Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-18-2022, 09:58 AM   #1
tbwinner

Visit to Canterbury Park Weds Night

Made it up to Canterbury for live racing for the first time. My home track is PRM so it was nice seeing some turf racing.

Gotta say-- I like the product they put out, and they get quite a good crowd even for a Wednesday night.
The Track
Admission usually $10 but Wednesday is $5 admission night. Kids are less and under 6 are free.

I brought my 5yo daughter as I try to teach her my more degenerate ways. She is getting the program hip slap down pretty good

We entered just prior to 5pm so got to see them in the paddock. I really like how the entrance leads right into the paddock and saddling ring.

We stayed for 7 races, fueled by pretzels, popcorn, and ice cream. Track prices weren't bad, $5 16oz beer specials, $5 big pretzel and cheese, $3 small popcorn and ice cream.

Some nights it seems they have live racing and between every couple races, they chose people out of the crowd to do trivia or bag tossing or karaoke.

Racing Results
I ended up betting 5 of 9 races. My best of the day Whiskey Plank won the 5th and paid $8.60. Missed the 2nd leg of the double by a neck, but in the 7th I had a nice saver exacta with a 15-1 on top that paid $60.20 for a buck. Three other races I had the "inexacta" which are my selections ran 2nd and 3rd...unfortunately that doesn't pay!

Nice product overall, and I like the 10% takeout on pick 4 and pick 5! Nice to see a track doing that !

Shakopee Area
Lots to do around here and the Twin Cities. We went to Como Zoo which is a free area zoo. Boy, it was crowded but a nice zoo. Stayed at the Holiday Inn Express near the track which was about a 5 minute ride. You could make a family weekend trip out here as there is also the Valleyfair amusement park.

Here are some pictures:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/2dak4tXhxrAEH7XL7

Can't wait to go again!
tbwinner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2022, 10:04 AM   #2
tbwinner

Also MAJOR props to the CBY jockey colony -- they were so friendly and interactive with the kids. Win or lose, they gave high fives to the kids as they dismounted and passed heading into the tunnel to the jocks room. Jock Kelsi Harr stopped to take pics with a couple kids too. Awesome to see
tbwinner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2022, 08:34 PM   #3
BarchCapper

Nice review. We went for the first time last year and loved the atmosphere there. My favorite part in these days of unused grandstands was seeing all these different clumps of people in various nooks and crannies of the grandstand. Reminded me of all the "regulars" with their "spots" in my Aqueduct/Belmont days.
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply