 View Post
Apologize if this was mentioned already but how about if the media stopped reporting on people kneeling during the anthem?

I respect the players right to do so, even though I disagree, but the only reason it's a big deal is because the media keeps bringing it up.

Treat it like when a fan runs on the field. They don't show it because they don't want to give the people more attention.
Hoss,

Trying to get the media to not report something that will bring people to the TV is just never gonna happen.

Good idea, though.
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-23-2017, 10:37 PM   #38
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
LOL..I've been whipped by smaller guys, but have upset some big bad opponents..but can assure you, i've had my last altercation...too old..too slow..too sane ( i hope)..still have bad temper, but have(finally) learned to walk away...in fact, i've spouted enough on this topic, and it aint cool to insist on the last word..so i'm out...

btw---i think Kapernick would have a job if he actually COULD perform...the guy stunk it up in his last several outings
I know that you said that you were out of the discussion, but this last line caught my eye. In my opinion, Kaepernick is definitely one of the top 64 quarterbacks in the NFL. It is arguable, given the dearth of QB talent in the league, that he is one of the 32 best. His performance was down from prior years, but much of that can be attributed to injuries and his not being fully recovered. This is coming from someone who is far from a fan of his. I think his not being signed is 100 percent about his protest and 0 percent about his talent.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:31 AM   #39
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin66 View Post
I know that you said that you were out of the discussion, but this last line caught my eye. In my opinion, Kaepernick is definitely one of the top 64 quarterbacks in the NFL. It is arguable, given the dearth of QB talent in the league, that he is one of the 32 best. His performance was down from prior years, but much of that can be attributed to injuries and his not being fully recovered. This is coming from someone who is far from a fan of his. I think his not being signed is 100 percent about his protest and 0 percent about his talent.
Your last sentence has a lot of merit, but... His protest can affect a team's performance. Players sending time answering questions about him can wear a team down after awhile

In my forty plus years of full time employment I can assure you I've seen many a decent to marginal employee get shown the door because of conflicts, be it personality, being overly opinionated etc... Just because he's one of the best 64 qb's in the game (not a given by any means) doesn't mean anything in the big picture.

Just listening to jerry jones, you know for sure he would run out Ryan leaf before he went after Kapernick. That's just the way it is.

Last edited by ElKabong; 08-24-2017 at 12:36 AM.
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2017, 11:29 AM   #40
Inner Dirt

What I don't understand is most people do not even consider the fact that Kaepernick sat during the anthem while wearing the uniform of the San Francisco 49ers and while being paid by them. If someone is fine with his behavior they should also have no problem with the waitress at Denny's handing them religious pamphlets with their menus. If I owned the 49ers I would have waved him on the spot and had him removed from the premises. Let him protest all he wants in street clothes and when he is off the clock.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2017, 03:47 PM   #41
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post
Your last sentence has a lot of merit, but... His protest can affect a team's performance. Players sending time answering questions about him can wear a team down after awhile

In my forty plus years of full time employment I can assure you I've seen many a decent to marginal employee get shown the door because of conflicts, be it personality, being overly opinionated etc... Just because he's one of the best 64 qb's in the game (not a given by any means) doesn't mean anything in the big picture.

Just listening to jerry jones, you know for sure he would run out Ryan leaf before he went after Kapernick. That's just the way it is.
But has it EVER been about the 64 gosh darn bye golly level best quarterbacks filling those spots>>>?? Teams have different needs and wish lists for a backup...experience with the system, tolerance for not playing..physical upside, even future coaching smarts?? etc..etc..so why, now that kapernick is unemployed, must the nfl prove beyond doubt that the best 64 have somehow been magically identified and hired????

Backup quarterbacks can be strange birds and bring a variety of qualifications to the job.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2017, 04:11 PM   #42
Inner Dirt

Kaepernick also has issues unrelated to his play above and beyond disrespecting the flag. He wore socks to practice with cartoon pigs in police uniforms. He wore a Castro shirt and praised Castro for Cuba's education system. He also posted a police badge next to a badge of a runaway slave patrol. His girlfriend posted a picture of Ray Lewis and the Ravens owner and implied they were slave owner and Uncle Tom.

So between him and his girlfriend he has called cops pigs and runaway slave catchers, praised a brutal dictator, disrespected a sacred symbol in the USA flag, implied an NFL owner was a slave owner and Ray Lewis was an Uncle Tom. The guy is a first class piece of classless trash. I just hope he ends up bankrupt like a lot of ex-NFL players do, I will laugh my ass off it that happens.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2017, 04:12 PM   #43
Dave Schwartz

To ignore Kaepernick's impact on the balance sheet would just be a bad business move.

While it might be worth it for a super star, or even a star, I don't think any franchise should do it for a 2nd stringer.
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2017, 06:10 PM   #44
proximity

kaepernick could be signed to a practice squad after the big cut. I wouldn't let him anywhere near the field though unless he's gonna stand for the anthem.
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2017, 07:07 PM   #45
Parkview_Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin66 View Post
When he first came in the league, I thought he was the real deal and going to be one of the elite players of the game. Maybe injuries have something to do with it, but clearly his head is not screwed on straight - and that pretty much makes him useless in the NFL.
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: