Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Trading The Financial Markets

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.11 average.
Old 05-20-2021, 10:48 PM   #2641
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by geroge.burns99 View Post
Pre market slightly higher

What do you see happening?

Big mover is Carnival Corp.....now I know why i'm getting a card form them every 2 week....think it will ever get back to $64?

What do you guys think about ETF's?
he has done the very same thing a few months ago and was right on the money... he came in on the third Thursday of the month, the day before options expiration.

i would guess there is something in his model calling for a big fall. it worked temporarily the last time, and then the markets went to new highs... but if you were short for about a week you made a nice taste.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-21-2021, 09:38 AM   #2642
Tape Reader

Quote:
Pre market slightly higher

What do you see happening?

Big mover is Carnival Corp.....now I know why i'm getting a card form them every 2 week....think it will ever get back to $64?

What do you guys think about ETF's?
Sharp but short. I see the ES falling about 130 points.
Tape Reader is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2021, 07:44 AM   #2643
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Need some advice guys...

I have 100G in a Chase Managed A/C

Over the last several years I'm getting average 5% / year...

I need a safe investment where I can get money instead of Chase

Any ideas?

thxs
geroge.burns99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2021, 10:24 AM   #2644
lamboguy

Quote:
Need some advice guys...

I have 100G in a Chase Managed A/C

Over the last several years I'm getting an average of 5% / year...

I need a safe investment where I can get money instead of Chase

Any ideas?

thxs
one thing I know for sure, JP Morgan made more than 5% on the money you stuck in that managed account...first of all the financial advisor is getting 1% of your initial money that you put in.. in case you make money he gets 1% of that as well, within the context of those funds are trading fees, and then a management fee on top of the trading and advisory fee.

so in essence what you are doing is gambling that JP Morgan is going to overcome these fees and make you money... I suggest that if you need to gamble with your money, you do it on your own without the expensive so-called expertise of these managed accounts.
Old 05-22-2021, 12:55 PM   #2645
myohmyjustify

It's hard to offer you my best advise since I do not know your personal financial situation, your goals, your needs, both immediate and longer term, and very important, is this a tax advantaged account (IRA/Roth IRA, 401(k), or not.

Do you need money NOW? Next year? Five/ten years down the road?

But since you asked, I suggest you get out of the JP Morgan managed account as soon as possible. The commission to get in, the annual management fees plus any any fees based on the results will slowly and surely make for a happy lifestyle -- the lifestyle of your advisor-broker, not you!

First, open a brokerage account with the largest mutual fund complex in the world, The Vanguard Group. Schwab does a good job as well and along with Vanguard and the two most customer friendly than all the rest, bar none.

Put 75% in a low-cost index fund, such as Total Stock Index (VTSAX) or S&P 500 (VFIAX) and 25% in a Federal Money Market Fund (my fund of choice is VMFXX, which is primarily invested in US Government notes and securities). MM fund returns are near nil now in this low interest rate environment but your funds in there will act as a protective ballast in case of a market meltdown ( and you'll also have money available to invest in the future).

The low fees save investors tens of thousands of dollars, plus, over a lifetime. If you invest $10,000 in a Vanguard 500 or Total Market index fund you'll pay approximately $95 total! Less than $10 per year! I tried checking for the annual fees at numerous Chase funds, but couldn't find it. We can guess why. The difference in costs of a fund that charges 0.04 annual fees like Vanguard and 0.60 or so like Chase is huge over time. Huge.

All of this could be done electronically. Your "friends" at Chase will try hell and high water not to lose you; and they will probably even hit you with fees to close your account. Be prepared to get jabbed for $50 to 100 per account. These firms have no mercy and are no damn good.

PS-- Full disclosure: I worked 20 years at Vanguard setting up 401(k) programs at small and mid sized companies and have been retired 10 years. This advise is commission free ---LOL--- and offered to help you get on a stable and better road to financial success. I have no financial interest in the success of Vanguard, except for any future returns from the funds my family owns.

Good luck.
myohmyjustify is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2021, 02:05 PM   #2646
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by myohmyjustify View Post
It's hard to offer you my best advise since I do not know your personal financial situation, your goals, your needs, both immediate and longer term, and very important, is this a tax advantaged account (IRA/Roth IRA, 401(k), or not.

Do you need money NOW? Next year? Five/ten years down the road?

But since you asked, I suggest you get out of the JP Morgan managed account as soon as possible. The commission to get in, the annual management fees plus any any fees based on the results will slowly and surely make for a happy lifestyle -- the lifestyle of your advisor-broker, not you!

First, open a brokerage account with the largest mutual fund complex in the world, The Vanguard Group. Schwab does a good job as well and along with Vanguard and the two most customer friendly than all the rest, bar none.

Put 75% in a low-cost index fund, such as Total Stock Index (VTSAX) or S&P 500 (VFIAX) and 25% in a Federal Money Market Fund (my fund of choice is VMFXX, which is primarily invested in US Government notes and securities). MM fund returns are near nil now in this low interest rate environment but your funds in there will act as a protective ballast in case of a market meltdown ( and you'll also have money available to invest in the future).

The low fees save investors tens of thousands of dollars, plus, over a lifetime. If you invest $10,000 in a Vanguard 500 or Total Market index fund you'll pay approximately $95 total! Less than $10 per year! I tried checking for the annual fees at numerous Chase funds, but couldn't find it. We can guess why. The difference in costs of a fund that charges 0.04 annual fees like Vanguard and 0.60 or so like Chase is huge over time. Huge.

All of this could be done electronically. Your "friends" at Chase will try hell and high water not to lose you; and they will probably even hit you with fees to close your account. Be prepared to get jabbed for $50 to 100 per account. These firms have no mercy and are no damn good.

PS-- Full disclosure: I worked 20 years at Vanguard setting up 401(k) programs at small and mid sized companies and have been retired 10 years. This advise is commission free ---LOL--- and offered to help you get on a stable and better road to financial success. I have no financial interest in the success of Vanguard, except for any future returns from the funds my family owns.

Good luck.
LAMB.....You need not tell me something I/we all know....

its just hard moving money out when you had it for so long..

MYOHMY.....

I'm 64 ..retired and my wife still works making 200K and she's got at least 6 more years to go...
But dont think I'm sitting pretty ......She doesnt have a dime to her name just debt....about 175k worth ...and my daughter is sucking us dry with whatever she can get from her...I just turn my cheek and watch the horror continue...because its her daughter and shes a kind hearted person.

Anyway your advise is appreciated and will be looked into...

I mentioned ETF's because there are numerous dividend ones that can get up to 5-6-7 % return with a .50% fee...

Any thoughts now?

Thxs so much

GB

Last edited by geroge.burns99; 05-22-2021 at 02:07 PM.
Old 05-22-2021, 02:42 PM   #2647
lamboguy

my advice would be to listen to myohmyjustify. but if you happen to have a 5-year time frame and don't want to gamble, I highly advise you to take a good look at the Sprott Silver Fund (PSLV). I would think that will outperform any index fund and be a lot safer during your wait.

another thing you can do is get hold of a company called Monetary Metals. they have a program that will buy you physical silver and lease it out with a return of 2.2% annually. not only will get paid to hold the silver, but you will participate in any appreciation of the metal. the silver will be held in a vault, the risk is that the company that you lease it to goes belly up... the bulk of their leases go to bullion dealers that sell silver bars. it is very unlikely that they go under in that business. they pay you back in silver and not in cash unless you request it.
Old 05-22-2021, 04:25 PM   #2648
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
my advice would be to listen to myohmyjustify. but if you happen to have a 5-year time frame and don't want to gamble, I highly advise you to take a good look at the Sprott Silver Fund (PSLV). I would think that will outperform any index fund and be a lot safer during your wait.

another thing you can do is get hold of a company called Monetary Metals. they have a program that will buy you physical silver and lease it out with a return of 2.2% annually. not only will get paid to hold the silver, but you will participate in any appreciation of the metal. the silver will be held in a vault, the risk is that the company that you lease it to goes belly up... the bulk of their leases go to bullion dealers that sell silver bars. it is very unlikely that they go under in that business. they pay you back in silver and not in cash unless you request it.
thank you all guys...
Old 05-22-2021, 05:53 PM   #2649
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Maybe seek advice from someone you KNOW knows their shit...ie someone you trust.

Not anonymous folks on a horse racing off-topic board.

That's my advice to you, retread.
Old 05-22-2021, 06:02 PM   #2650
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Maybe seek advice from someone you KNOW knows their shit...ie someone you trust.

Not anonymous folks on a horse racing off-topic board.

That's my advice to you, retread.
Why would people give bad advice?

I figure you have to throw that disclaimer in here

Plus all the people I know have it stuffed in their mattresses
And I know I'm Not getting over on you

Last edited by geroge.burns99; 05-22-2021 at 06:08 PM.
Old 05-26-2021, 05:56 PM   #2651
JoeLong

Famed investor Warren Buffett recently doled out some free advice: Bet on America, and buy index funds. At Berkshire Hathaway’s annual meeting earlier this month, he said: “For most people, the best thing to do is to own the S&P 500 index fund.

The Stock Market should continue to rise. Personally i believe that as long as the US Dollar is the currency of last resort and/or America hasn't fallen to China in war the market will remain profitable.
JoeLong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-27-2021, 02:38 AM   #2652
lamboguy

Uranium

now trading in the $30 range. my very conservative estimate is for it to run to $50, probably a lot higher.. this looks much stronger to me than either gold or silver.

the reason being is that the precious metals need a stock market crash to go parabolic. the stock market may not crash for a long time and that will cap the precious metals to smaller gains.

there are bunches of Uranium miners that are well headed by Cameco Energy, CCJ. but on a chart, they all look pretty stretched to head into them now.
Old 05-27-2021, 02:56 AM   #2653
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

The next 13 hours are going to be a blast....Good times.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-27-2021, 11:41 PM   #2654
lamboguy

my favorite insane stock, MUX, looks like it's about to pop sometime after May options expiration day.

the option writers are going to try to close this stock Friday at max pain. it looks like the best number for max pain is 1.40, 2nd most likely number is 1.50.
Old 05-28-2021, 07:25 AM   #2655
FakeNameChanged

Bitcoin & Cryptos

After the parabolic rise of $BTCUSD in the last year, I'm calling for it not reaching the $60K's level again for 2-1/2 to 3 years. I think it will go to 30K before it goes to the 60's again. If it drops below support at 28.5K, look out. The reddit traders may prove me wrong.