Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Jorge Navarro

Anybody know the background of this miracle worker?

He was 23 for 46 off the claim before his latest claim romped by a pole or two in the Monmouth finale. Not only that, he did it with one of the worst jockeys on the circuit, 2 for 92 Francisco Maysonett. Just curious from which master horseman this guy learned the trade.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-26-2013, 06:08 PM   #2
lamboguy

he's been winning now for the past couple of years. the people that were once North Atlantic Thoroughbreds are now with him, so he has much more stock. i watched his horses train at Monmouth in May and they were all going like gangbusters back then. i have no idea if he is using TB500 or something like that to get his horses to go right away.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-26-2013, 06:22 PM   #3
pondman

Florida Division of Parimutual
"12-6-10 Consent Order Issued: Fined $500 FINE PAID 11-22-2010. CHECK #999999 FOR $500.00 NO ACCT LISTED ON CHECK.- JP MORGAN CHASE BANK Consent order signed 10-15-2010. 325 Calder Race Course Horse ROY'S GIRLS Drug Phenylbutazone Sample # 535397 Lab # A461750-HB"

On November 10, 2010, during a routine bam inspection by Inv. Diana Neira and Dennis Badillo, several medications were found in Navarro's unlocked tack room in Bam 5 at Calder Race Course. These medications had no prescription labels affixed as required by rule. Respondent shall pay a fine in the amount of One Hundred Dollars ($100.00). *See State Racing Commission?s official ruling for the complete text regarding the above mentioned incident.

Respondent was the trainer of record for and therefore the absolute insurer of the condition of a thoroughbred named BIBLIONICO at all times material hereto. On February 12, 2011, BIBLIONICO was entered in the 1st race at Tampa Bay Downs. A specimen sample taken from BIBLIONICO at the time of the race subsequently tested positive for hydroxyethyl promazine sulfoxide (a metabolite of acepromazine - a tranquilizer and a class 3 drug). Respondent shall pay a fine in the amount of Five Hundred Dollars ($500.00). *See State Racing Commission's official ruling for the complete text regarding the above mentioned incident.

Delaware Thoroughbred Commission

Trainer Jorge Navarro, having appeared for a hearing on Tuesday, July 27, 2012, Mr. Navarro is fined the sum of one thousand five hundred ($1,500.00) dollars for treating the horse, Pot of Gold, in the receiving barn with Lyte Now (Electrolyte Paste) within twenty-four hours prior to the schedule of his race, necessitating a scratch from the 5th race on Thursday, June 28, 2012.

Last edited by pondman; 07-26-2013 at 06:25 PM.
pondman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-26-2013, 06:22 PM   #4
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I just wonder where he learned his awesome horsemanship. I mean, three years ago he was a nobody starting a horse or two a week. Now he is a master craftsman. Is training horses really so easy that a lot guys become 30%+ trainers virtually overnight?
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-26-2013, 06:29 PM   #5
speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I just wonder where he learned his awesome horsemanship. I mean, three years ago he was a nobody starting a horse or two a week. Now he is a master craftsman. Is training horses really so easy that a lot guys become 30%+ trainers virtually overnight?
Actually he does know his way around a race horse. Remember him from years ago he was working around his step dad Julian Canet at Calder. I think he spent a few years as assistant to Sam David maybe. With that said his hay and oats have never done a horse so much good. Scary move ups.

Last edited by speed; 07-26-2013 at 06:30 PM.
speed is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-26-2013, 06:31 PM   #6
lamboguy

there are plenty of things that trainers can do to get a quick turnaround on a horse if they are claiming from a weaker trainer.

if they think a horse isn't performing good, they can put the horse on ulcer medication. if the neck is out of place they can work on that too and get fast results.

those guys have a pretty good idea what they can do before they claim the horse.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-26-2013, 07:20 PM   #7
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondman
"12-6-10 Consent Order Issued: Fined $500 FINE PAID 11-22-2010. CHECK #999999 FOR $500.00 NO ACCT LISTED ON CHECK.- JP MORGAN CHASE BANK Consent order signed 10-15-2010. 325 Calder Race Course Horse ROY'S GIRLS Drug Phenylbutazone Sample # 535397 Lab # A461750-HB"

On November 10, 2010, during a routine bam inspection by Inv. Diana Neira and Dennis Badillo, several medications were found in Navarro's unlocked tack room in Bam 5 at Calder Race Course. These medications had no prescription labels affixed as required by rule. Respondent shall pay a fine in the amount of One Hundred Dollars ($100.00). *See State Racing Commission?s official ruling for the complete text regarding the above mentioned incident.

Respondent was the trainer of record for and therefore the absolute insurer of the condition of a thoroughbred named BIBLIONICO at all times material hereto. On February 12, 2011, BIBLIONICO was entered in the 1st race at Tampa Bay Downs. A specimen sample taken from BIBLIONICO at the time of the race subsequently tested positive for hydroxyethyl promazine sulfoxide (a metabolite of acepromazine - a tranquilizer and a class 3 drug). Respondent shall pay a fine in the amount of Five Hundred Dollars ($500.00). *See State Racing Commission's official ruling for the complete text regarding the above mentioned incident.

Trainer Jorge Navarro, having appeared for a hearing on Tuesday, July 27, 2012, Mr. Navarro is fined the sum of one thousand five hundred ($1,500.00) dollars for treating the horse, Pot of Gold, in the receiving barn with Lyte Now (Electrolyte Paste) within twenty-four hours prior to the schedule of his race, necessitating a scratch from the 5th race on Thursday, June 28, 2012.
appears he struggles with the rules
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #8
wiffleball whizz
Dead money

Chemists.com
Rx.com

Amazing what drugs can do

Maybe one of us can take over the racing world by this time next year
wiffleball whizz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-26-2013, 07:30 PM   #9
Cannon shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondman

These are mostly trivial issues.
Cannon shell is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-26-2013, 08:05 PM   #10
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon shell
These are mostly trivial issues.
on their own they are. but it lends one to believe that if he's willing to continue to do these things what else does he do that he hasn't been caught at. It causes speculation deserving or not. It's not what the industry needs that's for sure.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:06 PM   #11
BIG49010

He did ok at Tampa too, I think his percentages have always been decent, he seems to get bet quite a bit. The horse was live on the board, you had to figure horse was going to run in that last race, and favorite was dropping from sky which is tough to bet at a short price in 5k claimer.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:10 PM   #12
wiffleball whizz
Dead money

There is no sugar coating the issue the guy is a chemist....and I
Love the winning by a pole or 2 analogy I though I heard them all in racing
wiffleball whizz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-26-2013, 08:13 PM   #13
Stillriledup
Veteran

Jorge is a big Yankees fan, no wonder he's a WINNER!

http://tampabaydowns.blogspot.com/20...gh-he-has.html
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-26-2013, 08:21 PM   #14
Cannon shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadk66
on their own they are. but it lends one to believe that if he's willing to continue to do these things what else does he do that he hasn't been caught at. It causes speculation deserving or not. It's not what the industry needs that's for sure.
They really dont prove anything other than he may be a little sloppy. It would be like speculating that a person is a major criminal because he has some speeding and parking tickets, not that he has a job that pays him 45k a year and yet he is living in a 2 million dollar home and driving a 100k car.

I get what you are saying but in this instance and on this board unlike most places in racing people reading this thread are gonna get the truth. These violations are trivial. A minute amount of acepromazine, a bute overage, improperly labeled meds and electrolyte paste are relatively meaningless. Hey if people choose to think this means that they have uncovered the secret, well you can lead a horse to water...

I dont think the guy is legit. The numbers dont add up especially when coupled with the unimpressive manner in which the majority of his horses train in the AM.
Cannon shell is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-26-2013, 09:59 PM   #15
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon shell
They really dont prove anything other than he may be a little sloppy. It would be like speculating that a person is a major criminal because he has some speeding and parking tickets, not that he has a job that pays him 45k a year and yet he is living in a 2 million dollar home and driving a 100k car.

I get what you are saying but in this instance and on this board unlike most places in racing people reading this thread are gonna get the truth. These violations are trivial. A minute amount of acepromazine, a bute overage, improperly labeled meds and electrolyte paste are relatively meaningless. Hey if people choose to think this means that they have uncovered the secret, well you can lead a horse to water...

I dont think the guy is legit. The numbers dont add up especially when coupled with the unimpressive manner in which the majority of his horses train in the AM.
I understand to those of us in the industry it's not a big deal. but to the general public it doesn't look good. now granted the majority of the general public doesn't ever see this. I'm not sure if the word I'd use is sloppy. All the years I trained I had zero infractions of any kind. And the last three years, after finally building up a decent barn, I won at 25-30%. And all my horses ever got were bute and lasix. The rest was hard work and close attention to detail. I never felt compelled to cheat. And why would I, I was winning at a pretty good clip. In money was at least 50%. So it can be done.