Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 04-23-2021, 08:52 AM   #1
sbcaris

is there more speed in this derby?

Does this derby contain more speed than the last 8 Derbies?
sbcaris is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-23-2021, 09:51 AM   #2
BlueChip@DRF
Random Numbers Generator

Location: In the grandstand looking under the seats for tickets or food
KD winners PPs and Charts from 2000-2018

I'm not sure if you want to count the 2020 Kentucky Derby as it was run "out of season".
Old 04-23-2021, 11:22 AM   #3
f2tornado

I don't think it has more speed. The Brisnet E1 and E2 figures for this group as a whole are borderline pathetic compared to previous renewals. It does have a lack of P and S types which adds a unique capping flavor and potentially makes the draw a little more important than usual.
f2tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-23-2021, 12:01 PM   #4
BlueChip@DRF
Random Numbers Generator

Location: In the grandstand looking under the seats for tickets or food
Other than Caddo River, it would look like "lead by default".
Old 04-23-2021, 01:29 PM   #5
boys at tosconova

half the field could be on the engine early for up close position. that might translate into going faster. but none of the top favs have to be on the lead as well, and any of them could be if they wanted to. at least 1 if not more of them will get a good up close trip.

hard to really count on a fast pace and many horses tiring up front. especially more so that you don't know which one could be affected. many horses should be lined up and each will hope they can outfinish the horses in front of him.

Last edited by boys at tosconova; 04-23-2021 at 01:41 PM.
boys at tosconova is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-23-2021, 11:57 PM   #6
burnsy
self medicated

I think it’s a good question. With the defections there are some low point horses that drew in there’s even a couple high point horses that don’t look great. That adds up to some that may be desperate. Before the point system a few or one of those would just go. I mean , years ago there were some that would be pretty much rabbits. No chance but they go setting up the melt down and more open results. Lately , the favorites with tactical speed have been able to script this race . Last year may not count but it was a two horse race. Some years before that it was a one horse race although they took one of those down . The mad scramble for the lead is rare now. Maybe this year?
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2021, 12:22 AM   #7
boys at tosconova

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
I think it’s a good question. With the defections there are some low point horses that drew in there’s even a couple high point horses that don’t look great. That adds up to some that may be desperate. Before the point system a few or one of those would just go. I mean , years ago there were some that would be pretty much rabbits. No chance but they go setting up the melt down and more open results. Lately , the favorites with tactical speed have been able to script this race . Last year may not count but it was a two horse race. Some years before that it was a one horse race although they took one of those down . The mad scramble for the lead is rare now. Maybe this year?
i hate saying "anything can happen". but when you possibly have half the field wanting position all it takes is a couple of them getting greedy and wanting to advance more than they should early.. i don't think that will happen, but there's always a chance.

you have to realize every year it seems like half the field doesn't even show up as well.

i think the boat race tradition continues. and if a price comes in you likely won't have that horse. it's never the best closer or the one you pick.

even if eq doesn't win the other horses are close to him to the point it wont be an upset
boys at tosconova is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2021, 06:11 PM   #8
burnsy
self medicated

I agree and feel the same way. It’s been the trend. But many times I think something like that in this game and get burned. Just like you said. It will be one I would of never liked . I call those girlfriend and wife horses. She will bet names , colors , anything . She hit Bourbonic a few weeks ago. I sat there with nada.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2021, 07:05 AM   #9
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
I call those girlfriend and wife horses. She will bet names , colors , anything . She hit Bourbonic a few weeks ago. I sat there with nada.
I hear ya, bro'.

rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2021, 07:50 AM   #10
Andy Asaro

Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2021, 08:43 AM   #11
f2tornado

No CR further supports the lack of real speed in this renewal. I believe we're down to three that had a last out Brisnet E1 and/or E2 of 100+: RYW, SS, and MS. One of these types almost always hits the tri.
Old 04-25-2021, 08:59 AM   #12
Sparky13

Question

I am too lazy to look, but how many of the Derby horses have Beyers at 100 or above?
Sparky13 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2021, 09:37 AM   #13
f2tornado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky13 View Post
I am too lazy to look, but how many of the Derby horses have Beyers at 100 or above?
Look here.
Old 04-25-2021, 10:34 AM   #14
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

That list looks pathetic, compared to one from 10-15 years ago or more. You can put a hat over the top six; top ten with a slightly larger hat. That really narrows it down.

rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2021, 02:04 PM   #15
capitalman

With Caddo River out Rock Your World will lead them wire to wire. Look for Dynamic One to clunk up late for 2nd & complete a nice exacta.
capitalman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply