Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Trading The Financial Markets

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.11 average.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:12 PM   #1741
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
The market isn't climbing on emergency funding. That's a false flag tale.

Think about it. The market KNOWS emergency "funding" is absolutely coming. They've known about it for A LONG TIME.

Think about it. The Fed Reserve has done a shitton of stuff in the last couple weeks, including reducing rates to ZERO, and it didn't register one bit in the markets.

Now you think an 11% rise in one day is due to the impending passage of an emergency funding bill? Did they just create this bill yesterday? No.

No way this rise was due to this funding bill.

There are other things at play here.
Other than the stimulus bill? The market was severely oversold technically, but that's about it. Some of it may have been short covering. I don't think anyone is buying that this is the start of a lasting rally.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2020, 06:44 PM   #1742
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist View Post
Other than the stimulus bill? The market was severely oversold technically, but that's about it. Some of it may have been short covering. I don't think anyone is buying that this is the start of a lasting rally.
And the coronavirus keeps on keeping on.Ridiculously emotional market.

Personally, I could live with a market that 5 years from now was still around the 2400-2600 point. Get the amateurs and speculators out, for the next move up.

Just in time for my golden years.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2020, 07:19 PM   #1743
Valuist

Wouldn't it be great to have a market go down 35% in a month, then the market realize all would be ok and we can ride upward, at discounted prices?

If it was only that simple. We can go down 35%, then up 20% then back down to retest lows, then 10% rally, then retest the lows. And on and on it goes. If this is a secular bear market, figure on it lasting for 2 years.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:36 PM   #1744
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist View Post
But why was it selling off?

Fear. Fear of what the economic damage done by the virus was doing and might/will do going forward.

Any stimulus bill isn't going to help much, all things considered. It's a short term bandaid.

I think what you saw today was some of the FEAR leaving the market. VIX was also down again...

Why is some of the fear leaving? It's not due to a stimulus bill.

I think the market is signaling that we might have turned the corner on the virus. I think Trump's words about easing restrictions provided a huge boost...doesn't matter if the news outlets are hammering him for it.

The market really does know best.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:55 PM   #1745
Valuist

Quote:

Fear. Fear of what the economic damage done by the virus was doing and might/will do going forward.

Any stimulus bill isn't going to help much, all things considered. It's a short term bandaid.

I think what you saw today was some of the FEAR leaving the market. VIX was also down again...

I think the market is signaling that we might have turned the corner on the virus. I think Trump's words about easing restrictions provided a huge boost...doesn't matter if the news outlets are hammering him for it.

I agree with your last sentence. Whether the stimulus bill does much is more of a long term issue; in the short term, I believe "they" feel it will help. The VXX may have been down today, but it's still near 50. This was likely a one day deadcat bounce off oversold conditions. I do believe you are right that the market will know when we've turned the corner before any of us know; but I'd be very surprised if that event just happened.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:35 PM   #1746
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Trump is Going to Lockdown and then Unleash

Quote:
I think Trump's words about easing restrictions provided a huge boost...doesn't matter if the news outlets are hammering him for it.

The markets will be the least of anyone's concerns. It's all been a fear induced "flu virus" panic diversion, from what's really about to take place.

What do you think will happen between now and Easter Sunday?....Holy crap, did the virus disappear? Did the MSM surrender to Trump? Did the Pope or QEII die yet? How many False Flag events are going to happen around the globe?...This has been a silent war so far, but it's about to get real LOUD...

Military on full alert, National Guard already deployed in numerous states...Better lock it all down now, that way there'll be no school or church shootings, sports or concert venue massacres(These all have been done already). Stop all domestic flights as well, and jam all drones from flying, no matter how small.(Waiting on these)

There's a reason for the Lockdown, it's much easier to capture the enemy who can't escape, unless they've already fled the country(Australia and New Zealand come to mind)….

Last edited by ReplayRandall; 03-24-2020 at 10:49 PM.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2020, 08:42 AM   #1747
mikesal57
Veteran

Buying Cruise stocks again....

Where is the government getting all this money to give????

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (91.2 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by mikesal57; 03-25-2020 at 08:44 AM.
mikesal57 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2020, 09:30 AM   #1748
Valuist

Quote:

I'm starting to think you may be right. Yes, NYC is a nightmare but death rate still not high. When you look at Seattle and northern CA considering how things started out, I thought they would be much worse now. When one looks at annual death numbers by flu in the US each year, we are a long ways from that so far.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:31 AM   #1749
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesal57 View Post

now that is a pretty good question! none of us have the answer to this. when an individual owes a creditor and can't pay, the creditor tries to put his hands on any assets the debtor has. if the debtor owns a car or a house they go right after it, if he has money in the bank he grabs that. i suppose the same thing is with this country. this country has lots of assets like land and real estate they can use to payoff what they owe. its nothing new for countries to forfeit land after world wars. the president has declared the corona virus as a war.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2020, 10:03 AM   #1750
Valuist

Quote:

That is real interesting. If you have a real, real long time perspective, you should do quite well.

I consider the Cruise ship stocks now like Chipotle after their food poisoning incidents. For the next 18 months after the incidents, Chipotle stock was toxic. I remember one day, out of the blue, deciding to give them a try. It was better than ever before. Others must've agreed. The past couple years, Chipotle was one of the top performers in the S & P 500.

The lesson here is perception takes a while to change. Once a thought is in people's heads, something big has to happen to change it. It is going to take a long time for the public to not associate cruise ships with floating germ receptacles. Eventually they will, but I'd guess that's two years away.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:03 PM   #1751
Valuist

Bill Ackman's firm made over $2 billion in short positions the last 5 weeks. They covered their last short position on Monday.

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/bi...urn-just-three
Old 03-25-2020, 03:04 PM   #1752
FakeNameChanged

Quote:

Printing Presses?
Both Cruise lines and Chipotle fit well into the Contrarian thread too. Although in my life time, we've not experienced anything comparable to the current crisis caused by a pandemic. Here's something I looked for during the last big bailout, which companies refused to take the govt. money when it was available. I have doubts any will refuse to take it this time.
FakeNameChanged is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2020, 03:09 PM   #1753
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Bottom-line, you have to EAT, you don't have to CRUISE...Get real...
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2020, 03:32 PM   #1754
Ocala Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeNameChanged View Post

Printing Presses?

And why is this referred to as a stimulus bill? It will stimulate nothing, and should be referred to as a rescue or bailout bill.
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2020, 05:43 PM   #1755
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
Bottom-line, you have to EAT, you don't have to CRUISE...Get real...
When you're on a cruise though, it seems all you do is eat.

But your point is well taken.The "Big 3" American based cruise lines (Carnival, Royal Caribbean and Norwegian),only 5% of their employees are American citizens.And all of their ships are registered in foreign countries,especially Panama and Liberia,to skirt USA maritime and labor regulations.Yes a lot of service vendors in the ports are dependent on cruise lines but you can say that about any industry.I say give the help to business who were directly affected by the various government orders to shut down and to laid off employees.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply