Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-22-2022, 06:29 AM   #31
geroge.burns99
Veteran

I was also shocked to hear John I make the calls at Saratoga...

He is way from being a top caller , why do you think that he's been at NY all these years...because no one wants him...

NY always wants a top race caller ......

until now.....

I'm glad twitter is bashing him

NYRA should be ashamed!!
geroge.burns99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2022, 06:38 AM   #32
Brisk Urging
Veteran

Larry calls races for NBC of course it was a money isssue
Brisk Urging is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2022, 08:51 AM   #33
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
You have the facts. I'm waiting for you to actually tell us the two salaries. You must know them. If you don't reveal them, why should anyone here believe you when you say my statements are BS?

Come on Andy, tell us what you know! Educate us!
Yes, that's what employees do, give out private information on internet message boards.

Let me get right on that.

You're such a great lawyer.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2022, 10:21 AM   #34
Bustin Stones

While you're giving our info that will get you canned, could you also give out picks on bad horses intentionally and then laugh about it on air? That would be great. Thanks.
Bustin Stones is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2022, 12:26 PM   #35
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
Yes, that's what employees do, give out private information on internet message boards.

Let me get right on that.

You're such a great lawyer.
I obviously know you can't. My point is, since you can't , you shouldn't be accusing people making obvious points about their salaries of being full of it.

You really shouldn't make public statements, at all when you can't provide any details. Nobody believes you when you do.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2022, 10:10 PM   #36
the little guy

Quote:
I obviously know you can't. My point is, since you can't , you shouldn't be accusing people making obvious points about their salaries of being full of it.

You really shouldn't make public statements, at all when you can't provide any details. Nobody believes you when you do.
I can tell people you're full of it. Much better than them believing you when you're pretty much always wrong.

Don't worry, you're hardly the only one here.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2022, 10:19 PM   #37
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
I think NYRA's employment of Imbriale proves my point about race-callers, which is even if fans enjoy listening to them, they aren't really important to the product. I assume NYRA's moving from Collmus to Imbriale made sense for them financially, and that's all that matters.

Having said that, Collmus may be the best I've ever heard.

And the other thing about this is you can be sentimental about particular voices. For instance, I understand some people don't really like Vic (including one person in this thread), but I associate his voice with Hollywood Park, wafting over what was often sadly a fairly empty grandstand after the last race and rattling off all the legendary horses who had raced there as part of his sign-offs. And I miss that, as I miss Hollywood Park.
Ditto. Some of the last memories of my departed dad were playing Hollywood park almost every card for a couple of years together. He was living with me after a lung cancer diagnosis. He was the one who told me about TVG right after he moved in. It was TVG’s first year.

I also remember Vic calling some of my greatest scores at Hollywood. Some fun it was…….
Old 07-23-2022, 06:52 AM   #38
Sheffwed

Sadly

Johnny I is fine for Aqueduct, but that's about it

Really not cutting it

other recent great announcers include Dan Loiselle at Woodbine (very badly missed), Peter Berry at Mountaineer, and nice to hear Trevor at Del Mar yesterday, he sounds like he's not well, too bad, but that voice

the recent rise of Colonial handle can at least be partly attributed to the great job their announcing team is doing to be sure

I love Jess and Jason at Colonial, that's always a must watch start to finish, if announcers are important, there's a great example - they make TVG completely non relevant while they are on the air (much as the great Mark Patterson of course also does at the Mountain), and perhaps this is the future of horse racing TV, individual channels per track livestreamed

and the production at ASD has helped their turnover, regardless of the quality of the racing being unbelievably laughable

NYRA Live does a nice job to be sure, always appreciated - it's easy to laugh at Andy's silly picks (like that no chance Joseph O'Brien horse in the 1st at Saratoga yesterday, no way that horse would have the necessary speed to compete) but is that really useful "expertise" one has to ask or just a distraction - you don't get that at Colonial or the Mountain

Last edited by Sheffwed; 07-23-2022 at 06:53 AM.
Sheffwed is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2022, 07:02 AM   #39
geroge.burns99
Veteran

I have a question....

If John I is the goto guy now...

Who's backing him up?????
Old 07-23-2022, 07:06 AM   #40
Bustin Stones

Quote:
Originally Posted by geroge.burns99 View Post
I have a question....

I think it's Anthony Stabile.
Old 07-23-2022, 07:48 AM   #41
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustin Stones View Post
I think it's Anthony Stabile.
never heard him....any good?
Old 07-23-2022, 08:22 AM   #42
Bustin Stones

NYRA has the best horses, jockeys and trainers in America. You need an audio feed for this?
Old 07-23-2022, 08:29 AM   #43
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by geroge.burns99 View Post
I have a question....

This past winter, with the race days at Parx not conflicting, Chris Griffin filled in a few times.
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2022, 08:35 AM   #44
Parkview_Pirate

Quote:
NYRA has the best horses, jockeys and trainers in America. You need an audio feed for this?
Fair question. I was living in Lexington back in the days when Keeneland had no announcer. Mixed feelings on the topic. It was easy to get shut out if you weren't paying attention. It was easy to miss the start of the race if you were busy handicapping the next. It required being close to a TV, or up on the roof with binoculars to get a decent view going down the backstretch. A lot of fans missed out on exactly what was going on, unless they were a regular (yeah, I know, they were mostly Kentucky fans, but not all were up to speed on what's what in the sport of racing). A horse making a sharp close out of the pack wasn't always recognized by the crowd until they passed the finish line.

OTH, I liked the quiet, and the how the buzz of the crowd would pick up during the race, and not be drowned out by a yeller.

Keeneland has a great announcer now (Kurt Becker), and I don't think you'd find much support to go back to the "good old days". Not sure how that would play out at NYRA, but I'd guess the resistance would be there.
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2022, 08:45 AM   #45
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
Didn't fair well in Football , nor will in horse racing..

Need a "good" announcer.....not just an announcer

They actually make watching a race enjoyable....

But some try , like making you think a horse flying down the stretch

is gonna catch the leader and he losses by 4 lengths

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: