Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 09-09-2021, 12:59 PM   #16
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Well after 6 months of trying to get this done......and running again...... one of the members here in this thread helped me work it out. I have it up and running again. FANTASTIC!

You know who you are....we had a few email glitches and google drive hiccups but your help was what fixed it........and our discussion about why it's asking "me" for the CD was the thing that solved the puzzle.

I received the exact same files I already had compared them and some were size different and some were just plain missing from my set. I suspected corruption.

I tried installing from the files sent to me. Got the same message. ........hmmm......why me? why do I need the cd?

I then decided to create another user on my machine (win10)

restarted and ran the install from the files sent to me.

Bingo! It worked. My credentials from 2010 still worked and I was happy as hell. So it was something to do with "me" and my files as the other user.

I went back to the original winlogin/user and deleted every stinking Equisim file I could find. I noticed there were a bunch of dupes too.......corruption on install? who knows?

I rebooted the machine and ran the install on my normal user account and Bingo! It worked. Didn't ask for the cd.

Between the 2 of us we solved it. Some new copies of files and the discussion as to why me....... ??? got me to where I got it installed.

I also received some help from a few others and they were on the right track too........ once again cherish the small victories and thank you to all.
You got Ver 6 or 5 working?
geroge.burns99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-09-2021, 01:20 PM   #17
JoeLong

JR I'm glad that it has all worked out for you. Now we understand and can help others get back to running Equsim is there any chance of a users group forming again? I had started teaching myself FV scripts but I know there is much more to learn which a users group could address.

I am toying with subscribing to jcapper silver to create the drf type files, have you had any experience with these files? My current understanding is you can't mix jcapper and drf in the same Profiler database due to some differences in index type numbers like the Power figure.

Should we consider continuing this conversation privately?

Regards.
JoeLong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-09-2021, 01:48 PM   #18
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by geroge.burns99 View Post
You got Ver 6 or 5 working?
6 seems to be working great.
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-09-2021, 01:59 PM   #19
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLong View Post
JR I'm glad that it has all worked out for you. Now we understand and can help others get back to running Equsim is there any chance of a users group forming again? I had started teaching myself FV scripts but I know there is much more to learn which a users group could address.

I am toying with subscribing to jcapper silver to create the drf type files, have you had any experience with these files? My current understanding is you can't mix jcapper and drf in the same Profiler database due to some differences in index type numbers like the Power figure.

Should we consider continuing this conversation privately?

Regards.
I don’t play enough (I’m in Texas) to jump back in full throttle with Equisim. But when I do (big days….Breeders cup etc) I use Equisim mostly for generating bris pp’s from .drf files and toying with the simulator. I started early on with Equisim around 2002-3 I think. So I have been thru it from the beginning.

I don’t use the formulater because for several years I used jcapper for that kind of stuff. I think the two together work very well. Lots of nice long shots over the years using the two together.

I think you’re on the right track. I’m just 2-3 day a year player now. No more racing forms sticking out of my hip pocket 6 days a week.
Old 09-09-2021, 03:09 PM   #20
Kbatch57

I am looking to purchase a licensed version of equisim.
I was able to download the Demo which is version 6. 0. 0. 19.

I am not sure how the licensing works since I have not previously owned the program. I would assume that the same license is good through the version history. Or was it licensed based on the version?

Feel free to email or PM me.

Thanks!
Kbatch57 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-09-2021, 04:23 PM   #21
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbatch57 View Post
I am looking to purchase a licensed version of equisim.
I was able to download the Demo which is version 6. 0. 0. 19.

I am not sure how the licensing works since I have not previously owned the program. I would assume that the same license is good through the version history. Or was it licensed based on the version?

Feel free to email or PM me.

Thanks!
I guess you could try to contact Nathan.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/nathan-miserocchi-19143728/

Thru linkedin?

nobody else can sell you a licensed copy
Old 09-09-2021, 05:50 PM   #22
Kbatch57

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
I guess you could try to contact Nathan.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/nathan-miserocchi-19143728/

Thru linkedin?

nobody else can sell you a licensed copy
I sent him an email through Linkedin.

Doesn't look like his Linkedin Profile has any activity, so chances of it getting to him are pretty slim.

Maybe I will get lucky

Thanks for providing me his Linkedin information.

Take care!
Old 09-09-2021, 09:52 PM   #23
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbatch57 View Post
I sent him an email through Linkedin.

Doesn't look like his Linkedin Profile has any activity, so chances of it getting to him are pretty slim.

Maybe I will get lucky

Thanks for providing me his Linkedin information.

Take care!
Google is your friend
Old 09-13-2021, 01:29 PM   #24
Kbatch57

Hi,

Has anyone attempted to use HDW Data in EquiSim? Working with the Demo and it would be a lot easier if you could Auto download the files.

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2021, 01:58 PM   #25
JoeLong

Yes, a few years back I tried it for about a month. From my experience Bris and Jcapper files did not mix well in regards to the Profiler. The power numbers in Jcapper files are scaled to a lower number. So to me it would seem that picking one exclusive data file vendor would be the way forward.

Of course the other issue is with HDW files is the extra steps and time necessary to convert those into files which can be read natively by Equisim. Either way it is a commitment. In the early days Nathan was making Profiler databases which you could buy, relieving you from that daily drudgery connected with keeping up a database, today you are on your own.

If you ask me the ideal thing would be for a few players from across different racing areas share databases with others, which should not violate any copyright issues since the DRF files are never shared.

Last edited by JoeLong; 09-13-2021 at 01:59 PM.
Old 09-13-2021, 02:52 PM   #26
Kbatch57

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the reply.

Regards!
Old 09-13-2021, 03:46 PM   #27
Kbatch57

Quote:
Yes, a few years back I tried it for about a month. From my experience Bris and Jcapper files did not mix well in regards to the Profiler. The power numbers in Jcapper files are scaled to a lower number. So to me it would seem that picking one exclusive data file vendor would be the way forward.

Of course the other issue is with HDW files is the extra steps and time necessary to convert those into files which can be read natively by Equisim. Either way it is a commitment. In the early days Nathan was making Profiler databases which you could buy, relieving you from that daily drudgery connected with keeping up a database, today you are on your own.

If you ask me the ideal thing would be for a few players from across different racing areas share databases with others, which should not violate any copyright issues since the DRF files are never shared.
Joe,
I sent you a private message as well.

Regards!
Old 09-14-2021, 05:37 PM   #28
Kbatch57

Hi,
I am trying to setup and configure the EquiSim Demo which has a 21 day limit and can only store 75 Races in a Profiler Database.

Does any one have any tips as far as configuring and setting up the program (best practices) is concerned?

For example should you create more than one Database. Perhaps one for Dirt Races and one for Turf Races or one for Sprints and Routes? What are the best settings to use when setting up the Databases?

For the Profiler Preferences, do you stick to the default filters? Do you change any of the number values under what Dominant Means?

Would like to be able to get it setup and configured, so that I could spend some time learning the Program and testing it out with real data.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to take this offline, please feel free to email or pm me.

Thanks!
Old 09-15-2021, 10:19 AM   #29
JoeLong

Too bad the Equisim forum is no longer in existence much of what you are struggling through was discussed there... I can only speak from my on-again, off-again limited experience.

Database construction and maintenance if done right has the potential to keep your handicapping in the zone, which in today's world all too often puts you on the favorite. The software also has a component which simulates the race, but most folks found the power to be in construction their own output from the Formula View which allowed for combining factors from information within the race file.

The demo version was not intended to build Profiles it's too limited and as far as I know due to the time required keeping more than one profile per year was bridge too far, I know it was for me. The few times a year I still used it was either the Simulator or the Formula View, I abandoned Profiles when I could no longer purchase them directly from Nathen.
Old 09-15-2021, 10:43 AM   #30
Kbatch57

Quote:
Too bad the Equisim forum is no longer in existence much of what you are struggling through was discussed there... I can only speak from my on-again, off-again limited experience.

Database construction and maintenance if done right has the potential to keep your handicapping in the zone, which in today's world all too often puts you on the favorite. The software also has a component which simulates the race, but most folks found the power to be in construction their own output from the Formula View which allowed for combining factors from information within the race file.

The demo version was not intended to build Profiles it's too limited and as far as I know due to the time required keeping more than one profile per year was bridge too far, I know it was for me. The few times a year I still used it was either the Simulator or the Formula View, I abandoned Profiles when I could no longer purchase them directly from Nathen.
Hi Joe,

Thanks for the reply.

I could see where it would take some time to obtain enough Data to create the Profiles for each Track and for whatever filtering you would want to do.

For the out of the box formula views included with the program is their one that would be good for a beginner to start out with?

Thanks!