Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-30-2017, 07:07 PM   #721
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran
 
Lemon Drop Husker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 11,474
WOW!

Only read one page, and this is part II?

Lemon Drop Husker is offline  
Old 03-30-2017, 08:31 PM   #722
boxcar
Registered User
 
boxcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 45,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
See below.

So you agree it's meaningless.

So you are opposed to Repug plans to eliminate Social Security.

The ancients believed here were many gods. The Greeks and Romans thought there were few. The Jews thought there was only one. The Christians bumped that back up to three. I'm three gods ahead of you.
Logically, the quote should be totally meaningless to you because you're quoting someone who is a non-existent entity in your mind or world.

And you don't know the bible either. The Tri-Unity of God is taught in the OT, as well as in the New.

And what does SS have to do with this discussion? Another of your non sequiturs?
__________________
Consistent profits can only be made on the basis of analysis that is far from obvious to the majority. - anonymous guru
boxcar is offline  
Old 03-30-2017, 09:56 PM   #723
Actor
Librocubicularist
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 10,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Logically, the quote should be totally meaningless to you because you're quoting someone who is a non-existent entity in your mind or world.
I'm quoting an unknown author from about 70 C.E. at the earliest. Just because I quote Shakespeare does not mean I subscribe to the idea that Hamlet existed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
And you don't know the bible either. The Tri-Unity of God is taught in the OT, as well as in the New.
So what? It's still a Christian doctrine which is all that I said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
And what does SS have to do with this discussion? Another of your non sequiturs?
You're the one who brought politics into the thread in post #703.
__________________
Sapere aude
Actor is offline  
Old 03-30-2017, 10:19 PM   #724
boxcar
Registered User
 
boxcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 45,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
I'm quoting an unknown author from about 70 C.E. at the earliest. Just because I quote Shakespeare does not mean I subscribe to the idea that Hamlet existed.
So what? It's still a Christian doctrine which is all that I said.
You're the one who brought politics into the thread in post #703.
Good grief, Actor. Learn to read already and quit responding with ridiculous replies. I had no idea that the bible had one playwright and that this non-existent Jesus was the playwright's star fictional character.

Also, since the doctrine of the Trinity is NOT unique to the NT, this must mean, logically, that it's a thoroughly Jewish doctrine -- rooted in Judaism -- and because all parts of the bible harmonize with each other, it stands to reason this Jewish doctrine would be embraced by first century Christians who for the most part were Jews.

And, yes, I brought politics into this thread, but not social security. The topic I broached was socialism and the welfare state.

Have a nice night. Try to get some rest. I think you need it.
__________________
Consistent profits can only be made on the basis of analysis that is far from obvious to the majority. - anonymous guru
boxcar is offline  
Old 03-30-2017, 10:34 PM   #725
Actor
Librocubicularist
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 10,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Good grief, Actor. Learn to read already and quit responding with ridiculous replies. I had no idea that the bible had one playwright and that this non-existent Jesus was the playwright's star fictional character.
Equivocating again I perceive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Also, since the doctrine of the Trinity is NOT unique to the NT, this must mean, logically, that it's a thoroughly Jewish doctrine -- rooted in Judaism -- and because all parts of the bible harmonize with each other, it stands to reason this Jewish doctrine would be embraced by first century Christians who for the most part were Jews.
I have Jewish friends. I'll ask them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
And, yes, I brought politics into this thread, ...
Why? Aren't there enough political threads on PA already?
__________________
Sapere aude

Last edited by Actor; 03-30-2017 at 10:37 PM.
Actor is offline  
Old 03-30-2017, 10:58 PM   #726
LottaKash
Registered User
 
LottaKash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
Equivocating again I perceive.
I have Jewish friends. I'll ask them.
Why? Aren't there enough political threads on PA already?
Boxcar, Actor is playing you again with his silly little program...

You don't see that..?..
__________________
.
"Cursed be the man who puts his trust in man" - Jer 17:5 (KJV)
LottaKash is offline  
Old 03-31-2017, 12:55 PM   #727
boxcar
Registered User
 
boxcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 45,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by LottaKash View Post
Boxcar, Actor is playing you again with his silly little program...

You don't see that..?..
Yeah...that's what he does, since he rarely has anything of substance to say.
__________________
Consistent profits can only be made on the basis of analysis that is far from obvious to the majority. - anonymous guru
boxcar is offline  
Old 04-15-2017, 12:07 PM   #728
Actor
Librocubicularist
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 10,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Also, since the doctrine of the Trinity is NOT unique to the NT, this must mean, logically, that it's a thoroughly Jewish doctrine -- rooted in Judaism -- and because all parts of the bible harmonize with each other, it stands to reason this Jewish doctrine would be embraced by first century Christians who for the most part were Jews.
My Jewish friends say you're wrong.
__________________
Sapere aude
Actor is offline  
Old 04-15-2017, 12:57 PM   #729
boxcar
Registered User
 
boxcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 45,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
My Jewish friends say you're wrong.
Your "Jewish friends" are ignorant of the OT scriptures. No surprises here since most of Christ's detractors, who were contemporaneous with him, were equally as ignorant.
__________________
Consistent profits can only be made on the basis of analysis that is far from obvious to the majority. - anonymous guru
boxcar is offline  
Old 04-15-2017, 01:54 PM   #730
Actor
Librocubicularist
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 10,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Your "Jewish friends" are ignorant of the OT scriptures. No surprises here since most of Christ's detractors, who were contemporaneous with him, were equally as ignorant.
The doctrine of the trinity dates from the 2nd century at the earliest and was controversial for centuries. Google it.

My original point was that belief has proceeded from many gods to a few gods to one god to zero. The Christian doctrine of the Trinity is a small retrograde. Your argument do include Jews in the retrograde, even if true, which it is not, does not alter the direction of the trend.

By the way, didn't Constantine (4th century) have Christians put to death if they did not accept the Doctrine of the Trinity?
__________________
Sapere aude
Actor is offline  
Old 04-15-2017, 01:59 PM   #731
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward
 
PaceAdvantage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Del Boca Vista
Posts: 78,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Your "Jewish friends" are ignorant of the OT scriptures.
Where in the OT is there any embrace of anything like the Trinity? Father, Son and Holy Ghost? Where is that in the Tanakh?

I know, you're going to cite all the instances in the OT where God refers or is referred to with a plural...as in Genesis:

"Then God said, "Let us make humankind in our image, according to our likeness; and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the wild animals of the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps upon the earth"

That's a stretch and a half...

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 04-15-2017 at 02:02 PM.
PaceAdvantage is offline  
Old 04-15-2017, 02:45 PM   #732
boxcar
Registered User
 
boxcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 45,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Where in the OT is there any embrace of anything like the Trinity? Father, Son and Holy Ghost? Where is that in the Tanakh?

I know, you're going to cite all the instances in the OT where God refers or is referred to with a plural...as in Genesis:

"Then God said, "Let us make humankind in our image, according to our likeness; and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the wild animals of the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps upon the earth"

That's a stretch and a half...
Before I answer...explain, please, why are "all the instances in the OT a stretch and a half"? Would you have a reasonable, viable, logical explanation for each instance or do you just conveniently lump them altogether and summarily dismiss them in favor of some fanciful interpretation of the We's and Us's, etc?
__________________
Consistent profits can only be made on the basis of analysis that is far from obvious to the majority. - anonymous guru
boxcar is offline  
Old 04-16-2017, 07:49 PM   #733
Actor
Librocubicularist
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 10,322
WHAT WE MUST DO

An excerpt.
Quote:
We want to stand upon our own feet and look fair and square at the world—its good facts, its bad facts, its beauties, and its ugliness; see the world as it is, and be not afraid of it. Conquer the world by intelligence, and not merely by being slavishly subdued by the terror that comes from it. The whole conception of God is a conception derived from the ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men. When you hear people in church debasing themselves and saying that they are miserable sinners, and all the rest of it, it seems contemptible and not worthy of self-respecting human beings. We ought to stand up and look the world frankly in the face. We ought to make the best we can of the world, and if it is not so good as we wish, after all it will still be better than what these others have made of it in all these ages. A good world needs knowledge, kindliness, and courage; it does not need a regretful hankering after the past, or a fettering of the free intelligence by the words uttered long ago by ignorant men. It needs a fearless outlook and a free intelligence. It needs hope for the future, not looking back all the time towards a past that is dead, which we trust will be far surpassed by the future that our intelligence can create.

* Bertrand Russell, Why I Am Not a Christian
__________________
Sapere aude
Actor is offline  
Old 04-16-2017, 07:55 PM   #734
Greyfox
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 18,955
Simply stated, Bertrand Russell was not a Christian because he couldn't bring himself to believe that there is a Hell.
Greyfox is offline  
Old 04-16-2017, 08:37 PM   #735
Actor
Librocubicularist
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 10,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
Simply stated, Bertrand Russell was not a Christian because he couldn't bring himself to believe that there is a Hell.
That oversimplifies and distorts his position.

Quote:
Belief in eternal hell fire was an essential item of Christian belief until pretty recent times. In this country, as you know, it ceased to be an essential item because of a decision of the Privy Council, and from that decision the Archbishop of Canterbury and the Archbishop of York dissented; but in this country our religion is settled by Act of Parliament, and therefore the Privy Council was able to override Their Graces and hell was no longer necessary to a Christian. Consequently I shall not insist that a Christian must believe in hell.

* Bertrand Russell, Why I Am Not a Christian
__________________
Sapere aude
Actor is offline  
Closed Thread




Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Do you use energy percentages?
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 1999 - 2022 -- PaceAdvantage.Com -- All Rights Reserved
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program
designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.