Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-19-2020, 10:46 PM   #1
Immortal6

Jockey Pressure to Quit Racing?

I hope not, but on twitter today Irad and Jose Ortiz announced they will stop riding as did Rajiv Maragh. I may be missing others. Imo, this only allows other riders to pick up mounts they might not have had otherwise, but at the same time it worries me this will put additional strain on tracks to close down.
Immortal6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-19-2020, 11:34 PM   #2
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal6 View Post
I hope not, but on twitter today Irad and Jose Ortiz announced they will stop riding as did Rajiv Maragh. I may be missing others. Imo, this only allows other riders to pick up mounts they might not have had otherwise, but at the same time it worries me this will put additional strain on tracks to close down.

I'd guess that as tracks shut down, there will be plenty of jocks ready and willing to ride, especially at tracks with no spectators.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:37 PM   #3
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
With the upcoming Keeneland meet canceled, they're all just posing as good soldiers....Back in a month or less is the over/under.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-19-2020, 11:43 PM   #4
capitalman

I think only a few tracks will be operating. The minor league tracks scheduled to open in the spring, like Finger Lakes, won't open as scheduled. I imagine with Newsome's new order the California tracks will shut down racing. The horses will have to be exercised with the stables' track residents.

In NY state we're down to on-line & phone betting, since all 3 OTB regions have shut down their branches. Once the handles reach lower points, the tracks will stop running until live betting returns.
capitalman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-19-2020, 11:56 PM   #5
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
With the upcoming Keeneland meet canceled, they're all just posing as good soldiers....Back in a month or less is the over/under.
I think this is a poorly thought out comment.

Jockeys already risk their butts out there every day. Maybe these guys have just decided the additional risk of coming down with a deadly virus which could infect their loved ones isn't worth it. No reason to think anyone is "posing".
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-19-2020, 11:59 PM   #6
GMB@BP

Quote:
the whole country will be shut down shortly....I dont know that they are risking much with the statement.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2020, 12:07 AM   #7
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
I think this is a poorly thought out comment.

Jockeys already risk their butts out there every day. Maybe these guys have just decided the additional risk of coming down with a deadly virus which could infect their loved ones isn't worth it. No reason to think anyone is "posing".
Rajiv is hurting still, has never come fully back from his injury, but gave it his all at GP meet....He needs the time off.

As far as the Ortiz brothers, they are always "posing", wanting the limelight always on them....I think Cordero taught them a bit "too much" about the business....Didn't care for him either, reckless rider with no regard for the colony, just like the Ortiz Brothers.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2020, 01:22 AM   #8
acorn54

fwiw when the sarr virus hit hong kong, they did not race for two years if my source from hong kong is reliable.
not saying it will happen here just that there is precedent.
acorn54 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2020, 07:36 AM   #9
porchy44

Easier decision to make when your the Ortiz Brothers and have $$$.

Tougher decision to make if your a Jockey after every meet, your "bumming a ride to the next track".

Last edited by porchy44; 03-20-2020 at 07:37 AM.
porchy44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2020, 06:27 PM   #10
BIG RED
Son O'War

Thx, I was wondering where they were.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:17 PM   #11
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by acorn54 View Post
fwiw when the sarr virus hit hong kong, they did not race for two years if my source from hong kong is reliable.
not saying it will happen here just that there is precedent.
Its possible but SARS much more deadly with a death rate around 10%.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2020, 07:38 PM   #12
lefty359

plenty of Jocks willing to pick up these guys' mounts.
lefty359 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2020, 07:46 PM   #13
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
the whole country will be shut down shortly....I dont know that they are risking much with the statement.
This is what’s going to happen. A top flight ( Javier) jockey has it and I have a feeling these guys could of been exposed. They may be in quarantine or just want to stay away now. That’s the thing. I last worked on the 18th. Got an e mail Sunday that someone I worked with had it that day. Got a phone call Monday to stay in for 14 days from March 18th. This shit is everywhere . Whatever numbers they put out..... at this point you can multiply them by a lot. The numbers are garbage. 40% walk around not even knowing they carry it and they never get the symptoms

Last edited by burnsy; 03-26-2020 at 07:56 PM.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2020, 08:20 PM   #14
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
This is what’s going to happen. A top flight ( Javier) jockey has it and I have a feeling these guys could of been exposed. They may be in quarantine or just want to stay away now. That’s the thing. I last worked on the 18th. Got an e mail Sunday that someone I worked with had it that day. Got a phone call Monday to stay in for 14 days from March 18th. This shit is everywhere . Whatever numbers they put out..... at this point you can multiply them by a lot. The numbers are garbage. 40% walk around not even knowing they carry it and they never get the symptoms
We aren't Britain, I realize, but there's a model going around the UK that is projecting that 50 percent of the British people have it or are going to get it. Wow.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2020, 08:32 PM   #15
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
We aren't Britain, I realize, but there's a model going around the UK that is projecting that 50 percent of the British people have it or are going to get it. Wow.
That’s why I was laughing at Social Media a couple weeks ago. Everyone is an expert and understands math or statistics. They were posting other flu stats and auto accident stats. They have no concept of projecting future data and sample size. If one avoided television and watched pod casts with actual disease experts there was one guy that studied swabbed throats and said weeks ago this is at times 400,000 times more contagious than Swine Flu. Everything he has predicted isn’t there yet but it’s not over either. This could go like wild fire....hopefully he was wrong. But he predicts 96 million infected
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply