Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-01-2022, 09:09 PM   #1
1st time lasix

My week at Saratoga

🎩Arrived Tuesday evening… had dinner at Sperry’s .. after-dinner drink at both 15 Church and 9 Maple. The vibe downtown during track season is like a big block party. Busy but not scary ….at least prior to eleven. 😎Early each morning… trackside watching the magnificent equine athletes training up close. Observing all the trainers, assistants and riders do their hard work. Something about being there very early as the sun rises is soothing to my soul. The weather was truly glorious at that time of the morning. 🐎 Experienced the afternoon racing from the fence… the grandstand…the clubhouse… a private box….and the paddock. Enjoyed seeing the decked out ladies in their fancy hats. Tried various concessions Bought a couple souvenirs 💰Three winning days at the windows …and two days reluctantly donating to the pools. Laughs, racing drama, cheering and some quality time with my spouse and local friends. Siro’s…. Hatties….Cooperstown bar….Marino pizza. Back home now -without having to check in to a Betty Ford clinic! 🍻🍸. Already hoping I am able to go again next year, 👍🏻
1st time lasix is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2022, 05:46 AM   #2
HottalkersinKY

sounds like a nice experience hopefully one day that might just be me.
ty for the thread
HottalkersinKY is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2022, 06:53 AM   #3
westernmassbob

Great to see someone taking advantage of all that Saratoga Springs has to offer. I can’t tell you the number of people that drive in for that day that have no clue what they are missing out on. Speaking of restaurants the guy with the camera in the winners circle ( I forgot his name ) speaks very highly of “ The Wishing Well” restaurant. After asking several people about it they concur it’s one of the best restaurants in the area. I’ve never been so at some point I will try it.
westernmassbob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2022, 08:57 AM   #4
Pigpen

That is what it is all about. I have never been to Saratoga but that is how I would enjoy it the most. Thanks for sharing.
Pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2022, 09:50 AM   #5
Suff
Beat up 💪

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st time lasix View Post
🎩Arrived Tuesday evening… had dinner at Sperry’s .. after-dinner drink at both 15 Church and 9 Maple. The vibe downtown during track season is like a big block party. Busy but not scary ….at least prior to eleven. 😎Early each morning… trackside watching the magnificent equine athletes training up close. Observing all the trainers, assistants and riders do their hard work. Something about being there very early as the sun rises is soothing to my soul. The weather was truly glorious at that time of the morning. 🐎 Experienced the afternoon racing from the fence… the grandstand…the clubhouse… a private box….and the paddock. Enjoyed seeing the decked out ladies in their fancy hats. Tried various concessions Bought a couple souvenirs 💰Three winning days at the windows …and two days reluctantly donating to the pools. Laughs, racing drama, cheering and some quality time with my spouse and local friends. Siro’s…. Hatties….Cooperstown bar….Marino pizza. Back home now -without having to check in to a Betty Ford clinic! 🍻🍸. Already hoping I am able to go again next year, 👍🏻
Great stuff, thanks for the cliff notes. Saratoga , not for everyone, but a spiritual experience for many.
Old 08-02-2022, 03:49 PM   #6
Brass Hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernmassbob View Post
Great to see someone taking advantage of all that Saratoga Springs has to offer. I can’t tell you the number of people that drive in for that day that have no clue what they are missing out on. Speaking of restaurants the guy with the camera in the winners circle ( I forgot his name ) speaks very highly of “ The Wishing Well” restaurant. After asking several people about it they concur it’s one of the best restaurants in the area. I’ve never been so at some point I will try it.
We ate at the Wishing Well the first weekend; usually eat there at least once during the meet. Pricey for us, we eat at the diners around Albany or the Ripe Tomato. Crowded, excellent service, food is good, wish they would bring back the raspberry pie.
Brass Hat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2022, 04:42 PM   #7
andicap

Once ate at Lillian's back in the '90s and George Steinbrenner was in the house.
Old 08-02-2022, 05:51 PM   #8
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by andicap View Post
Once ate at Lillian's back in the '90s and George Steinbrenner was in the house.
They are both in the same place as of now:-)
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2022, 09:10 PM   #9
westernmassbob

Speaking of restaurants can anyone recommend a seafood restaurant for fried clams and lobster around the Saratoga area ? My uncle was always a fan of the Weathervane years ago but that’s another one gone goodbye.
westernmassbob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2022, 10:15 PM   #10
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernmassbob View Post
Speaking of restaurants can anyone recommend a seafood restaurant for fried clams and lobster around the Saratoga area ? My uncle was always a fan of the Weathervane years ago but that’s another one gone goodbye.
Eddie F's on Clinton St. - Eddie Fazzone a horse owner too who was recently interviewed on Steve Byk's show. Owner of Lobsta, Chowda and others in keeping with the theme. I have not had the opportunity to eat there, but those I know who have speak well of it.

Last edited by BarchCapper; 08-02-2022 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Disclaimer
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2022, 06:58 AM   #11
Pigpen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarchCapper View Post
Eddie F's on Clinton St. - Eddie Fazzone a horse owner too who was recently interviewed on Steve Byk's show. Owner of Lobsta, Chowda and others in keeping with the theme. I have not had the opportunity to eat there, but those I know who have speak well of it.
Hey Barch, do you ever cross the river for adult beverages? I am from Scranton.
Pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2022, 10:26 AM   #12
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigpen View Post
Hey Barch, do you ever cross the river for adult beverages? I am from Scranton.
I haven't - but I could! One of my church members lives in Scranton. I completed the 5k distance of the Brewster Memorial last year - though I did very little running <G>.
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2022, 02:41 PM   #13
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st time lasix View Post
Nice. Might I ad walking up North Broadway from Congress Park to the Skidmore college.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2022, 01:58 AM   #14
BMustang

I understand that one of my favorite places for breakfast and often dinner - The Malta Diner - has also gone over the rainbow.
This is very surprising since it was a bustling, horsey kind of place with good food for a reasonable price.
Too bad!!!
BMustang is offline   Reply With Quote Reply